Broken Intrusion Bar Under Dash

julian040859

I have had my dash out three times due to rattles. This time they found the intrusion bar defective. The way the dealer expalined it, I believe it is telescopic then tack welded. The weld has broken and when the temperature goes up the outer expands then the inner rattles. Has anyone heard of this? Would love to see a picture if anyone has a workshop image? They have ordered the part and when it comes in my dash will be pulled out for the fourth time. Jinxed!!

Hi all, Had my 30,000 service done yesterday total cost $460.00. On top of the normal service this included adjusting the tow (toe) to reduce the pull to the left which is now gone yay. They als oid a full emulsions flush or something like that becuase it had been 12000 k's between service.

In regards to the dash rattle: They have told me they take the whole dash out and are adding a lining to the mounting which pushes the dash up a little. Whatever they did after driving around last night for a solid hour on various road conditions the rattle has gone!!!

One other thing: in removing the dash, the brooke the radio cable, so now they have to do it all again!

cheers all

The intrusion bar fault sounds like a half-reasonable description for the issue. I'll sift through my photos when I get home from work to see if I have any photos from my car to get an idea. One must ask though; if the welds gave way (and tack welded? That ain't promising) with no impact, then that's pretty bad structural integrity right?

If the intrusion bar was commonly found to be faulty, the car would have already been recalled. There is no way that conservative Toyota would allow something like that to be of any risk to their reputation.

Metal is a naturally occurring material, and is subject to impurities. It is also welded by robots in most cases that cannot actually check the quality of the welds that have been performed (for obvious reasons). I would put it no further than just a manufacturing defect.

The dealership sent me a PDF of the part required. To me, it is not really an intrusion bar as such. It is a beam that everything under tha dash is attached to. I think it actually keeps the sides apart and gives strength to the cabin from side impact.

this is weird, coz i just sent my car back for this recall stuff, and they didnt fix it due to aftermarket HU, alarm and HeadUpDisplay.. saying excuse that they dont know how my wires run in the car. The car is given me back with NOT-working HUD, and asking me to get the wiring diagrams for them.. +AUD2xx for this job.. but when i ask what is actually changed, he only said that only those clips and that i could buy them from parts department..

fxxk them.. i hv to PAY coz they made the FAULT and BROKEN my stuff?!