Fuel consumption

sammy

Quick question (well i suppose with the cost of petrol these days it may turn out to be a long answer) the Boss' (ie wife) Kluger never shows less than 16.5 - 17.0 litres per 100 as consumption. Mostly inner city/suburban driving.

having said that, on occassional trips to southern highlands and the like it has shown 10.5 per 100kms

car is going in for its 10K services, even though only showing 5,200 on odometer (the usual, time or Km's whichever sooner, in our case its always the time) and thinking of asking the dealer to check whether all is OK with engine mangement etc tec..

happy for you guys to advise on what you think

Search is your friend Sammy,

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=13314

That have tonne of info regarding fuel, economy and how it is done.

Yes, women have heavy foot and they have no bloody idea how to drive smoothly. The whole time I am driving the Kluger I can beat her set average fuel consumption and drop by 0.2-0.3L/100km every trip of 10km.

I measure I drive around 13-14L/100km while she is doing 16L/100km. So AWD in a woman driver, that will be right. Haha.

Quick question (well i suppose with the cost of petrol these days it may turn out to be a long answer) the Boss' (ie wife) Kluger never shows less than 16.5 - 17.0 litres per 100 as consumption. Mostly inner city/suburban driving.

having said that, on occassional trips to southern highlands and the like it has shown 10.5 per 100kms

car is going in for its 10K services, even though only showing 5,200 on odometer (the usual, time or Km's whichever sooner, in our case its always the time) and thinking of asking the dealer to check whether all is OK with engine mangement etc tec..

As a female driver who does most of her driving within 5km radius from home, 16-17 is normal for me If I dont take it easy :nono: If I am on my best behaviour that drops to 12-14 and yes, hubby always gets better economy than me even though he seems to drive the car alot harder than I do??? Maybe its because he just has a better understanding of the mechanical side of the car and knows "how" to drive it properly IYKWIM (Advantage of a misspent youth)

No need to share all your lady driver jokes guys, :whistling: I can imagine what you are all going to say

LOL same with my wife, she keeps it up at 14L while it seems to drop for me. Our avg for 6000kms is 13.4L since new, not too bad as it is 75% short slow trips and only 25% hwy. Going to adelaid so I will see how we go, i think this avg will drop into 12's, with AWD.

As a female driver who does most of her driving within 5km radius from home, 16-17 is normal for me If I dont take it easy :nono: If I am on my best behaviour that drops to 12-14 and yes, hubby always gets better economy than me even though he seems to drive the car alot harder than I do??? Maybe its because he just has a better understanding of the mechanical side of the car and knows "how" to drive it properly IYKWIM (Advantage of a misspent youth)

No need to share all your lady driver jokes guys, :whistling: I can imagine what you are all going to say

in her defence she did come out of a 4 cylinder RAV so she may be enjoying and exploiting the feel of 200 odd Kw's more so that the barely 100 of old (she won't admit as much though) LOL

It is not as simple as getting a light right foot.

Getting good economy really have to read the traffic and use as least brake as possible. That means roll your car, read the lights on the cross direction and keep some speed until your light turn green. That makes a big difference. I can do 11L/100km in 60 zone doing this with light traffic. You see some cyclists time it to perfection so they don't have to unclip their cleats, unless they are balance their bike standing still.

What kills economy is stop and start, the most fuel is used to kick to 60kmh.

Howver, I don't find a lot of difference if you get there fast or slow. In fact, on the flat road it will be better to get to speed limit early. And on hills if you are stuck in the lower gear you tend to chew more fuel. The instance bar on the screen is your friend and have a look at that. Most hill in Eastern Melbourne suburb like Doncaster I can get up under 20L/100km instant on cruising speed.

I am also one for trying to jusge the timing of lights to minimise beign stationary. We also live on a hill and are surrounded by quite undulating topo' which means we are goping up and down a fair bit to end up at the same altitude or lower! Having said that, I can still always manage to better my wife's fuel economy. She always seems to be on and off the throttle even when driving along a continuous stretch. Her excuse is high heels but she does it regardless of what she's wearing...

And as most would know, when you offer advice you get your head shot off! She never drives when I'm in the car unless I'm, er, not capable. :rolleyes:

And as most would know, when you offer advice you get your head shot off! She never drives when I'm in the car unless I'm, er, not capable. :rolleyes:

In my experience this is when you guys seem to offer the most advice <_< haha

Hubby always tells me I dont look far enough ahead when I drive. I am trying to improve on this and yes that little screen has changed my driving style dramatically. I will beat him one day (with fuel economy that is , not physically !)

