Water issues with TRD CAI

Hi guys,

one question, are there any water issues regarding the trd cai or other CAI's in general with water as i had to drive through a few roads and streets which were flooded today (no where else to go) as the melbourne boys would have found out. The water i say was about at least 6 inches deep and i did go through them slowly.

im not very mechanically minded but i do know that water and oil dont mix. any chance of water entering the engine?

i checked the filter (ITG pod filter) when i got home and i was rather moist and i could see water on the filter rim itself and in the bay where the pod sits.

thanks. :blink:

btw. my car is lowered 40mm

Edited by arcxis

if the filter becomes submerged it will suck water in the engine and you will get hydrostatic lockup this is NOT good you will end up with things like busted conrods. If you MUST drive through water disconnect the silicone elbow at the intake manifold, you will have to keep the car reving as this by passes the air flow meter so it will stall if you are not carefull

• Like 1

I was extremely fortunate this morning on the way to work around 2.45 am, cruising around 90kph through back roads pouring down rain I hit a mini river, needless to say the car launched sideways from the impact, i had no steering for a sec, and managed to coast through it with the car slowing down to half the speed, unbelievable. I cheched the CAI, there was water under the bonnet, I didnt feel any difference and i checked the pod, its very dirty with grease like components from the water mixing with the oil from the pod. I dont think water can pass that easy through the pod, remember its oil based, ill have to remove it and give it a big clean now, ill let you guys know if the car stuffs up :).

I am working from home today.

My home (on a farm) is flooded, but luckly the house and garage is on high ground. The road and entrance to the farm is gone, about half a metre of water. There is no way my stivo is going through their. So I am locked in and cannot get out.

I wonder is there is a TRD snorkel for the Prado and Landcruiser that can be retrofitted to the stivo. :lol:

u could always try and make a shield around the pod. like something that'll fit over the pod and all the way up to the pipe.

:o Guys be very carefull ... I read about something like this in a local forum in SA. A guy with an intake went through a heavy puddle and his engine had to be redone from sucking water into the intake.

http://www.tolken.co.za/twincamforum/viewtopic.php?t=5881

Wonder if I should take mine off :huh:

so how can you tell if the engine has sucked in water? and if so, what do you do about it?

the car seems to run normal at the moment, but i must take the pod out and dry it.

cheers

hrmm probably need to get the engine flushed and inspected at the very least.

so how can you tell if the engine has sucked in water? and if so, what do you do about it?

the car seems to run normal at the moment, but i must take the pod out and dry it.

cheers

well if it sucks in alot of water u will no cos it will go bang and ull have a con-rod or 2 hanging out the side of ur engine block

If you want to know what happens when water is sucked into the intake - think reduced displacement but sudden & super increase compression ratio and high pressure steam. If enough is sucked in, say goodbye to piston rings, con-rods and head gasket at the very least.

Edited by qkslvr
  • Like 1