Darker Taillights

Silver Levin

Hi Guys

I own a 2003 Corolla hatch and i want to darken the tailights from the normal red to a much darker shade. I have attached a picture for example below.

Anyone know how this is done? or whether it is just a complete new set of taillights?

thanks.

p.S i'm in melbourne

post-429-1107058594_thumb.jpg

I would like to do a similar thing.

I know a few people have pulled apart their lights (pulsars commodores etc.) and used a tint which is available in a spay can????

I havent looked into this quite yet as I am still waiting on pics of some new tails lights which are coming out soon.

If they are anyhing like the current dark lights I will be going down this track ;)

I'm going to be getting a set of black taillights for myself. They are the ones that have a black background with round lights.

Er...that's once I have the time to get them and install them.

toyotalights5.jpg

the only think I dont like about those lights is the bulge that they have near the top....i would like to keep it clean and smooth like it curently is. hence why I'm waiting for the ones from Burg

scott if you do it yourself you must be careful because the night shades spray can make your lamps look dirty if not done evenly.

i suggest you take them to jr auto they will mix a few drops of black ink into clear coat. you can also control the percentage of darkness too just ask them to show you the tint swatches.

if you need help get typhoon involved as they are affiliated with jr auto concepts.

Yeah, the Nightshades tint you get in a spray can tends to leave the tail lights with a very flat, dirty looking finish. It's fine for doing small detail stuff ( for example, justing doing an indicator rather than the entire lamp) but not the entire lamp. Best to get the professionals to do it, they can do it with a nice glossy finish.

I used the spray tint for my old Lancer (about 10 years ago) and it was from memory around $10 a can....

I noticed it started looking flat when I had done about 2 coats, but I had the darkness I wanted so I put a clear gloss over it to brighten it up a little,

Nuttin wrong with it...

HI ppl + ADR_Rolla

I called jr auto in box hill

to tint taillight for corolla is

$60 - if take off yourself

$80 - if they take it off for you

ADR rolla..let me know whether u want to do this...coz i am going too..if anyone else is interested pls PM me by thursday COB

The above price is just for one. I dont know how much cheaper it will be (if any) if there is more than 1 order. My perspective is that since i will do it in anycase. HOwever, if it will be cheaper from group order, then bonus!

Edited by Silver Levin

i used to praise jr auto on their workmanship but lately had got some stuff back terrible. runs on the surface and several particles too. how could they let it go out without final inspection? my stuff has been returned to be rubbed back and redone. anyhow from now on i am watching carefully the stuff that they do. in the past they have been the best for me price and quality wise but this latest experience has left a sour taste for me.

hey, silver levin and ADR..

any chance of pictures.. i know it maybe a pain but do you think that you could post one of each car.. would love to know how it looks on black,, not to over done.. im looking at doing it aswell as a few other brisbanians

thanks

Greg

I've done this to my taillights. Like in November last year.

With the night shades, with the right application method you can get it smooth and shiny.

mine is pretty shiny and dark.

i'd take pics, but i'm not in country atm. there's pic of it somewhere on the forum i think.

i removed the lights from the car (very simple, three bolts on the back. best tool to use is the one that comes in the boot. fits perfectly around the bolt). apply around 4 coats (depending on how dark you want it)...on the last coat...spray lots and slowly..this will saturate the face. there is a very fine line between glossy and having run off. you also have to be careful with the paint collecting and dripping from the spray nozzle itself. First attempt...turned out horrible. 3 hrs and 1lt of turps/metho and LOTS of spare rags...i hand removed ALL the tint and started from scratch..OMG!!!!!! this is something you definately want to avoid.

i've got very small areas of not so glossy, but i'm not fussed. i'm happy the way it turned out. oh, and it looks even better when you tape up the reverse lights and spray the rest in tint, very 'elegant' or whatever word fits that. did it to a lancer.

besides that, it's very very slick and nice. As you can see on my signature, i did it to my side and rear lights.

looks great! esp on black cars.

i can organise for sum1 to take pics of it if you really want to see.

sup fellas

im seriously after a pair of new rear tailights....preferebaly in the black chrome look (if not the clear chrome will have to do i guess).....cos as a few peeps may no i had a bit of a bif with my gate....tho i did come off the better (my gate is ALL FARKED UP) i still received a bit of a bash.....i heard there is a store called cyber century that stock them n was wondering if n e of u guys had the contact info for them

thanxs in advance

cheerio

wei wei

• 2 weeks later...

motion seconded.

I was talking to a mate the other day a painter and he is going to get some old tail lights from work and do a few different types for me and work out which looks best.

Gregresan ill keep you posted ;)

Silver levin,,

that does look very very sexual... can you explain what the guy did was it just a spray on tint.. and also.. ADR_rOLLA. is there anychance you can post some pics of your cars tint.. thanks.. just want to try and see what it looks like on the black car..

thanks in advance

greg