Energy suspension Engine mount inserts

xoom

I get a few pm's every now n then asking about the engine mount inserts

basically my thoughts are they are nice cheap mod to help stabalise that damn 2zz from going off its nana and moving around like a mofo .....

anyone who has seen the 2zz unleashed @ a dyno day knows their is a crap load of movement in the bay

basically just found a dude sellin then on ebay and thought i'd share the love.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor-Mount...emZ120299568877

because of the amount of movement i was seeing out of my car i had to get custom washers made up to hold both ends of the inserts in on the rear mount ...... not sure if u will have the same issue N/A

u can see the custom washer made up in this pic ..... basically only about 5-10mm showing around the outside of the insert ..... the dark grey is the washer.

workshop5.jpg

Has anyone tried engine mount inserts? I had them in the Mazda, and they didn't do much unless you put them in the rear engine mount aswell, and by doing that the cabin vibrations were intolerable. But doing the other 3 engine mounts wasn't bad at all, but neither did it help that much either...

Cheers, Gav.

Yeah......if your going to do it ya gotta commit and do all mounts otherwise the effect wont be there.....Blind Kid Seeks and Guni on here i know have the energy suspension mounts in their sportivos put in prob a month or two ago....they say can notice a fair difference.....response is little more instant as engine isnt tiliting/flexing before doing anything etc....i myself dont like the cabin vibration it gives......bit too much for me i like the minimal vibration cabin......definently gives it a more racey feel as well as you actually feel everything...........for 40$ for mounts or somehting and not too expensive install give it a go can always take them out if not your cup of tea......Blind Kid Seeks mentioned that on longer trips too your hands get tingly and numb from steering wheel vibration resonating from mounts......price you pay for the racey feel and increased response .......hard to say he can prob describe better the benefits you actaully feel........

cheers

they didn't do much unless you put them in the rear engine mount aswell

Bill has it in the rear mount if i read correctly, and IMO the rear mounts are the only one you'd need to do.

The difference with stiffer mounts is definitely noticable in many ways. However my approach is not by using the inserts, as i have re-cast the whole mount with Shore 75 polyurethane.

From what i have noticed is...

- More direct response and less 'laughing' from the engine

- Not a noticable change in cabin vibrations (from my application)

- More direct shifting, and Shore 75 seems to still give SLIGHT movement to take up the aggressive knocks on hard shifts

- Overall more solid drive in terms of power delivery

- Reduction in exhaust movement and vibrations (Great for those with rattley CES exhaust! :P even more so if you use polyurethane exhaust hangers)

Here is a picture of my rear engine mount.

enginemount.jpg

I chose to cast my own mounts with Shore 75 polyurethane (for those of you that are not familiar, 'Shore' is the rating used for polyurethane hardness/stiffness) is because the slabs of machined polythurethane available from SuperPro etc are usually around Shore 90, which is very stiff for engine mounts, as with the application used with the C-ONE solid engine mounts (Except they used rubber). Its fine if you're building a track car, and not expecting a lot of bumps while driving.

Double thumbs up from me in terms of the inserts if you don't want the hassle of recasting. :)

Good thread Bill, need to see more people on this forum with some more serious and sensible mods (rather than this constant b!tching about CAI and CES)

Cheers.

Pippy.

Yes the inserts arent as good as making your own mounts with the Shore rubber/urethane.

But overall.. BFYB.. i think they are a great addition to the car's engine. Yes the vibration is annoying at first... but you get used to it. And the more direct torquey feel to the engine now is great.

Gear shifting has improved 10 fold.. and the hole car seems to be reacting better.

I say go for it.

Too much vibration going through the pedal and through the cabin would definitely not be good for your health. I had them on for about two months before I removed then. I spend about 2.5 hours on the road and most of it is on the highway which is really annoying.

But...

If you don't need to spend too much time on the road with your car everday then it is worth it. I absolutely loved it once it was in, but after two months just couldn't take it anymore. Definitely need it on the track, the response is insane.

Had it in about the same time BKS did. Felt the difference immediately!

Vibrations were un-bearable at first but so is life, just f@rk it and move on I say.

More torquey down low and a bit on the mid. It puts more power on the road than anywhere else. This is because tyres that don't use to squeel now does.

Driving on the freeway at a 100KM/H does make u feel crappy at times because of the constant "low volume bass' eminating from the engine bay but I quickly got over it. Car is still comfortable enough to drive in (for me).

Initially, my passengers thought I had an exhaust put in. Rev 3-4000 is the most annoying part as I feel that's where it vibrates the most.

I'll add more as it comes to me. Been driving with it for quite a while so can't remember how it use to feel like anymore.

