Optitron shows wrong range to empty

outlear

I have a Levin ZR and the range to empty display seems to be inconsistant with the km/100km (MPG). For example when I fill the tank to the brim with what must be 50 plus litres of fuel and I am averaging 6.9l/100km the the range to empty should be in the region of 700 - 800 km however it shows only 460km. Has anybody else had this problem? I am getting around 700km plus out of the tank so the display is definitely wrong.

It's based off a standard consumption, not what you had last.

when you say its based of the standard consumption, the vehicle has only done just over 1000kms, and if you do a manual calculation i.e. Car came from dealer with full tank of gas 22km on the clock, after 550km I fill the tank up with 39litres of fuel that equates to a consumption of 7.09l/ 100km. The fuel tank holds 55 litres but lets say 50 then surely the range to empty should read 50 divide 7.09 times 100 = 705 or at least somewhere near this

Distance to empty can be misleading, generally most cars will fuel-starve (ie DIE) when going around corners/roundabouts/up hills with up to 5L left in the tank - does distance to empty take this into account?

And how do you know that the car came with a FULL tank of petrol? The gauge said so? Remember that needle fuel gauges are horribly inaccurate, and often inconsistent. I've dreamt of an invention that measures the consumption of petrol by comparing flow rate into and out of the fuel rail, and doing a bit of magic to then calculate fuel consumption and distance/litres to empty. Should be fairly simple if you know the signals from the ECU and a bit of electronics, but I can't be ****d making it :P

Distance to empty can be misleading, generally most cars will fuel-starve (ie DIE) when going around corners/roundabouts/up hills with up to 5L left in the tank - does distance to empty take this into account?

And how do you know that the car came with a FULL tank of petrol? The gauge said so? Remember that needle fuel gauges are horribly inaccurate, and often inconsistent.

if the tank wasn't full then as I put 39 litres to fill it up means the car is even more economical than I thought and the range read out is even further out.

How the hell do you avg 6.9L/100Km?

A. You drive like a great-grandma

B. You're always driving downhill

C. Your car runs on candy

Hi Saj my wife uses the car mostly and drives on the Freeway to work, as she is always going against the flow of traffic I guess this is why we get the economy.

A preset consumption is pre-programmed in there. The rate it falls in terms of the number will just be slower than what you'd actually do. Also 0km distances doesn't really mean 0. It is quite conservative and you can drive it for a bit after it hits 0. Whether or not you're game enough to risk it is up to you.

Btw, I'm getting 7.3L/100km with mostly constant city driving with some time driving into the bumper to bumper CBD. A tip is to stick to the speed limit. It is actually amazing doing 60+ affects consumption.

Oh, in on candy..... want to get it below 6L/100km.

Funny my zr shows distance to empty any where between 567 - 579km but my average consumption shows 7.2l/100km? Actual consumption is an average of 7.4l/100km by calculation with fuel receipt and calculator ;) How the hell is any one getting 6.9l/100km? Im 40 my cars a manual and i drive most of the time out of traffic like an old mole.

A preset consumption is pre-programmed in there. The rate it falls in terms of the number will just be slower than what you'd actually do. Also 0km distances doesn't really mean 0. It is quite conservative and you can drive it for a bit after it hits 0. Whether or not you're game enough to risk it is up to you.

Btw, I'm getting 7.3L/100km with mostly constant city driving with some time driving into the bumper to bumper CBD. A tip is to stick to the speed limit. It is actually amazing doing 60+ affects consumption.

Oh, in on candy..... want to get it below 6L/100km.

I acutally get better fuel consumption cruising on higher speed.

I acutally get better fuel consumption cruising on higher speed.

as does everyone, because you require less energy to keep the car rolling at a constant speed once established than you would need accelerating around everywhere.

I think I get the worst fuel consumption on this board.

It averages 8.2L/100Km and when I fill up to full, the max i've seen on my range is 464Km. However that doesn't mean squat, because I remember I was able to get 500+ on that tank.

I drive from Balwyn to Port Melbourne and back everyday through the heart of the city which would also explain my high consumption.

I think I get the worst fuel consumption on this board.

It averages 8.2L/100Km and when I fill up to full, the max i've seen on my range is 464Km. However that doesn't mean squat, because I remember I was able to get 500+ on that tank.

I drive from Balwyn to Port Melbourne and back everyday through the heart of the city which would also explain my high consumption.

On my last fill up the trip computer indicated an average of 6.9L/100Km for a total distance of 664Km using 48.37Litres. The distance to empty reading indicated 0km for the last 10km of the trip. Actual calculated average of 7.28L/100Km using the figures above. My vehicle is a 2008 Corolla Ascent Auto. My drive is from Essendon to Sandringham, with no freeway driving.

I have a couple of questions

1) With the distance to empty indicating 0Km with approx 10 litres remaining in the tank, can the trip computer be recalibrated to show more accurate figures.

2) The ave fuel consumption figure indicated by the computer of 6.9L/100Km compared to 7.28L/100Km calculated indicates approximately a 5.5% difference. Again can the trip computer be recalibrated to show more accurate figures.