Aurion average fuel consumption approximation

DJKOR

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I totally agree. If you have a sympathetic right foot and drive gently, especially taking off, great economy can be had. The V6 has a beautiful, silky smooth nature to it and you don't need to bury your foot to get it going. Just a gentle tap and it's off. Let the torque do the rest.

Burying your foot in a TRD Aurion is waste of time anyway....If the traction control doesn't kick in, the torque steer is uncomfortable....

46 minutes ago, rubin said:

Burying your foot in a TRD Aurion is waste of time anyway....If the traction control doesn't kick in, the torque steer is uncomfortable....

Yep, and it's not necessary either. You have to apply the power in a linear fashion, especially front wheel drive cars.

I have a 2011 Touring with 154,000 kms on it, I only put 98 premium petrol in it, and I keep the services up to it at the scheduled times.
I use the cruise control on the highways and consistently get about 7.6L/100kms on long trips (about 8.2L/100kms on the freeway during the 40min trip the Central Coast to Hornsby) and driving around the Coast it's about 9.0L/100kms and I'm very soft on the pedals. Car still takes off about the same speed as the other cars. 
Very happy with my 8 year old Aurion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mediaspacetj said:

I have a 2011 Touring with 154,000 kms on it, I only put 98 premium petrol in it, and I keep the services up to it at the scheduled times.
I use the cruise control on the highways and consistently get about 7.6L/100kms on long trips (about 8.2L/100kms on the freeway during the 40min trip the Central Coast to Hornsby) and driving around the Coast it's about 9.0L/100kms and I'm very soft on the pedals. Car still takes off about the same speed as the other cars. 

I will have to keep your results in mind as a benchmark.

My 13.5 year old Aurion with 218K on the odometer needs a lot more servicing to get better fuel economy. Getting all ready for an interstate trip later this year assuming QLD-NSW border will be open at that time. Oh what interesting times we are now in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mediaspacetj said:

I consistently can get 8.1 to 8.3/100klms on the highway, a/c c/c on and I don't hold anyone up if you know what I mean....😉

30 minutes ago, campbeam said:

I will have to keep your results in mind as a benchmark.

My 13.5 year old Aurion with 218K on the odometer needs a lot more servicing to get better fuel economy. Getting all ready for an interstate trip later this year assuming QLD-NSW border will be open at that time. Oh what interesting times we are now in.

Who wants to go to mexico anyway??....😉

2 hours ago, rubin said:

Who wants to go to mexico anyway??....😉

Pardon me....I knew about the Vic border being closed....Don't know anything about the Qld border....I try to avoid the news....It's too damn depressing...

I heard the Queensland NSW border is open from the 10th July but expect long lines for the first few days..

Safe Travels

KAA

2 hours ago, KAA said:

I heard the Queensland NSW border is open from the 10th July but expect long lines for the first few days..

Safe Travels

KAA

2 hours ago, KAA said:

Safe Travels

That's OK No rush....Queensland is fast becoming the Miami of OZ

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 9:27 AM, mediaspacetj said:

I remembered this earlier post. My 2006 ATX with 216,500 kms is all serviced and ready. In the next few days, I will be going on a long trip using 95 unleaded instead of the usual 91 unleaded. Have to see how close I can get an average of 8.2L/100kms on the highway.

I am getting some widely varying fuel economy figures which reflects the level of lead foot being applied. WiIl post actual figures later and try to remember any influencing factors at that time.

10 hours ago, campbeam said:

I am getting some widely varying fuel economy figures which reflects the level of lead foot being applied. WiIl post actual figures later and try to remember any influencing factors at that time.

I'm expecting good figure here Ashley. Our cars love the open highway. They just sing don't they..:thumbsup:

• Like 1

The few results so far appear to be shocking bad to amazingly excellent.

Yesterday afternoon, I had to hot foot it to make up time lost at roadworks where we crawled along at walking pace for a few kilometers. No joke, there would have been about 2 kilometers of vehicles behind us. When we finally got to the traffic control lights, there were only 6 vehicles waiting to travel south. Whoever was doing traffic control should have had their chair taken away or made to walk home.

• Haha 1

Now in Cairns. After 1728 kms, average is 8.10 litres/100kms.

Best result was today [339kms], 7.3186 litres/100 kms mostly cruising at 100kph and very little overtaking.

Worst result was inital trip start [266kms] 8.5526 litres/100 kms; included an hour of peak hour traffic before getting onto the Bruce Highway.

Naughty result was yesterday [400.6kms] 8.4823 litres/100 kms; included an afternoon of lead footing after an hour delay at roadworks

• Like 1

Glad you made it safely Ash, that is my birth place and I loved Cairns..haven't been back for a very long time so wouldn't know the place now, but I have beloved memories of the place..at least the beast got a good run and glad all went well..have a ice cold one for me

KAA

Going for a drive to Port Douglas to look at the beaches tomorrow. Weather is a warm 27C with cooling breezes.

