Possible suspension help

AndrewLy

Hi all,

I have a little problem with my suspension i think. Just recently i've noticed when i turn my wheels and go over bumps, one of my front wheels is making a knocking noise. kind of sounds like you are entering on a metal ramp or something like that.

I asked a mate and he goes it can possibly be my CV boot joint but im not to sure because its supposed to have a constant clicking noise when i turn.

im running on king super lows on stock shocks, been probably between 25 - 30k's with them so thinking it might be my shocks that are going. don't know how long this has been going on for because i constanly have my stereo on.

any thoughts?

Cheers

Yeah, CV joints click when they are going/gone. Doesn't always make nosie when turning though.

If you have coilovers with upper pillowball mounts then a clicking or springing noise can also be made by the pillowball joint. Just add a little oil to the ball and its all good again.

Could be any number of flogged-out bushes in the front suspension too. Don't be so quick to assume it's the shocks. Easiest way to test for stuffed shocks is to press down on each corner of the car one at a time and let go and see how it rebounds. If the car settles within one bounce, then the shocks are fine. If it bobbles up and down a few times (as if there was no shocks, just springs), then the shocks are stuffed.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Could be any number of flogged-out bushes in the front suspension too. Don't be so quick to assume it's the shocks. Easiest way to test for stuffed shocks is to press down on each corner of the car one at a time and let go and see how it rebounds. If the car settles within one bounce, then the shocks are fine. If it bobbles up and down a few times (as if there was no shocks, just springs), then the shocks are stuffed.

so are flogged out bushes easy to replace? or will i need a professional to do it?

i have already tried to press down on both corners and they seem to be ok

Edited by AndrewLy

as a mechanic friend once told me. The shocks don't make noise (especially a knocking noise) whether they're fubar'd or not. like other have said, check pillow mounts, and control arm bushes. If they need replacing, save yourself the headache and time and take it to a professional. I changed the bushes on my old car once. Took me hours for something that should take 1. You'll need a hydraulic press to get the old bushes out of the control arm.

Umm why is everyone talking about pillow mounts when he is on stock shocks????

mate easiest wy to check is jack the car up and have a look at the leg of the strut. If you have oil coming from the top then their stuffed. It won't be a suspension bush trust me on that one. If it is a CV noise do you have split boots?? If you do then it could be that.

Best thing to replace the stock shocks with is Koni's. work well with king springs. Pm me if you want some prices...

• 2 weeks later...

thanks very much for your replies it was very much appreciated.

my friend who installed my rear sway did not do up a bolt tight enough which was causing a knocking sound everytime i went over bumps.

sorry for wasting your time, long live the stock shocks!

can someone please close this thread