I think my memory got vibrated out of my ears..... :blink:

hey guys does anyone know if energysuspension engine mounts fit 1zz 02 models i was thinking about getting some..plus apart from ebay where else could i sorce some from or will i have to cast my own??

well i'll be g()d d@mn !t !!!!!

Just noticed on the GOR cruise that the mounts are slowly peeling their way out ..... Same case with BKS so it looks like those garlic filled washers might be needed after all, Bill !!!!

Will post some pics to show what i meant.

Can post more pics on ur mounts bill?

• 3 months later...

Hi Dave0,

yeah i still like them.. you have to be happy with the vibration though.. some are some aren't... i have an annoying rattle in my dome light which is pretty bad... but other than that... i think (personally) i can justify the performance gains.

i still need some special garlic sauce kebab racing (aka developed by Xoom) washers to stop the mount inserts from squeezing themselves out.... will need to speak with someone at length on how to approach this.

the mounts are a tight fit and would require some shaving down to get the washers in there.

Northy cheated and went the Sikaflex route in the stock mount. It eventually just pushed it's way out. i had a set of the enerygy suspension mounts but only put the rear one in as it was the one I saw most movement in. Also got some washers to stop it from pushing out as that was the first thing I noticed too. Vibration from engine was increased ever so slightly but not enough to worry me or for the wife to complain or even notice so I didn't say anything!! Throttle response was heaps better without the engine jumping around like it does with totally stock mounts. clutch take up and feel also felt better too.

Next time you go to a dyno day watch a 2ZZ on the dyno rev up then hit the limiter and back off. The engine moves around quite a lot!

Well I didn't like it as the constant buzz at 3500rpm really got to me on the highway. But the response is awesome, I say give it a go and if you don't like it, take it back out. Doesn't cost much and its really effective.

My first impression was that it felt really really tight *no dirty thoughts please* :whistling:

Also I stalled my car constantly for about one day until I got use to it

• 5 months later...

Just got my car back today with the engine mounts in.

To describe them with one word? HATE.

There is so much vibration in the car that it is unbearable. I don't know how some of the guys here take it so well. There is so much rattling happening, the top of my dash rattles, my air-con vents rattle, my gash cluster plastic rattles and because I have recaro seats (factory seats have springs) I feel every vibration through my buttocks and my back.

Can anyone tell me if the vibrations will weaken after some driving as they might still be quite stiff?

Just got my car back today with the engine mounts in.

To describe them with one word? HATE.

There is so much vibration in the car that it is unbearable. I don't know how some of the guys here take it so well. There is so much rattling happening, the top of my dash rattles, my air-con vents rattle, my gash cluster plastic rattles and because I have recaro seats (factory seats have springs) I feel every vibration through my buttocks and my back.

Can anyone tell me if the vibrations will weaken after some driving as they might still be quite stiff?

It wouldn't weaken. You'll just get use to it.

I love the fact it plants power on the road instead of loosing it to wheel spin ..... which I seem to get a lot off anyways. :lol:

mine are out... and i love it.

The first thing I notice and love after getting out of the race car and into my road car is the lack of vibration. Closely followed by how easy it is to depress the clutch.

But the lack of vibration puts a bigger smile on my face. There is no way in hell I could cope with that everyday.

BTW ours are solid filled mounts as well not inserts.

So now I got two choices:

1. take out the energy mount inserts and put the oem ones back in or,

2. Buy the C-one engine damper.

What do you guys think? Will the engine damper distribute the vibration more and make it more bearable or will it just worsen it.

I have only driven the car for almost 1 hour and I find the vibration unbearable and it doesn't matter to me if the response if better if I don't even want to be in the car.

• 1 year later...

mine are in since last week and yes the vibrations are a bit annoying but i have to persevere until i get on the track!

my oem ones carked it anyway... maybe from my constant lifting... :whistling:

right now the only most annoying thing would be idling at 800 rpm and cruising at 100km/h. the buzzing at 100ks isnt as bad but i mainly do 50 to 60km and thats quiet as stock.

see how i go if i'm not happy i'll just chuck the oem inserts back in

plus how do u know they have popped out? more vibrations? u can physically see? any pics of these popping out and normally in? i dont think pedders put washers in mine. i have to ask them later or tomorrow...

also i noticed i'm up for my "100,000km" service and i noticed there is "tighten chassis bolts" part of the service. would this be required sooner because of the vibration in the chassis loosening the bolts?

the rear inserts have popped out already... i'm taking them out on wednesday, vibration got to me after 3 days LOL

pic of the popping out of those inserts soon

the rear inserts have popped out already... i'm taking them out on wednesday, vibration got to me after 3 days LOL

pic of the popping out of those inserts soon

LOL fail. I can't live without them now. Love the response too much. So are you going to buy a new mount coz its still cracked?