Refueled this afternoon so will get another fuel economy figure and check engine oil consumption. .

15 hours ago, campbeam said:

Now in Cairns. After 1728 kms, average is 8.10 litres/100kms.

Best result was today [339kms], 7.3186 litres/100 kms mostly cruising at 100kph and very little overtaking.

Worst result was inital trip start [266kms] 8.5526 litres/100 kms; included an hour of peak hour traffic before getting onto the Bruce Highway.

Naughty result was yesterday [400.6kms] 8.4823 litres/100 kms; included an afternoon of lead footing after an hour delay at roadworks

Those are pretty good figures Ash. I'll be brave and even say that they are as good as diesel figures if not better. I would put money down that a Corolla or a Camry 4 couldn't achieve those results. 

Long live the Aurion !!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I would put money down that a Corolla or a Camry 4 couldn't achieve those results. 

Better hedge your money and say same year model i.e. 2007 and similar mileage 215K.

Also take into account my overtaking technique [think bat out of hell takeoffs] 4s would be operating at wide open throttle [foot flat to the floor] for much longer unlike the Aurion.

Now having said that I drive safely for the road conditions etc. This mornings drive involved windy narrow roads with 40kph and 50kph advisory signs. For quite some time, it was more safe, relaxing and enjoyable to drive 20kph below the speed limit. Still managed to have lots of fun driving to minimize the amount of braking, slow into corners and accelerate out etc.

10 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Better hedge your money and say same year model i.e. 2007 and similar mileage 215K.

LOL of course. :g:

11 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Also take into account my overtaking technique [think bat out of hell takeoffs] 4s would be operating at wide open throttle [foot flat to the floor] for much longer unlike the Aurion.

Where the bad fuel consumption will happen and having to use more throttle for the steep inclines. The 4's will have the foot pretty much flat and  in a lower gear whereas the Aurion will pull effortlessly like a train with much less right foot application.

13 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Now having said that I drive safely for the road conditions etc. This mornings drive involved windy narrow roads with 40kph and 50kph advisory signs. For quite some time, it was more safe, relaxing and enjoyable to drive 20kph below the speed limit. Still managed to have lots of fun driving to minimize the amount of braking, slow into corners and accelerate out etc.

What's the hurry anyway right ? plus it's good to have some mechanical sympathy. My brake pads tend to last much longer than other people I know primarily due to this and correct driving techniques.

• Like 1

As planned, it has been a hurry to get here at Cairns; point A to point B.

This morning was a nice tourist drive.

Trip back is going to be at a slower pace taking 3 days not 2.5 days.

Better opportunity for some good fuel economy runs.

• Like 1

Decided to make an economy run when we left early in the morning with little traffic @ 5:30AM.  Result was [400.9kms], 7.2013 litres/100 kms mostly cruising at 100kph and very little overtaking. Next result [343.5kms], 8.5909/100 kms was not continuous driving and included some sight seeing touring around town.

Final result for today's driving [338.7kms] was 7.0623 litres/100 kms mostly cruising at 110kph and some hard overtaking. Very unexpected so I did recheck my records and fuel receipts etc. Only explanation would be the transmission mainly being in 6th gear except when overtaking..

• Like 1

Either way, outstanding figures for a V6 in anyone's language. I'd love to see a Falcon 6 or Commodore get even close to that.

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

Only explanation would be the transmission mainly being in 6th gear except when overtaking..

That good old 2GR-FE Torque curve :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Either way, outstanding figures for a V6 in anyone's language. I'd love to see a Falcon 6 or Commodore get even close to that.

That good old 2GR-FE Torque curve :thumbsup:

That torque curve would have been in action when accelerating to overtake. Noticed the transmission drop down quite a bit and revs at 4500 for one hard acceleration.

When I had time to notice, most of the time it would be just a change out of 6th gear or so with revs going up to 2500 or 3000rpm then back to 1800rpm for 100kph or 2000rpm for 110kph. Both engine and transmission have certainly had a good workout.

• Like 1

Left later this morning @ 7:30AM.  First Result was [266.3kms], 7.9358 litres/100 kms mostly cruising at 110kph and with some hard overtaking.

Final result for today's driving [435.7kms] was 7.12417 litres/100 kms also mostly cruising at 110kph and some overtaking.

Now in Gold Coast. After 1785 kms, average is 7.533 litres/100kms. This is mainly continuous highway driving. Still very much surprised that it appears that cruising at 110kph is more economical than cruising at 100kph. It does not make sense because I have read that 80-90kph is the most fuel efficient speed. No surprise that there is a fuel penalty for hard acceleration and there is a fuel economy reward for smooth acceleration.

Final fill up today was with premium 98 unleaded. Engine can have a celebratory drink while going home for all of its hard work on the past 7 days. Transmission will get a pan drain and refill as its reward.