Aurion average fuel consumption approximation

DJKOR

18 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Still very much surprised that it appears that cruising at 110kph is more economical than cruising at 100kph. It does not make sense because I have read that 80-90kph is the most fuel efficient speed.

It's got to be different for different makes of cars and their designated engines. I don't know how the so called experts can claim that the most fuel efficient speed is between 80 and 90 KLM/HR. It depends on many things, not just speed. Different engines will have different sweet spots and it's all dependent on gearing and revs, not to mention other external factors.

I suspect the 2GR-FE has that sweet spot at around whatever the revs are when travelling 110 klm/hr.

24 minutes ago, campbeam said:

No surprise that there is a fuel penalty for hard acceleration and there is a fuel economy reward for smooth acceleration.

It's really a small price to pay for the exhilaration when putting the boot in. The 2GR-FE loves to get up and go. It's a real Jekyll and Hyde engine and I love it ! :laugh: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

It's really a small price to pay for the exhilaration when putting the boot in.

I reckon that it could be 5 litres for 300 kms of exhilaration. Certainly got my 50cents worth on almost every overtaking lane.

Plenty of exhilaration to get past slow moving towing vehicles then cruise along waiting for the next overtaking lane opportunity.

I do not envy those drivers towing a caravan especially when you see a semi-trailer overtaking them.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, campbeam said:

I do not envy those drivers towing a caravan especially when you see a semi-trailer overtaking them. 

I find caravan drivers and horse float drivers THE MOST frustrating to be behind. There is a sense of selfishness about it as they force you to drive at the pedestrian speeds when there are no other options. You get that eye rolling moment and the famous words "here we go again" 🙄

• Like 1

Good to be traveling behind someone who is moving at your pace for the road conditions.

Helps with reading the road surface and avoiding rough road surfaces plus any debris on the road.

When you see semis slowing and swerving, time to take note. Once it was road kill and another time, it was a bag of something e.g. plaster that had fallen off the back of a truck

• Like 1

1 minute ago, campbeam said:

Good to be traveling behind someone who is moving at your pace for the road conditions.

Helps with reading the road surface and avoiding rough road surfaces plus any debris on the road.

Agreed. I always tend to leave a longer distance between myself and those semi trucks primarily to avoid stone chips and other debris that gets flung up. I always welcome others behind me to even overtake me and become my buffer lol..😁

• Like 1

Just done approx. 200km in varying driving conditions including urban, highway and some pre-peak hour and achieved 9.75L per 100 kms. Still optimal results despite my lead foot and getting somewhat closer to realistic weekly or fortnightly fuel economy figures. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2009 at 10:53 AM, adventurer007 said:

-Control your acceleration. At the traffic lights, accelerate at around 2000-2300rpm.

This makes so much sense especially since I am more watching the tachometer these recent days. Bit more focus to consistently accelerate smoothly around 2000 rpm rather than 2500 rpm.

I recently noticed a post which mentioned 8 litres per 100 kms for highway driving and 11.5 litres for city driving. I am thinking that these are realistic, achievable benchmark figures for a well maintained vehicle. Using 95 ULP and tyre pressures of 36-38 psi should help with fuel economy.

Recently returned from NSW to QLD, Toowoomba.. A 10 hour drive. On the way back I got 455 klms for a half tank. That's the best I've achieved for a half tank so far since owning this car. I use 95 ron Caltex and run 40psi in the tyres.. 

I think I can do better, because I can't find the patience to stay behind road trains, and overtake several times during that 455 klms..

Going to Rockhampton soon, an 8 hour drive from Toowoomba, going try my best to not overtake and beat that 455 half tank.. has anyone done better milage than that ?

Mike..

Edited by Bigmike62
add more

1 hour ago, Bigmike62 said:

Recently returned from NSW to QLD, Toowoomba.. A 10 hour drive. On the way back I got 455 klms for a half tank. That's the best I've achieved for a half tank so far since owning this car. I use 95 ron Caltex and run 40psi in the tyres.. 

I think I can do better, because I can't find the patience to stay behind road trains, and overtake several times during that 455 klms..

Going to Rockhampton soon, an 8 hour drive from Toowoomba, going try my best to not overtake and beat that 455 half tank.. has anyone done better milage than that ?

Mike..

Mike,

your figures indicate a result of 7.69 Litres per 100 kms which is a pleasing result against a benchmark of 8 Litres per 100 kms.

If you look on page 15, another member has reported a consistent result of 7.6 litres per 100 kms on longer trips which I think is a good benchmark for fuel economy. I did slightly better on the return trip from Cairns to Gold Coast by being less exuberant with the accelerator.

