Rav4 Towing a Caravan

dakodamemphis

In saying that we sat on 110 and we made it to Yarrawonga on one tank of fuel, roughly 350kms. Mind you I did fill up with Shell Optimax. I have been using that recently and have found the Rav is running so well, good fuel consumption and feels nice and smooth.

This is true. Until I traded in my 4 cyl manual RAV4 recently, I used to run it on premium unleaded. I found Shell was the most suitable. It definitely gave better fuel economy and more responsive.

I used to pull a trailer with one scoop (half a ton) of gravel. It felt light, however when I used it for towing an empty double tandem trailer with brakes from Bunnings, I could really feel the weight behind the car.

Edited by conroe

Hi All

Sorry haven't posted in a while.

Well have just come back from a big trip down through Mt gambier to Robe South Australia.

Firstly the Rav didn't miss a beat, with two adults, two children and two 30kg dogs she did brilliantly.

She pulled a Jayco swan fully loaded and I barely new it was there. Ok ok get to the part everyone wants to know, Fuel. I did just on 1000 kms some with the caravan off, but mostly on and I spent $200 on fuel. Stoked.

It was a fantasic trip, quite cold but brilliant.

I also did some beach driving... Yes beach driving.

It was great, the Rav did so well. We went up and down huge sand dunes, across soft beach, over rottenly rough road and the Rav did it, easily.

I can NOT fault this car, it is the best car I've ever had.

Next big trip is up to Eden in Nsw, can't wait.

Anyone eles be doing any caravanning or Off roading.

I see some very underpowered and poorly setup vehicles pulling large vans come through town.

Makes me fear for them as a decent crosswind will spell the end of their happy days.

Get a car that can tow what you want, safely.

If your Rav can do it, then good luck to you, but if your 4 cylinder struggles, maybe that is telling you something.

Jap, I agree but that is NOT what I have been saying. I have been through Gail force winds with my set up and I had to slow yes. If your an idiot who has no experience what so even and does stupid things, and buys a van that I to big for your car, then you may get hurt. Agreed, but this forum is about discussing those points and issues. If you have had experience with a Rav4 towing a caravan then by all means add you post. 2.4 to V8 turbo, if your going into gail force winds, up sand dune, over cliffs your going to have to slow down and you should have some experience. If you don't have experience then you do what most people do and get onto a forum and ask other peoples opinions, good and bad so you can get a basic understanding and then go and try for yourself.

I only post FIRST hand experience, in a Rav. If you have the same and have had bad experience then add your post I'd love to hear and learn from you.

Get out and about, Enjoy

Safety is everyones concern, whether they have first hand experience in the matter or not.

I've had a lot of towing experience, one major spill so far.

You're correct in saying no vehicle is infallible.

If you're a caravanner and you do the speed limit or close to, you got my vote :)

• 1 month later...

I am glad to have read this thread with first hand experience on the rav4. I will probably not do any towing at first but wanted to know the the rav4 V6 was still capable to do some off roading. I will be doing some fossicking/metal detecting around Australia so really only need to be able to do basic 4wheel driving where a normal 2wheel drive would not normally go.

But at the same time I will be traveling large distances and wanted to be comfortable and have highway power.

I have heard reports it can be a bit choppy/bouncy when offroad and not so much car like when highway driving?

would it be not much different to driving a ute which has that bounce tendency? or way better?

Because if my wifes disability I need to know she won't be flopping about all over the place.

Of course i will be doing test drives before i purchase anyway though.

I am also going to hire one this week for a short trip to Roma and back.(brisbane) to get some idea.

I also read somewhere that rav4 made some minor changes this year?

I really wanted teh landcrusier turbo deisel but just can't justify the $100K price tag yet.

So i looked at the kluger & prado but decided to go for the top of the bottom range rav4 ZR6 instead as its very close overall to the kluger and prado anyway and has all the niceties :)

russ

• 2 weeks later...

Russ,

I have had my ZR6 for about 15 months, and am almost* completely delighted with it. Like you, I looked at Kluger and Prado before deciding that I didn't need the extra size, weight, third row seats, etc. (not to mention the higher price tag.)

I find the RAV a great highway car - comfortable, good visibility, very easy to get in and out of, and no shortage of power when wanted.

It should handle just about any dirt road you throw it at, but it isn't a hairy-chested 4WD and it can't go literally anywhere! I took mine down a very steep and rocky 4WD track without any trouble, but I don't think it would have gone up the same track (would need a vehicle with low range). However, I have driven along quite rutted roads, creek beds, etc with no trouble at all. Ground clearance and angles in the RAV are very good, only a little less than the Prado, and a lot better than, say, the Mazda SUVs. I have certainly been able to go a lot further than I would ever have in a 2WD (my last car was a Commodore that scraped the ground when I backed out of my driveway!)

Hiring is a good idea. What did you think?

