3S-GTE

sketra

who cares if his drivin an auto seriously i mean the fastest cars in the world are tecniqually autos so wats the difference if he wats a more powerful corolla auto maybe he also wants to make a bit of a drag car out of it best drag cars are auto and i know a corolla will never be a 6sec rocket but if he has an auto he could do cosistant numbers and with the wright engine trans and suspension package any where from 12-high 9's is achiveable in a front driver

ps go for a 4AGE 20v and turbo it it flows like a 2.0L and the conversion will be much easier then a 3sgte im talking 2 engine mounts front of motor and end of trans only no cuting or bashing required

There is a whole world of difference between an auto transmission you see behind a sub-10 second drag car, a $200,000 BMW semi-auto, and a 4-speed slushbox you get behind a Corolla or Celica. In turn I'd say that note how many non-drag race cars are auto.

We're talking about a road car, with a road-car engine, to be driven relatively often with relatively cheap components, and minimal hassle in the conversion. In this situation, a manual is easily the better choice, to better utilise the engine under the hood. Limiting it to an auto simply because of a licensing issue is being narrow-minded. Wait until the license condition has expired, learn how to drive manual, or find something more appropriate.

Oh and by the way guys, the OP is a SHE, not a HE.

hmmm lets see can you buy an aurion trd or not in a manual no

can you buy a kluger in a manual um nope

how about 200 series lc nope all auto

V6 rav auto again

i believe they even make a factory auto in a rotory engined car ok you sacrific a few kw but hey if they have the option wats the problem with an auto look i drive a manual car but auto's have come so far over the year if this bloke wants an auto i say good on him for being different (it would appear)

and if he can find a good auto trans builder he can make the standard box a manual shiftin auto and there good

and by the way f1 cars auto no human can shift in less then a second thank you please come again

(did you mean those v8 super cabs)

some people are so ignorant

oh change all the blokes and hims to chic and her

Edited by robie

V6 rav auto again

i believe they even make a factory auto in a rotory engined car ok you sacrific a few kw but hey if they have the option wats the problem with an auto look i drive a manual car but auto's have come so far over the year if this bloke wants an auto i say good on him for being different (it would appear)

and if he can find a good auto trans builder he can make the standard box a manual shiftin auto and there good

and by the way f1 cars auto no human can shift in less then a second thank you please come again

There is still a difference mate. With the passenger cars such as the Aurion coming in automatic only, it's due to market trends and not performance. You're everyday driver out there is looking for something that is simple to drive. The automatic transmission does just that.

I'm not sure if you picked up on the quite obvious key point that Hiro Protagonist was getting at, and that is he is discussing a passenger car built for driving everyday on local roads.

Sure you will have high performance automatics like the high end BMW's, the Ferrari's, Lamborghinis, and F1 cars, but those are a manual box with electronically controlled clutches and gear shifts. Yes, they are automatic because they can shift faster than a human can, but in the scenario a) the equipment costs more and B) these are built for high performance.

You're not going to have a car company spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to produce an automatic-manual gearbox simply because that would be plain stupid. As a result, the auto boxes you get in these cars may actually shift slower than a human could on the same car with a manual box, plus they are paired with torque converters which produce loses as well (remembering in the performance scenario in the last paragraph, those performance vehicles are paired with an actual clutch that is controlled electronically).

You say...

V6 rav auto again

There is still a difference mate. With the passenger cars such as the Aurion coming in automatic only, it's due to market trends and not performance. You're everyday driver out there is looking for something that is simple to drive. The automatic transmission does just that.

I'm not sure if you picked up on the quite obvious key point that Hiro Protagonist was getting at, and that is he is discussing a passenger car built for driving everyday on local roads.

Sure you will have high performance automatics like the high end BMW's, the Ferrari's, Lamborghinis, and F1 cars, but those are a manual box with electronically controlled clutches and gear shifts. Yes, they are automatic because they can shift faster than a human can, but in the scenario a) the equipment costs more and B) these are built for high performance.

You're not going to have a car company spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to produce an automatic-manual gearbox simply because that would be plain stupid. As a result, the auto boxes you get in these cars may actually shift slower than a human could on the same car with a manual box, plus they are paired with torque converters which produce loses as well (remembering in the performance scenario in the last paragraph, those performance vehicles are paired with an actual clutch that is controlled electronically).

You say...

ok vw also has ASM (auto shifting manual) in the golf range thats afordable i know they do because my friend has 1 but yeah i know about wat your saying but if this person want an auto why try and make them drive a manual

and auto box builders can make your every day auto box feel much better and stronger to alot of the time they make them so you have to physically move the shifter through the gears it wont shift on its own but its still an auto trands planetary gear torque converter an all they just handle power better and if you can aford to change a motor in a car you can aford to build up a good auto i was told i could build a strong auto for my corolla for under 10g's but i dont know if the 4agze's come with an auto as the standard 4a auto's drive shafts wouldnt last long

and you do know that toyota auto's are full automatics and they shift faster than some ASM especially in camry kluger and aurion (once again i know its not F1 fast but it is vw fast)

The discussion was going in two directions. The way I saw it heading after Silly-Karr and Hiro was not the fact of making her car an auto, but more of the fact of obtaining a manual licence for scenarios that may call on it. Ultimately that is her choice, but we were proving opinions and then advice after she stated her difficulty with trying to learn a manual.