For my fuel economy results, I used real figures by totally filling the fuel tank all the way to the top [not recommended on a regular basis].  I was also using 95 ULP and 38 psi tyre pressure.

I found that it is more a "competition" with yourself and having a well maintained vehicle to get the optimum result. I know that I can do better by being gentler with the accelerator and a wheel alignment [ a few days ago] corrected an imbalance in the toe in/out adjustment. 

Let us know your results. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, campbeam said:

Mike,

your figures indicate a result of 7.69 Litres per 100 kms which is a pleasing result against a benchmark of 8 Litres per 100 kms.

If you look on page 15, another member has reported a consistent result of 7.6 litres per 100 kms on longer trips which I think is a good benchmark for fuel economy. I did slightly better on the return trip from Cairns to Gold Coast by being less exuberant with the accelerator.

For my fuel economy results, I used real figures by totally filling the fuel tank all the way to the top [not recommended on a regular basis].  I was also using 95 ULP and 38 psi tyre pressure.

I found that it is more a "competition" with yourself and having a well maintained vehicle to get the optimum result. I know that I can do better by being gentler with the accelerator and a wheel alignment [ a few days ago] corrected an imbalance in the toe in/out adjustment. 

Let us know your results. 

Campbeam, thanks for your discussion. I had on that occassion returning to QLD and going to  NSW, got a wheel balance and rotate done..

Yes, 7.6 litres per 100.. I did see that figure appear on one of my previous 10 hour drives..

I have an Oil change coming up before my trip to Rockhampton, a slightly thinner Viscosity this time, perhaps that will improve my economy. Along with as you mentioned, useing better control over the accelerator..

I'll check back in and give my economy figures after the trip on the 8th September..

Cheers..

Mike

4 hours ago, Bigmike62 said:

I have an Oil change coming up before my trip to Rockhampton, a slightly thinner Viscosity this time, perhaps that will improve my economy. Along with as you mentioned, useing better control over the accelerator..

Mike,

I just happened to be using Shell Ultra 5W-40 full synthetic oil on my recent road trip. Next oil change will be Nulon 5W-30 full synthetic oil. Just bought Castrol Edge 5W-30 full synthetic on special at Super Cheap Auto for future oil changes.

I have also been reviewing ATF WS online. I have been using Penrite ATF LV in my transmission and will continue to do so. All helps with fuel economy but easily overwhelmed by the lead foot. 

I am thinking that a big influence upon fuel economy figures is getting the engine and transmission up to operational temperature and being on the open highway cruising as soon as possible and for as long as possible. Cruise control is a handy convenience but foot control can be more adaptive for fuel economy purposes.

Driving safe and having rests is more important. Still remember one time having a break then only driving another 78 kms before needing to take another rest by the side of the road. I have found that [for myself] the initial 3 hours of the drive is usually the best for covering as much distance as possible.

You will have to be reasonably good with the accelerator to get an average of 7.5 Litres per 100 kms for your trip.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 1:01 PM, campbeam said:

You will have to be reasonably good with the accelerator to get an average of 7.5 Litres per 100 kms for your trip.

Does the 40 have a refresh button for the econometer ? In the 50, we have to push the "DISP" button on the steering wheel to reset the economy counter.

I'm also wondering how often it needs to be reset or refreshed to give a more accurate reading. I haven't taken our Aurion out for a road trip in years and don't get to spend enough time in it as it is. Maybe we'll have to plan one and give the good thing a chance to stretch its legs. I'd love to be able to report excellent fuel economy like the rest of you fine Gentlemen. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Does the 40 have a refresh button for the econometer ? In the 50, we have to push the "DISP" button on the steering wheel to reset the economy counter.

I'm also wondering how often it needs to be reset or refreshed to give a more accurate reading. I haven't taken our Aurion out for a road trip in years and don't get to spend enough time in it as it is. Maybe we'll have to plan one and give the good thing a chance to stretch its legs. I'd love to be able to report excellent fuel economy like the rest of you fine Gentlemen. :thumbsup:

I do not think that there is an econometer in my Oct.2006 ATX. There is one in my standby Dec.2008 Prodigy. From memory it gives me a laughably unrealistic estimate when I am idling the engine e.g. 99.9 kms per litre.

To get some excellent fuel economy figures, you will have to "tweak" your maintenance with another oil change plus the ATF, then be gentle with the accelerator. Increased tyre pressures and using premium 95ULP also helps.  

19 minutes ago, campbeam said:

There is one in my standby Dec.2008 Prodigy. From memory it gives me a laughably unrealistic estimate when I am idling the engine e.g. 99.9 kms per litre.