* My two gripes: 1) fuel consumption when towing a caravan! and 2) how can a top-of-the-range vehicle in this day and age be sold without a proper trip computer!!!

Hi Sandshoe

Glad to hear your looking at some other options. There really are some nice vans around. Glad to hear your not looking at upgrading your Rav.

Have just come back from a trip to Yarrawonga. The Rav did really well. It was quite hilly as you know you go up over the Great divide. I didnt use cruise ever thought it would push her to much. Was just happy to let her ease up on the hills. In saying that we sat on 110 and we made it to Yarrawonga on one tank of fuel, roughly 350kms. Mind you I did fill up with Shell Optimax. I have been using that recently and have found the Rav is running so well, good fuel consumption and feels nice and smooth.

Sandshoe I will send you a message with what I have dont to the rav to try and improve Fuel consumption, it has most deffinatly worked. I am very impressed with what has helped and as you can see I am getting good mileage. I will not post it on here as there are a lot of well lets just say (f*#$*) that dont like other peoples help and opinions.

Anyways, am planning a trip down to Robe in couple of weeks. Have planned to do the beach trip from Robe to Beachport. Have been told to allow a full day and to take some special equipment ect. But cant wait. AM not excpecting the Rav to have any problems. You can clearly see the track on Google Earth and it looks great.

Will let you know how it goes.

Get out and about, Enjoy.

Hi All.

Rorlflet, glad you liked my post. Im sure you were going to post something on it, so make sure you get around to it. Enjoy all forms of critisum.

Well update time..

Have just gor back from a huge trip up north, up the Melbourne to Sydney highway, down through Canberra, down one of the biggest steepest decents Ive nearly ever done,(towing a caravan) to Batemnas Bay. What a beautiful place it is. Warm weather, nice beaches, nice restaurants and good caravan parks.

Took us nearly 10 hours to get there, and the Rav never missed a beat. Yes it did cost a good price in petrol but, what are you going to do. All up cost about $300 for 3200kms. Not bad for a small SUV. We did some great driving, anyone that has been over The Great Divide from Canberra to Batemans Bay knows how incredible it is. We have some awesome counrty around us. I highly recomend going up North and checking it out. We headed home down through Bega, Merimbula stopping at Eden for a couple of nights. Who! Eden is small and quant and beautiful. Whales everywhere this time of year. We saw 7 pods scattered all over the open ocean, after we had driven 35kms through Ben Boud National Park. Limstone kind of disty roads. But easy kind of drive. You really need to watch out for on coming traffic as its a windy narrow road.

Well, the Rav did wonderfully. If your looking to thrash around and go hell for leather, then this might not be the right car for you to tow a caravan with. But out on its own, not much for the price would beat it.

Looking forward to hearing some other stories. What has everyone eles been doing?

Well hope the next post will come from WA. Fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I have been reading these discussion threads with keen interest. I have just recently taken an early retirement and at this stage I am planning on towing a caravan with my 2006 RAV4 Cruiser all around Australia for 12 months. The RAV has done 100,000 km already, but they have mainly been between Canberra and Sydney/Newcastle, so not a lot of hard city driving. I was thinking of buying a Jayco Sterling pop top which has an approx tare weight of 1279kg which once loaded would put me right on or just over the limit of the RAV4 rating of 1500kg.

Another option is to down size the caravan to a Jayco Starcraft pop top which has an approx tare weight of 1133kg, which when loaded should be under the RAV4 rating, but only just.

The third option is to trade the RAV4 in for a second hand Kluger of similar age (rating of 2000kg) and buy the Jayco Sterling, although the Starcraft would be a lot easier to tow.

Some modifications would have to be done to the car, I am sure. I plan on heading off next April to follow the sun and escape another winter in Canberra and I am really looking forward to it. Would really appreciate any (constructive) feedback to my post.

Cheers

Hi Cruiser.

If i had my time again and I had some decent money....

I would deffinatly purchase a my Rav4 and my Jayco Swan they are great items, I would however make some mods to my Rav, and i will in the next couple of months. I plan to look at putting a larger fuel tank in, as big as will fit. (If I were you I would at least carry another 20ltr jerrycan.) I will be fitting a custom exsaust to let the engine breath a little easyier. I have fitted a custom air intake that has help her take in air much much easier as well as a K&N Air filter. If I had the resources I would be putting a turbo on her just to give the engine a little bit more kick. But at the moment I am just about to have a mod chip put to increase and stable out the rpms.

I am so very happy with the set-up I have, We are a young family and it suits us perfectly. Im not a mad rush rush get to the destination. I like to take my time and drive as to how the road will let me. If i have to slow up to 80-90 I dont care, Im not busting my bum to go fast. Its a holiday why rush.

As for the Kluger, my understanding of it was.... It has the same motor as the Rav. Maybe Im wrong... but whats the point of having a heavier car with the same motor. The Rav will tow 1500 but its the motor that holds it make. (in my oppinion only) I may be wrong.