I just don't know how some get such bad economy???? :blink:

Today & Yesterday setting various software options my VBOX3 for an upcoming interstate tuning trip I did no fewer than 25!!! 0-100kph calibration tests and 4 full x 403 meter tests, combined with a fair bit of stop starting and idle time setting my data logger and Lap Top.

My Fuel usage on 91 oct was a massive 12.6lt per 100km (over 300+km traveled on this tank).

The Kluger is an excellent vehicle for this as it uses so little fuel and is very consistent with the Automatic :)

As a side note the 0-100kph times varied from a best (starting from cold and 10km drive to test location) of 7.74 seconds (two way average of 7.75 seconds!) on half tank of fuel carrying some extra gear to a worst today of 8.26 seconds (ran 8.25, 8.26, 8.28 back to back to back no cool down between with hot inlet manifold) *on a fully heat soaked engine* and ambient temp of 20 deg C........ after a small cool down to next test location it ran 7.94 & 15.96 @ 141.92kph time, then on return run (30 seconds time from first test) 8.01 seconds & 16.04 @ 140.20kph 400m time.

These things are tough as nails and use bugger all fuel :clap:

When I use up to 16lt per 100km (and thats not very often) its on a week when I dont venture more than 5km from home. All my driving for the week is short runs and as I live in a built up area of Melbourne its just traffic light after traffic light. Usually the car has not even warmed up and I am at my destination.

On recent trips of 80km or more I used 10.5lt and 9lt which is fantastic. Even if the screen is showing usage of 16lt just one round trip of 20km, where the car gets a chance to warm up and actually reach 80km/h, the consumption will drop to 12-13 very quickly.

Driving conditions play a huge part in fuel consumption and its hard to compare this when one driver may do 500km a week, a mixture of freeway and heavy traffic and then I may do 100km of short stop start runs.

I think we will all agree that for a car of its size, the fuel consumption is pretty amazing.

For the record out best run was 2.3lt when driving 17km from the top of Mt Donna Buang to the bottom :yahoo: If only all driving was down hill like that

• 3 weeks later...

update

I have noticed that when i fill up on tuesdays, the fuel economy increases. I have been testing a few independant places and found one which had extremely good results, was doing 14 on shell and with the same trips to school etc, shopping, regular independant fuel was 11.5!

I havent had a chance to use bp as yet(none close) anyone got petrol they find works well?(avg since i bought car is 13.7! which i hope will drop dramatically after we return from adelaid!

Over the last 8,000km I have averaged 11.4litres per 100 with the majority of that being city driving.

However, I recently did a 500km round trip to see my parents and the Kluger returned an amazing 8.2l/100!!!! I sat with the needle on about 105km/h which meant I probably spent about 20 - 25 minutes or so extra in the car, but the result was worth it.

Over the last 8,000km I have averaged 11.4litres per 100 with the majority of that being city driving.

However, I recently did a 500km round trip to see my parents and the Kluger returned an amazing 8.2l/100!!!! I sat with the needle on about 105km/h which meant I probably spent about 20 - 25 minutes or so extra in the car, but the result was worth it.

To ad my latest to this:

I drove from Bairnsdale to Carrum Downs a couple of weeks ago and did 8.6lt per 100km from my driveway to the company I was visiting, on the way home I was stuck in peak hour traffic getting back onto the freeway for a fair while so lots of idling + got lost trying to find turn off lol.. by the time I got back home the return consumption total was 8.9lt per 100km ! (near 600km round trip)

Temp of air going down was 18 deg C

Return was 4 to 5 deg C (so used more fuel)

This was running 91 Octane fuel from Woolies too :)

KX-S 4WD version ;)

5000km on odo

Mobil 1 0W-40 engine oil

Edited by RICE RACING

That is awesome!

I did regularly for 2 years from Narre Warren to Traralgon in a Camry V6. Back then it is barely over 140kW and return a 7.8 on 95 RON fuel and 8.2L on 91RON. So it is very impressive stuff.

if you're doing city driving, you use more petrol, i have a 2000 Hyundai trajet V6 2.7 ltr., uses the same amount of petrol right around the 16 to 17 ltrs./ 100 kms., but if i drive on highways, specially on the freeways, uses around 10 ltrs. so there's nothing wrong with your ecu. ;)

cheers,

jermaine

• 3 weeks later...