Toda MFactory Supersprint Civic - A season gone by and a Championship won

Ok, its not a Toyota, but I have a Toyota and its my first championship, so i'm bragging...thanks for reading :yahoo::toast:

Grid.jpg

The Toda Performance / MFactory EG Civic finished the 2008 NSW Supersprint Championship season on a high, winning the round and clinching the Class 3B Championship (Even though we only needed to finish 3rd for this round), and coming in 3rd for the Type Championship. We were there to win and win we did.

We took the Class Championship by 3 points, which we were very happy with. Missing a round placed us at a seemingly disadvantaged situation till the final round, but that’s the way the point’s system works. It doesn’t highlight the extent of the win and a better indication is our achievement, which is listed below.

An interesting day at the races this weekend. We encountered a problem which saw us miss 2 runs at the best part of the day, missing on opportunities to continue the rhythm and set some really fast laps. Our tyres, which had begun the season with us were showing signs of being totally heat-cycled out, was worn, showing signs of deterioration, blue-ing out, were slippery as hell. Unfortunately, working on a budget (Yes! despite the rumours, we do budget as we have limited funds like all enthusiasts - and I dare say our budget is a lot less than some people might think. :-p ), meant that we had to make do and drive through the issues. Having fresh tyres would've been a real bonus - Perhaps this is something we should budget for next year.

Anyway, this is about celebrations, not problems and we're happy to say, thanks to a great team effort, we were able to continue to participate through the night runs and remain on top even in those runs. Special mention goes to SuperR (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73959) for going out of his way to rush a critical part down and helping to fix the issue.

To summarise our achievements for this year in the NSW Supersprint Championships:

Round 1 - Oran Park GP - Did not contest

Round 2 - Wakefield Park 1.10.95 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record

Round 3 - Eastern Creek 1.51.84 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record

Round 4 - Oran Park GP 1.22.09 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record

Round 5 - Wakefield Park 1:09.45 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record (Again!)

Round 6 - Eastern Creek 1:54.94 - 3rd in Class 3B - Pulled out after Gearbox Issues

Round 7 - Oran Park GP 1.21.18 - 1st in Class 3B - Set class lap record (Again!)

Round 8 - Oran Park South - Event Cancelled

Round 9 - Oran Park South 50.27 - 1st in Class 3B - Missed the class record by 0.01 second but we'll be back stronger!

We have won 6 out of 8 events, the 2 we did not win was, 1) we did not participate, 2) we had a major issue.

We also set the class lap records in all but one of the circuits.

What drove us?

Coming out of 2007 with a runner up place in Class 3A, we decided that we needed to make modifying meaningful. While we were not ready for IPRA, the NSW State Supersprint was a good development ground - development for both the car and driver especially considering that I only started competitive circuit driving proper in 2007.

We chose Class 3B because of the level of competition in that class for 2007 but having the 2007 3B Champion pull out after 1 round in 2008 and missing a certain black Integra Type R, there wasn't any real competition left. We knew we would beat anyone else and so for each round, the car was set just enough to keep ahead of any competition. We were right.

The Car.

A 1/2 Cage was put in primarily for safety as we were already getting up there in terms of speed. Toda Fightex were chosen for their quality and proven record. For 2008, we went up to a B18C block. This was an engine development year for us. Despite what people say, the development of the car is no different in cost and time from the typical enthusiast that modifies their car. A key feature of our goal was for the car to be street able as well considering that I drive to and from the circuits. In fact you will find some equally comprehensive builds just looking through Ozhonda. The Toda Fightex coilovers were off the shelf items, exhaust system and gears are readily available to the enthusiast at very competitive rates (http://www.teammfactory.com). The engine built, no different from every other high powered engine application, and using quality Toda parts. Quads? Computer? well, almost every other modified car sports these items nowadays anyway. What we did not make ourselves, we used readily available off the shelf items widely used by modifiers around the world. So what was special? The combination.

The right combination, the careful planning of modifications, all derived from the vast experience of the Toda Workshop, ensured that the cost commensurate the gain. Yes, of course its costlier than a slapper installation, but we are assured of quality parts and reliability - Coupled with a very experienced, no bull engine builder and tuner. In the longer term, savings gained over having to tear down the engine every couple of months (or swap engines), or worse, for the enthusiast to live with a dud engine built in some dodgy backyard. Do it right from the beginning.

For the actual specification of the Toda Performance Engine, please contact Toda Performance Australia.

In brief, the specs are as follows:

Engine – Darton MID Sleeved B18C2 + Ported B16A head

Displacement - 1979cc

Bore -85.00mm

Stroke - 87.20mm

CR – Less than 12.0:1

Camshafts - TODA Racing Vtec camshafts

Gearbox – M-Factory SPL (Full gear set + final drive + LSD)

I/H/E - Mugen Air Box, SPL Air pipe, TODA carbon surge tank, TODA 50mm quad throttles, off shelf V2 TODA headers + 60mm M-Factory cat back

ECU - HONDATA S300

Pump Fuel.

A fair bit of time was definitely spent on the car to get the desired setup. Though for most rounds, the only work done on the car before each round was a quick check to make sure everything was mechanically sound. The engine rarely came out, nor did the engine get alot of Dyno time as much one might imagine from such a competitive package.

The Driver

Me!!! Its been an interesting year for me. Winning the Class championship feels surreal even though that was what we setout to do. I am not a gun driver (as overheard from the Ozhonda/Shift day), I'm Bruce Wayne, and at night, the Batman. haha..Kidding. No, I'm not different from any other enthusiast who enjoys driving their car. There's still a lot to learn, skills to pickup, but if anyone has a question, I'm more than happy to share. A good car always helps and Toda Australia provided a reliable engine combination that helped mask a lot of driving mistakes. :-D I'm privileged to have had the opportunity to drive this engine.

So for this year, we've done the minimum to stay ahead, but there is more. Stay tuned.

Special thanks - My wife for being understanding and supportive throughout the season (And for letting me race 1 week after the birth of our baby), Toda Performance for the advice, the support, the friendship - the fantastic memories of getting the car ready at the opening of the season and keeping the car in form before each round (Also for the driving tips - Next Target, Adrian's PB of 1:48 @ Eastern Creek..LOL). MFactory for the unwavering support. Close friends at Toda who have lent their advice, encouragement and support, to the guys on Ozhonda and Clubitr who have supported and encouraged as well, and not to mention, the Dave, for being, the Dave.

Vids of the event (Watch in High Quality)

Day Run 1 - Indecision at turn 1

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=4cw22Gkwup4

Day Run 2 - An FD3S

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=4-XAznYgvTU

Dusk Run - ITR and Evo (In the distance of course!)

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=VqSQIt07aPo

Night Run 1 - Holden Torana SS

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=98TggfzjZ6k

Night Run 2 - EG Civic

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bXbsdXBVOuc

Congrats Mate!!

My aim is to get the cappa ready for some supersprints in 2010 (hopefully i will have more funds by then etc) Hopefully as i wanna do more then just track days, also thinking of doing some motorkhanas next year.

Congratulations on the win. Going to enter the Aurion next year for a challenge? :P

Thanks all.I really happy but tired. Already being criticised by another competitor. :blink:

I wouldn't mind racing the Aurion if it will shut the RWD crew up but I can't afford to make my Aurion competitive.

Unless Toyota wants to provide me a car. :whistling: