08 Kluger OIL LEAK(S)

ozkluger

Long story cut short. (names not mentioned...)

08 Kluger, really happy with the cars performance, comfort etc.

2 days after the first 6 month service I found oil on tray/cover under engine. (not dripping, just wet/oily)

Thought it was spilt oil during the service so I took car back to dealer to sort out.

2 hours later they call - Oh, is an oil leak from engine - engine needs to come out to fix.

Not happy, but hey, things happen and it is under warranty.

3 days later vehicle is "fully tested and ready for pickup."

Open bonnet to inspect before leaving and find no plastic engine cover (eventually found it on upside down on back seat)

Not happy x 2 - dealer took vehicle away to refit cover.

2 days later I look under the car and now see oil LEAKING/DRIPPING out onto driveway (previously only had seeping oil with no drips, now have dripping oil after the 'repair')

Not happy x 3

Checked under the bonnet further and found NO water/coolant in expansion tank and clip that connects air inlet hose to engine totally loose (i.e. never done up after air intake put back on engine) Thinking what else is missing/forgotten that I can't see?

Now I am VERY unhappy - dropped off for repair.

Hopefully it will be correctly repaired this time. No confidence in dealer but Toyota say they have to fix as they had the first 'attempt'

Any history of oil leaks? in this engine?

ALWAYS check over your car after a service.

Never seen any oil leaks with the new Klugers...

The oil filters can sometimes cause a bit of spillage on the covers underneath that would leave an oily stain/wetness if not cleaned up properly but shouldn't be dripping at all...

Sounds like you've had a very poor service from your dealer... Thats the kinda stuff that makes us all look bad...

That apprentice need to get shot!

Oil leak is 100% from the oil filter. They are not screw on probably. Otherwise they will not be able to repair any engine leak. Or the sump plug is loose and not screw on properly, but it is harder to tighten the oil filter compare with a simple nut.

Why will they take the engine out when the leak is not properly sorted first.

Oil leak from engine itself never good. And they cannot repair it within 3 x 8 hour shift, judging how careless they are... they would not open a variable valve engine and put it back in 3 days!

OZKluger

Sorry to hear of such a bad experience, if I were you I would go straight to Toyota and request a full inspection at the dealers cost and a written report that all is back together perfectly, and even ask for an extension of Warranty.

I dont like upsetting dealers but what has happened to your car is lack of Quality Control and bridging on incompetent and should be reported.

Regards

DHOUS

If it was found to be an BIG Engine oil Leak which I find very hard to believe Toyota would have replaced the whole engine JUST to be sure especially if they were going to take it out??? it does not make sense, I go with the apprentice filter theory personally.

Keep us informed please our drive way is all clear as I don't let any drippers on it!

Edited by PC XT

LOL... Toyota wont replace the engine for the hell of it...

Oil leak repair will cost them maybe $300 for parts and labour...

Engines are worth a whole lot more than that in parts let alone labour added on top...

I agree but if the engine had major issues, generally user based by carelessness of the owner/servicer Toyota may recommend an engine change, who pays the bill is a different story!

I may not have been clear with the initial description.

Engine was not replaced. Dealer needed to take it out to get the front timing cover off to re-seal the 'goo' that they used to seal the timing cover to engine at manufacture. (the front timing cover is so close to the RHS wheel arch there is not enough room to remove & refit without taking the engine out)

They said looks like the initial engine oil leak was at a section where 'goo/black silastic sealant stuff' was very thin/poorly applied at manufacture. They re-sealed the cover and put engine back in. No parts needed replacement (just the sealant)

It gets better though...

The second leak was actually transmission fluid (they say this must have been caused when they were putting the engine back in as they have to remove & then reinsert the rear driveshaft)

It was a pity that after picking the vehicle up the last time. I thoroughly checked over the vehicle before driving away this time and found the plastic tray/cover underneath the vehicle engine area had the rear two bolts/screws loose (they had been done up 2 turns by hand and had 80% thread left to screw in. The cover/tray was totally loose on the back end and would eventually have flapped/vibrated loose and dragged on the road) It went straight back into the workshop to get tightened up and re checked.

Very embarassing for the dealer after all their issues trying to repair this vehicle. Once again I wonder what else is wrong that I can't see.

I did originally report the whole sequence of events to Toyota 'care/help line' They were very helpful and assited in arranging for the dealer to start sorting out the issue but I have not had any call back from Toyota to see how/if the repair was completed. I will be calling them to let them know of result (with screws left loose).

Hopefully the LAST visit to that dealer.

[

Sounds like its finally sorted thats the main thing

quote name=ozkluger' date='Aug 28 2008, 10:02 AM' post='258786]

I may not have been clear with the initial description.

Engine was not replaced. Dealer needed to take it out to get the front timing cover off to re-seal the 'goo' that they used to seal the timing cover to engine at manufacture. (the front timing cover is so close to the RHS wheel arch there is not enough room to remove & refit without taking the engine out)

They said looks like the initial engine oil leak was at a section where 'goo/black silastic sealant stuff' was very thin/poorly applied at manufacture. They re-sealed the cover and put engine back in. No parts needed replacement (just the sealant)

It gets better though...

The second leak was actually transmission fluid (they say this must have been caused when they were putting the engine back in as they have to remove & then reinsert the rear drive-shaft)

It was a pity that after picking the vehicle up the last time. I thoroughly checked over the vehicle before driving away this time and found the plastic tray/cover underneath the vehicle engine area had the rear two bolts/screws loose (they had been done up 2 turns by hand and had 80% thread left to screw in. The cover/tray was totally loose on the back end and would eventually have flapped/vibrated loose and dragged on the road) It went straight back into the workshop to get tightened up and re checked.

Very embarrassing for the dealer after all their issues trying to repair this vehicle. Once again I wonder what else is wrong that I can't see.

I did originally report the whole sequence of events to Toyota 'care/help line' They were very helpful and assisted in arranging for the dealer to start sorting out the issue but I have not had any call back from Toyota to see how/if the repair was completed. I will be calling them to let them know of result (with screws left loose).

• 2 weeks later...
[

Sounds like its finally sorted thats the main thing

quote name=ozkluger' date='Aug 28 2008, 10:02 AM' post='258786]

Just an update:

Engine all good since last repair - NO leaks now. :)

Stacker CD player ginving 'ERROR-3" message most fo the time now. Must just be a coincidence that it failed straight after service.

Dealer says they need to take out CD plkayer to find serial numner, put it back, then order a new one and swap it over. Will be going to different dealer to get CD player sorted. (not a major issue as don't use the CD player round town)