As for the auto and speed of shifting discussion, firstly, the Aurion DOES NOT shift quickly. I'm pretty sure everyone on the Aurion board would agree with that statement as well. My sister's Mazda 3 shifts faster. As for affordability, yes VW has managed to get the DSG into the affordable range, but it is still too much for other manufactures to consider using at this point, so that is an exception to the rule.

On a side note, B&D Forecast (Germany) did some research and found that Toyota on average makes a profit of $2,800 AUD on each car sold whereas VW makes a profit of about $535 AUD per car sold. When companies are making a good profit and no-one is requiring that extra performance, then they can keep doing what they are doing and that's where even though it's technically affordable, there won't be an electronically controlled manual box in most passenger cars.

ok but toyota does have amogst the fastest shifting autos (maybe not in the arion but they do)

on my argument about autos though i was only really implying that theres nothing wrong with autos in car with a bit of go about them

and that if sketra want to make a corolla thats quiker then a standard rolla but have it auto not manual that theres nothing wrong with that i think

and another thing i dont under stand is that he/she asked for advise on engines and how to put and auto upto a curtain engine and he/she got told to drive a manual personally if they want help on how they can do vehicle enhancemance and get told to do personal enhancemance not nice hey see i was just try to help with the question asked not attac the fact that they cant drive a manual

Edited by robie

Yeah, nothing wrong with auto's for everyday use.

and another thing i dont under stand is that he/she asked for advise on engines and how to put and auto upto a curtain engine and he/she got told to drive a manual personally if they want help on how they can do vehicle enhancemance and get told to do personal enhancemance not nice hey see i was just try to help with the question asked not attac the fact that they cant drive a manual

Well she was originally thinking of a 3S-GTE which only has a manual box attached. The advise to get her to consider a manual licence was primarily due to her engine considerations. If she really wanted the 3S-GTE, she would have to gain confidence to learn a manual. It is like what TRIPPER said, "You will be amazed at the things you can accomplish when you really set your mind to it".

Anyways, the thread got out of hand once sketra snapped at BKS after he asked a simple question. That was the point where the everything prior was then ignored and the topic had its focus from that point onwards. If you ain't considerate, why bother helping anymore.

Yeah, nothing wrong with auto's for everyday use.

Well she was originally thinking of a 3S-GTE which only has a manual box attached. The advise to get her to consider a manual licence was primarily due to her engine considerations. If she really wanted the 3S-GTE, she would have to gain confidence to learn a manual. It is like what TRIPPER said, "You will be amazed at the things you can accomplish when you really set your mind to it".

Anyways, the thread got out of hand once sketra snapped at BKS after he asked a simple question. That was the point where the everything prior was then ignored and the topic had its focus from that point onwards. If you ain't considerate, why bother helping anymore.

but a camry comes in an auto and a camry comes with a 3-5S engines which mean there is an auto that will bolt to the motor all that has to be done is internal beefing and nice strong CV joints and shafts to fit trans and hubs (it can be done)

and 1 more question you have to ask is why did sketra snap i thought it might have been cause every 1 was saying auto's suck learn to drive a manual so on an so on

Edited by robie

but a camry comes in an auto and a camry comes with a 3-5S engines which mean there is an auto that will bolt to the motor all that has to be done is internal beefing and nice strong CV joints and shafts to fit trans and hubs (it can be done)

and 1 more question you have to ask is why did sketra snap i thought it might have been cause every 1 was saying auto's suck learn to drive a manual so on an so on

True, I didn't think of that. Maybe that wasn't in the consideration due to her budgeting. As for sketra snapping, I think that was at no fault of anyone but herself. Her general attitude around isn't the best. In this thread, all BKS said was:

... why would you want to keep it auto anyway??

To which she called him a <etc, ect>. Not called for in my opinion.

fair enough look i dont wanna sound like im stickin up for any sides here but have you heard of the saying straw that broke the camals back

but in sayin that i have notice in a few other threads she's a bit snapy

so fair go to both sides 1 sketra should relax a bit 2 people shouldnt judge just be informative and helpful ok its ok to be corrected to but iv notice some people in here dont correct others they write them off pretty much callin people idiots because they thought

And the autos are behind *****-weak 3SFE and 5SFE engines, not 3SGTEs. Do you put a C50 gearbox behind a 4AGTE and expect it to last? No. You put in an E-series which is designed to take the power/torque. Camry auto boxes are designed to take the power of a 5SFE, which is 90-odd kw, less than half of what you can get out of a decent 3SGTE.

• 10 months later...
^^ I didnt even bother reading all the way through your post coz I know where it is heading....

May I suggest that we aren't exactly talking 7 second drag strip monsters or the like.

Luke

hey mate i just noticed ur dp is the same as wat ive got on my car lol and they look nice but i would them 2 b a bit bigger lol