Ah ok. I suspect then that Toyota may have sharpened this aspect up because I never see figures like that during traffic, it will climb gently to the 14 lt/100 range and as you set off again it will slowly decrease as it gets more time in the economy zone. I quite like it actually. It will, of course, be quite accurate over a longer distance rather that the starting/stopping chaos.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys...

Just got back from an 8 hour drive to Rockhampton..this is my best fuel consumption to date for Quarter tank..

No over taking and cruise control almost constantly..

Half tank was a disappointment though, because I over took several times and only got 430...

Got another big trip coming up soon in December..will try harder to improve the milage..Also, I had just had the oil changed, tyres rotated and balanced and running 40 psi. Fuel was BP ultimate 98 ron..

20200917_125506.jpg

Edited by Bigmike62
add more

Great discipline and result for the 1st quarter of tank. Overtaking and possible lead foot affect shows for the half tank. Better to overtake quickly and safely than spend too much time facing oncoming traffic.

Appreciate the picture of your instrument panel. My temperature gauge sits in the same position and 2000rpm for 110kph confirms transmission is in 6th gear. You may have noticed 1800rpm for 100kph. 

If you want to improve your fuel economy, consider a change of the automatic transmission fluid if that has not been recently done.

Let us know how you go for your next big trip. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks campbeam...

Yes had the transmission serviced 4 months ago..

Im thinking of perhaps the MAFS sensor needs a clean ? 

Some members have mentioned that as a thing to do for better power and consumption. Still haven't been able to improve on 440 kilometres a half tank.. next trip I'll be taking a different route to Rockhampton, less hilly and twisty... will get a wheel alignment and rotate balance done before the trip also..

Cheers buddy..😀

Want better km's per dollar? 

Put 91 in, and use the savings per tank (compared to using 95) to put more 91 in and you'll see more km's.

Using expensive fuel to save money, is roughly the same logic my dad used when he paid a 20k premium on his diesel Mercedes over the petrol versions to "save money on fuel" 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

Put 91 in, and use the savings per tank (compared to using 95) to put more 91 in and you'll see more km's.

Using expensive fuel to save money, is roughly the same logic my dad used when he paid a 20k premium on his diesel Mercedes over the petrol versions to "save money on fuel" 

I tend to agree with you too Adam. 98 octane can make you feel like you're doing something good for the engine and I've said it before that it is a waste of money because the Aurion's ECU cannot adjust the timing that high anyway to take full advantage of the premium fuel. My wife drives our Aurion mostly and she puts E10 (what it was designed for) and 91. Occasionally we will fill it with 95 when it's cheap enough, but mostly it's the regular stuff and I've had no ill effects from using either. I've had the fuel pump assembly out and the intake sock wasn't any worse than one would expect from normal operation. So I think regular fuel is fine.

1 hour ago, Bigmike62 said:

Thanks campbeam...

Yes had the transmission serviced 4 months ago..

Im thinking of perhaps the MAFS sensor needs a clean ? 

Some members have mentioned that as a thing to do for better power and consumption. Still haven't been able to improve on 440 kilometres a half tank.. next trip I'll be taking a different route to Rockhampton, less hilly and twisty... will get a wheel alignment and rotate balance done before the trip also..

Cheers buddy..😀

Also check the throttle body and air filter and give them a clean.  More about self control with gentle acceleration and planning ahead to reduce the amount of braking for better fuel economy.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

Rubbish...False economy...I have to use 98 because I own a TRD...But my previous V6 Vienta went further and performed better using 95 than 91...Ridiculously better than any ethanol fuel...The workshop I worked in had all our regulars on a premium fuel and those customers never had a fuel injector problem...

One regular customer had a v6 six Camry with over 300 thousands k's from new on it using premium only and apart from normal servicing we never had to touch the engine....

Good oil...change oil filter each service and premium fuel....

• Like 2

Ok I agree to disagree..fuel like a lot of things relating to driving comes down to the driving style of the person pushing the pedal and holding the wheel..yes better fuels do help the performance of the car to some degree, i never use ethanol based fuel and use either 91 or 95 but then it comes down to prices and what you can afford..the main thing is how you use your car..if your a lead foot and throw the thing around naturally your economy will be rubbish..if you just cruise (as many on here are of the same mind as me) you are a careful driver and barely use the horses under the bonnet your economy will be excellent..the main thing to always do is maintain the beast well..use top quality oils and filters.

KAA 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Trip from South of Sydney to Forster......it got down to 6.1 at one stage but the average for the 340km trip was the best i ever achieved.

Fuel - E10 94 Octane

280297484_728658788169672_6471175487804781861_n.jpg

Edited by Presara1964