Well I hope this helps. And I plan to do the round trip of Australia in 2012 so please keep us informed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

It's been great to read everyone's experiences and opinions about towing with a Rav 4.

Next year I plan to take a year or so to travel around Australia with my wife and our baby son. We will be sticking to the road mostly, dirt in some places but nothing too demanding. I am planning to buy a camper to tow with my 2005 Rav 4 - a Customline Camper or similar weighing 600kg approx unloaded. I would appreciate any advice as to the suitability of my Rav 4 for this trip and what modifications, if any, might be advisable for the Rav to make towing easier and safer.

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I have been reading these discussion threads with keen interest. I have just recently taken an early retirement and at this stage I am planning on towing a caravan with my 2006 RAV4 Cruiser all around Australia for 12 months. The RAV has done 100,000 km already, but they have mainly been between Canberra and Sydney/Newcastle, so not a lot of hard city driving. I was thinking of buying a Jayco Sterling pop top which has an approx tare weight of 1279kg which once loaded would put me right on or just over the limit of the RAV4 rating of 1500kg.

Another option is to down size the caravan to a Jayco Starcraft pop top which has an approx tare weight of 1133kg, which when loaded should be under the RAV4 rating, but only just.

The third option is to trade the RAV4 in for a second hand Kluger of similar age (rating of 2000kg) and buy the Jayco Sterling, although the Starcraft would be a lot easier to tow.

Some modifications would have to be done to the car, I am sure. I plan on heading off next April to follow the sun and escape another winter in Canberra and I am really looking forward to it. Would really appreciate any (constructive) feedback to my post.

Cheers

Hi we have just purchased the discovery and the approx on that is 1265 so i would definatly check the tare on the sterling again , we drive an 03 rav 4 cruzer we are getting staberliser bars fitted and brake controler fitted by jayco, we told them about the 1500 capacity of the rav they said it would be fine as long as we dont go over like a lot do we dont carry water as we stay at van parks , we take the back seats out of the rav 38kg so we can efectivly pack 38 kg in the back to bring the rav back to normal weight but Toyota work out the tow capacity based on the fact you have 4 adults and luggage in the rav so take off the two adults luggage and the back seats and your rav could be as much as 200kg lighter in the rav its self, we will never put 300kg in the van work it out thats like 23 empty 35kgor more gass cylinders if you need more than that you need a semi not a van and yes the rav needs to be OUT of D to climb hill's take your time who needs to rush ,we towed a jayco songbird approx 980 kg around and up the middle of oz ( see newbi introductions ) we did the speed limits were safe to do so but the rav performed great , the trip did not even know it was there ,

from bris to broken hill /port agusta cooberpeady /ularu /alice /kathrin . threeways /Isa /longreach / home cost approx $1,460 we did find if you sit on 90k you get better consumption and most vanners out there are doing the same as long as you do it safely and have reguard for others users /trucks /cars etc you will have no problems.

go for it we are 65 and in no rush and take only what you realy will use

tell

UPDATE THE 17/6 DISCOVERY CAME IN AT 1325 TARE AND BALL 86 so the guy in the last post buying a sterling make sure you pin Jayco down on the tare. not a huge difference but you have to factor this in when filling the van the cataloge weights are APPROX ONLY belive the sales person at youre peril .

Edited by tell

Hi All,

It's been great to read everyone's experiences and opinions about towing with a Rav 4.

Next year I plan to take a year or so to travel around Australia with my wife and our baby son. We will be sticking to the road mostly, dirt in some places but nothing too demanding. I am planning to buy a camper to tow with my 2005 Rav 4 - a Customline Camper or similar weighing 600kg approx unloaded. I would appreciate any advice as to the suitability of my Rav 4 for this trip and what modifications, if any, might be advisable for the Rav to make towing easier and safer.

Many thanks!

you will have no problems mate you wont even know its there but on hills take it out of D

and if you sit on about 90 2,500rpm better fuel economy have a great trip

tell

Hi All,

Many thanks!

you will have no problems mate you wont even know its there but on hills take it out of D

and if you sit on about 90 2,500rpm better fuel economy have a great trip

tell

Thanks!.... My Rav is manual so no prob with the hills.

Cheers,

• 3 years later...

Hello everyone,

I know this is a "OLD" topic, however i just would like to ask some questions.

I drive a 2008 Rav 4 CV 2.4L Auto

We are thinking of purchasing a Jayco Hawk or Eagle,

the tare weight is approx 980kg on each van with a ATM of 1,280kg (tow ball weight of 121kg)

Am i pushing my RAV 4 too much, or should i be able to tow this?

(I have read my Rav4 manual pages 226 - 231 and it is not clear)

Also their is a difference between manual and real life.

Also page 227 states a maximum gross vehicle weight of 2,100kg, this has got me stumped.....

Any help is much appreciated

Thank you

David

• 7 months later...