"check engine" light.

black turkey

ok here is a lil story,

last week i decided i was spending a lil too much on fuel, so for ****s and giggles i decided to give my car a bit of a break and drive it as economically as possibly, i usually get about 480-500km per tank and i ALWAYS drive this car very hard, change at 5000+ rpm pretty much everytime through 1st and second and very regularly i meet my rev limiter.

so i thought ill give my car an easy week of driving, i drove sooo slowly and easily. but i got only 200km and i was already below half a tank! then on sunday u was driving to town (very economically) and my check engine light comes on, so i pull over, im thinking "the first **** week im nice to you, you let me down". anyway i had a look at my motor and the MAF sensor had fallen out of my dodgy PVC air intake job, so i put it back in and the light goes away. i was happy and i also figured that it was the cause of the poor fuel consumption. so i thought stuff it ill go back to normal driving and do this again next week. on sunday night the light came on again, i wiggled the sensor abit and it went off. i didnt drive it at all on monday, and today the light comes on twice within a 30km drive.

so does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? or if it is a bit more serious than i'm thinking it is.

In response to the first part of the story, you car has adjusted to you. You've set the standard for it. Hehehe. It's like my old Camry... was stable at anything above 105km/h, but below that was fairly rough.

But joking aside, from the sounds of it, it seems like your MAF sensor isn't mounted very well. You should take a few photos to show how it's sitting. It should be pretty secure and shouldn't wiggle around. If it's mounted solidly, my next step would be to get some electrical contact cleaner, disconnect the sensor, clean out the plug and socket (and while you're at it, clean the sensor) then connect it all up again. Sometimes these things can be pretty sensitive, and a dirty electrical connection can mess things up ever so slightly.

u guys know toyota doesnt use MAF sensors any more havent for a while MAP are used now the sensor u guys are talkin bout is a temp sensor if u take your car to a toyota dealer u'll probably fine uve foould up your o2 sensor or af sensor on your exhaust

that's interesting... could you direct me as to where the map sensor is on a 1zzfe, 2zzge, 2grfe, 1nz, beams 3sge, vvti 1jz or any other recent toyota engines?

u guys know toyota doesnt use MAF sensors any more...

Really? Well I guess that this thing that the air intake temperature sensor is attached to is just for show. This is off a recent 2007 design Toyota and is a fairly common sensor.

mafyf9.jpg

k ill look it up tomorrow for now u can be right u might stay right find out tomorrow if u r right thank u for the info

k ill look it up tomorrow for now u can be right u might stay right find out tomorrow if u r right thank u for the info

Care to enlighten us on what you found?