How Far Can You Go?

[Filled up with 50L so approx 12-15L left i assume?

The Sportivo has a 60 litre tank, so you had 10 litres left. The other Rolla models get a 55 litre tank.

Quick question for Stivo owners ... are your fifth and sixth ratios geared for performance or economy? There's always an economy advantage for a 5 speed manual over an auto, but just wondering how sixth affects things in the Stivo.

Quick question for Stivo owners ... are your fifth and sixth ratios geared for performance or economy? 

It is supposedly for performance. At 110km/h you can go from 5th to 6th and you will go from ~3.5K RPM to 3K RPM so not much chance what so ever.... I would have loved for Toyota to have geared a longer 6th gear for touring to you don't have to put up with the whine of the engine on lng trips.

[Filled up with 50L so approx 12-15L left i assume?

The Sportivo has a 60 litre tank, so you had 10 litres left.  The other Rolla models get a 55 litre tank.

Quick question for Stivo owners ... are your fifth and sixth ratios geared for performance or economy?  There's always an economy advantage for a 5 speed manual over an auto, but just wondering how sixth affects things in the Stivo.

I realise its a 60L tank.... but i always thought there was a couple of extra litres there... but maybe that was just my imagination. For example... i once filled up a toyota with 3L more than what the capacity was. Perhaps in inaccurate pump? I dunno... but that was what i was getting at when i said 12-15L to go then added the question mark.

Edited by Tivo Matt

I realise its a 60L tank.... but i always thought there was a couple of extra litres there... but maybe that was just my imagination.  For example... i once filled up a toyota with 3L more than what the capacity was. Perhaps in inaccurate pump? I dunno... but that was what i was getting at when i said 12-15L to go then added the question mark.

Sorry, I thought that maybe you didn't know that ... I didn't know myself until I checked, I always thought all Rolla's got 55 litres ... sorry if I sounded like a smart alec! :)

I also only ever took the spec sheet at its word ... is it common for fuel tanks to have a bit more than the manufacturer claim?

I realise its a 60L tank.... but i always thought there was a couple of extra litres there... but maybe that was just my imagination.  For example... i once filled up a toyota with 3L more than what the capacity was. Perhaps in inaccurate pump? I dunno... but that was what i was getting at when i said 12-15L to go then added the question mark.

I wouldn't put it passed the servos to set the pump to run fast, has been done before and I'm sure is common practice these days with lower margins due to fuel discounting, and is very hard to regulate. I mean how do you go around with a volumetric flask and measure every pump to see if it is calibrated properly all the time???

I wouldn't put it passed the servos to set the pump to run fast, has been done before and I'm sure is common practice these days with lower margins due to fuel discounting, and is very hard to regulate. I mean how do you go around with a volumetric flask and measure every pump to see if it is calibrated properly all the time???

Don't forget the fuel neck (where the fuel goes in). If the tank is full (60lt - stivo only, other 55lt on ZZE models), it may add a few more litres.

To answer the first question, i get about 520km off a 50L tank in town. 700L in the country.

As for the extra capacity, the fuel neck does add 3-4L on average because it has to get from the middle of the rear quater panel to the top left hand corner of the tank under the back seat. Most pumps click the first time when the fuel is about half way up the neck. So you can usually get another 2-3L on top of that.

I get at least 500 city driving on a tank and that is filling up within 30k of the light coming on.

A small city/country trip a week ago and I got 650k and it took 52L - 330 k of this was on the highway, and it was rarely less than 4200RPM in 6th ;) I even had a small (10 mins) run at 160km/h+.

I have absolutely no idea how good you could get out of a Stivo - I bought a performance car to drive it HARD .... If fuel consumption had been a consideration I would have kept the 02 rolla - which best run I got from it was 692Km.

• 7 months later...

OK guys, I did a little test on my drive over to Adelaide

Narrandera was the last place I could buy 98 Octane (Optimax) for 750kms so I thought I'd see how far I could go on a tank. I bought a 10L Jerry can just in case.

I made it to Tailem Bend with constant driving at 110-120 km/h slowing for towns of course and stopping in Hay for a quick pee break and Ouyen for lunch.

it was 57L to fill with Ultimate in Tailem Bend... 3L left :o :o :o

The best fuel consumption I got was 7.2L/100km/h, which was mosty highway driving at 110km/h. Worst was 8.7L/100km/h, which was when the car was brand new.

These days I get around 7.7L/100km with mix of highway and town driving.

It'll be interesting to see how I go this time around as I've been driving quite aggresively.

OK guys, I did a little test on my drive over to Adelaide

Narrandera was the last place I could buy 98 Octane (Optimax) for 750kms so I thought I'd see how far I could go on a tank. I bought a 10L Jerry can just in case.

I made it to Tailem Bend with constant driving at 110-120 km/h slowing for towns of course and stopping in Hay for a quick pee break and Ouyen for lunch.

it was 57L to fill with Ultimate in Tailem Bend... 3L left  :o  :o  :o

Narrandera hey? Thats not far from my home town, Leeton. You turn off the Hume at the Shell servo you went to though.

Now that i'm in Canberra i'm up and down that road quite abit. Used to stop at that Shell servo quite abit but now I fill up in Wagga for Ultimate now that they stock it.

I'm averaging round 600km a tank with mixed driving btw.

On a recent trip I drove from Adelaide to Devonport on 62L - driving mostly at the speed limit.

It is 760km to Melbourne then 190NM from melbourne to Devonport :D

On the way home, from Melbourne to Adelaide, it was 65L but I was in a bit of a hurry to get home and as soon as I crossed the Border in SA I stepped it up a peg or 2 -or 500-1000 RMP in 6th.

This was with 44,000

what time of the day do you guys fill up?

my belief is to do it either in the mornings or at night (cos i wake up a bit late sometimes). something about contraction and expansion due to heat, ie. get more into your tank for the same price.

:)

Narrandera hey? Thats not far from my home town, Leeton. You turn off the Hume at the Shell servo you went to though.

Now that i'm in Canberra i'm up and down that road quite abit. Used to stop at that Shell servo quite abit but now I fill up in Wagga for Ultimate now that they stock it.

I'm averaging round 600km a tank with mixed driving btw.

Yeah I filled with Vortex98 in Wagga and topped up with Optimax in Narrandera.

A bit worried about the run the other way as I'll have to put a full tank of Optimax in... :( but I guess I'll survive, it's better then 95 octane still