clutch + lightened fly wheel

striker8881

ok im having a feeling that my clutch is starting to have its way out

so im gonna start deciding how to go with a new one

just wanna know you guys opinion

normal exedy clutch or go heavy duty?

i kinda wanna feel the extra grip

and how much better performance would a lightened flywheel give??

my friend put one in his commodore and said it went a hell of a lot better

so just wondering what you guys know and rekon?

there will be less fuel efficiency. you will notice a diff feeling when taking off from a stop and acceleration will be better as the rpms rise faster, and when you change gear it will drop the rpms faster and will be way cool when your handing it its *****, but driving casually it will get some getting used to.

the reason the fuel efficiency will decrease is because the heavier the fly wheel, the more inertia there will be to push power to the wheels, so a light(er) flywheel will not hold as much inertia, so this means that engine braking, acceleration will be improved but maintaining a speed will be harder, so the car will need more throttle to maintain a certain speed as apposed to a heavy flywheel.

also when going up very steep hills you will see a heap of difference with the whole inertia thing, you will notice your car drop speed very quickly when changing gears or when you let off the throttle.

Edited by black turkey

na it will be a total bitch trying to hill start, but man the pros far outweigh the cons, you will have a more responsive car, smoother and faster acceleration (by faster i don't mean lots faster just better, so dont expect to shave seconds off 0-100 lol, but wouldnt that be sweet, no more 02+ corollas beating us...) quicker shifts, better engine breaking.

but yeah maintaining a speed will be more of an effort on the car, the faster revving will be more stress on tranny, easier to stall on take off, acclerating through gears up a hill wont have an effect that will make you think you shouldnt have done it, it will just be different.

oh here is a good example, you know how when you change 1st to 2nd at rev limiter or 6000+ there is a pretty long throw when the car engages 2nd, this will be less noticable, but still be there cos our gear stick and shift gates are stupid, and should only be found in 4wd. my dads hilux has a shorter gear throw our celica.

Got into a friends Nissan Pulsar a few months back which had a light flywheel on it (3.9kg)...

As soon as you press the throttle on neutral, the revs just jump!!

Also, when you take off, the car starts to boogie faster than the average flywheel, also forgot to mention I did stall his car the first time.

I'd say its a positive modification in most aspects...... Bang for your buck!

If you are gettting lightened fly wheel definatly get fidanza. Im waiting for it to arrive. I have exedy heavy duty clutch and aparently together they are awesome. As for being beaten by sportivos :P must be some ****ty driving or some fast sportivos lol.

where bouts you getting you fly wheel from?

mine does 0-100 in just abit under 10

pod filter with ceramic piping

open bonnet direct to filter

2.25 inch complete exhaust system

polished and ported head

new pistons and rings

short shifter

thats all i can think of at the moment

i dont know exactly what the last owner did when he rebuilt it

i dont know where to get the flywheel from to be honest

im waiting for the clutch i have now to start to go before i think of that

02 corollas beating us?

never lost to one =]

haha

modified engine =DDD

As for being beaten by sportivos :P must be some ****ty driving or some fast sportivos lol.
lol are talking about the same celica? 7th gen? becaus 7th gen stock is quicker than sportivo stock!! 100kg lighter.

fellas ...... i give u exhibit A

...... corolla > 7th gen hands down :P :P :P :P

on topic the lightened flywheel is not so much a power adding mod but more attempting to free up some of the load on ur engine ...... seems to boost responsiveness in the revs .... i have heard complaints that it then makes ur revs drop faster during gear changes but meh i havent noticed in anything new in that arena ......

we are reffering to 5th gen celica's. thats what striker has so i thought it was clear that thats what i was talking about.

and thats a turbo corolla lol, unfair. i would still pick 7th gen celica over sportivo corolla, cos the corolla still looks like a corolla from the inside.

as for getting the flywheel, if you know a mechanic personally, just ask them to order it and still the clutch and flywheel for you. but before you do that, make a video accelerating through the first few gears before and after the flywheel.

Keep in mind that a lightend fly wheel also means a weaker fly wheel... Tried it once and yes it does red line in a heart beat but i managed to break mine downshifting to engine break and broke the fly wheel off at the crank. Keep in mind though my engine has had a bit of work done to it and this might not be a problem in a stock or almost stock celica

02 corollas beating us?

never lost to one =]

haha

modified engine =DDD

As for being beaten by sportivos :P must be some ****ty driving or some fast sportivos lol.
lol are talking about the same celica? 7th gen? becaus 7th gen stock is quicker than sportivo stock!! 100kg lighter.

fellas ...... i give u exhibit A

...... corolla > 7th gen hands down :P :P :P :P

on topic the lightened flywheel is not so much a power adding mod but more attempting to free up some of the load on ur engine ...... seems to boost responsiveness in the revs .... i have heard complaints that it then makes ur revs drop faster during gear changes but meh i havent noticed in anything new in that arena ......

YOU :P

so you were downshifting to slow down?

and it just broke?

he might have to correct me but his motor is pretty worked for a 3sge non turbo, and im pretty sure his car would have a much higher rev limiter than the stock 7500rpm (i think thats the stock limit?) and to break the flywheel i would assume he did this often? try and driving at 100 in 3rd and then put the gear stick in second and drop the clutch, you can rev match it a bit if u want but its right on the limiter so... do it with your new flywheel and it will show you the kind of pressure it would be going through.

so you were downshifting to slow down?

and it just broke?

he might have to correct me but his motor is pretty worked for a 3sge non turbo, and im pretty sure his car would have a much higher rev limiter than the stock 7500rpm (i think thats the stock limit?) and to break the flywheel i would assume he did this often? try and driving at 100 in 3rd and then put the gear stick in second and drop the clutch, you can rev match it a bit if u want but its right on the limiter so... do it with your new flywheel and it will show you the kind of pressure it would be going through.

Yeah your right. I had done this a few times and my engine is pushing a bit more power out than a stock 3s-ge.. it also puts out more than some 3s-GTE's, My engine rev's past 9000rpm before the limiter holds me back. I should also mention i do work my car pretty hard most days. I like to show off what a little celica can do against... Well pretty mush anything that revs up next to me.

*** i want your car, or motor

Hahahaha get in line mate, Edit to the last post. On the track today i found it only rev's to a bit before the 9000 rpm mark. Sorry about the error. The ST162 with the monster engine in it is off the road for now though while i try to find a way to sneek it past the RTA. After its back on the road it will be ready to line up against a Nissan Pulsar ET in a point to point drag race. The ET had been rebuilt by my neighbour in an attempt to prove nissan's are better than toyota's. And he has done a LOT of work to it. Last i herd it cracked and engine block from running to much turbo boost so it should be a good race :lol: