Neck strain with Kluger head rest

kirby7777

Received my Kluger Grande last weekend. :yahoo:

Still finding my way through the various buttons and touch screen.

Twice a week I have to drive a 120km round trip to work. One thing that I immediately notice is that the head rest is significantly tilting forward compared to other cars I have driven in the past. This forward tilt creates a significant hollow and lack of support behind the neck. As I result I just can not get my head and neck into a comfortable position despite adjusting the head rest and the back rest. As you know the head rest can be adjusted up and down and it also has a limited tilting function in the lower part of the bolster/head rest cushion.

Adjusting the back rest backward would reduce the strain a little bit but does not eliminate it.

I emailed the sales manager and was told that Toyota purposely does it so in order to minimise whip lash injury. He also said that he has another customer mentioning the same.

Well, it is so annoying to me that I have to roll up part of my jumper and place it behind my neck to get a bit of neck support.

Nearly 30 years of driving and I have never experienced something of this kind. I would rather have the risk of whip lash injury any day then having neck strained whenever I drive the car. :angry:

Anyone of you notice this?

What is my solution?

Buy a secondhand (and non matching) headrest from elsewhere?

Strap one of those neck bolster that I have seen around? They are more for passenger that want to sleep on the seat and the bolster would support their head and neck so that the head does not roll too much side way.

Get the wife to fashion a small bolster for me to place behind the neck whenever I need to?

Thanks.

I noticed that when i test drove the car, toyotas response is that it is not a head rest. End of story.

They call it head restraint, therefore they claim they dont have to make it comfortable as they claim if you are in a correct driving position, you should not be using it to support your head. They do have a point, but 99% of people do rest their head on it, whether it be at a shopping centre or at the traffic lights.

I personally think its a load of crap, and have bought a little pillow that fits in that hollow nicely, it was from an auto shop, works well, though my wife is shorter, it doesnt affect her as much.

I had the same experience. It really is terribly uncomfrotable. At the moment I have just turned my headrest around the other way. I am thinking of getting a workshop to bend the supporting bars to a more reasonable angle but I am concerned that this would weaken the restraint......

Anyone else have additional ideas ?

Edited by Grunt

I don't have problems with the headrest when I'm sitting in the vehicle. However, sitting in the passenger seat and trying to have a snooze is a damn challenge!!

Compared to the VE Commodore, the head rest is the Kluger is a dream!

I don't have problems with the headrest when I'm sitting in the vehicle. However, sitting in the passenger seat and trying to have a snooze is a damn challenge!!

Compared to the VE Commodore, the head rest is the Kluger is a dream!

Ours is fine too if you are positioned correctly in a seat/vehicle you should never need to use the head rest its mainly there to stop neck injury in the event of an accident if people do let me know I'm getting of the road when you come!

How do you people observe whats around you if you want to put your head on a headrest, its like using a race seat/harness on the road not much fun and not very practical in the real world. :whistling:

:idea: Solution try a bit of neck exercise or dont drive on the road!

I fractured my neck when I was a kid so I know what a bad neck feels like

I've not noticed any problem with the Kluger, but I also don't rest my hear on it. If you want a bad head restraint, drive a Holden Captiva. Diabolical. Felt like I had to lean through the steering wheel just to keep my hear away from the thing.

Professional drive (cough cough...) don't use head rest. The correct position of driving should allow gaps between head rest and your head. You should sit upright and forward enough so your wrist will rest easily on the steering wheel.

And I don't even use the head rest when I have a helmet on...

I think it is time to get your driving position professionally checked like in advance driving school.

Professional drive (cough cough...) don't use head rest. The correct position of driving should allow gaps between head rest and your head. You should sit upright and forward enough so your wrist will rest easily on the steering wheel.

And I don't even use the head rest when I have a helmet on...

I think it is time to get your driving position professionally checked like in advance driving school.

Well put especially the last line and I recommend the driving course I did three of them in the Mazda car club in the late 90's, I enjoyed them that much....and it pays dividends in the long run especially if you are going to drive on our roads nearly every day of your life as I do :) :D :P

They where the days you could have a whole day’s theory, one on one, practical, and a bit of fun track time at the end for about 1hr all for less than $100.00 and they through in a banquet lunch to top it off!!!! :toast:

I hope we have not scared you off Kerby if so its not intended bad habits are very hard to break I just wish I could keep both hand on the wheel when I’m city driving :blink: Im getting lazy in my old age :unsure:

Edited by PC XT

I must say I don't really get it. Are you saying you want your head to be touching the headrest while driving?

Opposite.

Don't rest your head on head rest while driving... ironic isn't.

I only use my the head rest when my wife tells me something I don't want to hear and use it as a gesture... most of time is about her spending money. <_<

I must say I don't really get it. Are you saying you want your head to be touching the headrest while driving?

Opposite.

Don't rest your head on head rest while driving... ironic isn't.

I only use my the head rest when my wife tells me something I don't want to hear and use it as a gesture... most of time is about her spending money. <_<

I meant the OP.

Yes, yes, yes. 99% of time the back of my head is touching the head rest while driving. It has been so as far as I have been driving and never ever have any problem/neck strain until now. <_<

Yes, yes, yes. 99% of time the back of my head is touching the head rest while driving. It has been so as far as I have been driving and never ever have any problem/neck strain until now. <_<

After driving the Kluger to work, to get it serviced (My wife drives it 99% of the time) I under stand what you are talking about the head rests, my head does hit/touch them more than the XT seats head rests,...... very straight angle indeed.

I have no solution for you :( !

• 3 months later...

My husband and I purchased a Kluger KX-R December 2008, and have found it an absolute pleasure to own.... except for the head restraint. After several panadol and aspirin over the past two months, and many calls to Toyota Customer Care, we managed to speak with someone today at our local Toyota dealership who explained that it was not a headrest, but a head restraint, simply a safety feature, and suggested possibly removing it to increase comfort during driving!!!!! I find it fascinating that the Grande and KX-S models come with adjustable headrests that sit in the headrest position and need to be adjusted to sit in the head restraint position. Could it be that it is because it is so terribly uncomfortable to have a head restraint pushing your head forward whilst you drive? Seriously, this is an ergonomic disaster. Now wondering if we should sell our Kluger for a KX-S model. Seems a shame just for the headrests, but there's only so many headaches one should have to put up with just for driving the family car :angry: .

this must be a hight-related issue :unsure:

being within the 5% out layer, I have had no problems with head rests except for the lack of top-tilt adjustment, as typical for German (Italian?) cars.

I actually adjusted Polo's head rest forward to keep it as close as possible to my neck without it touching - the closer the distance the more effective when needed.

Occasionally, I would rest my head on it but that was not the way to drive long-term.

The bottom tilt on kluger makes no sense to me as a safety feature.

At the top, the head rest is not well aligned with my neck curve so I keep it low, tilted back at the bottom.

Some cars, including kluger, but particularly Nissan xtrail, have a forward aligned, non adjustable, head rest for the center seat in the back and that can be rather uncomfortable for small people, as indicated to me by a friend.

I'm reasonably tall and have had a lot more back and neck pain since driving the Kluger. I've adjusted all the settings on the seat but can't seem to find a position that feels right. Even had my chiropractor take a look. Not the most comfortable car seats.

I'm tall and never had a more comfortable seat or head rest/restraint. Since reading this thread I've taken more notice and still think it is great. I have never, ever driven a car with the head rest touching my head while driving, personally it seems strange to me but each to your own.

I have a very bad back (both lower and upper) and find long trips much easier now in my Kluger.

I'm 175cm (5'10") and my wife is 150cm (5') and have a KX-R. Neither of us have a problem with the head rest / restraint. My wife has back problems, but has found the Kluger to be fine for long and short trips. We don't even adjust the head rest when changing drivers.

Having just done a 700 km trip to Sydney and back, with a special attention to the position of the head rest, here are my findings.

I am firmly in the camp of those who find these seats very comfortable :clap:

Firstly, as for few others, the head rest is not an issue, no matter what position it is at. I keep it low so it seats close to my neck curve.

I do not need to support my head and if I did for a short time, it felt odd, very odd.

As most, I also have a back problem but a recent 1300 km done in one go was the most comfortable drive ever :D

chiropractic attention may be needed for some, but having just spend 100s over the last 2 months, my lower back has not improved at all, although the neck did.

Maybe that is the crux of the problem for these with head rest incompatibility - we are all different if only subtly

I keep it low so it seats close to my neck curve.

According to the manual, the centre of the head rest should be level with the top of your ears. Having it low means it is not positioned properly. At the very least the top should be above your ears to minimise whip lash.

I took the head rest out and played around with all the adjustments until I found the most comfortable position. Stuck the head rest back in and it intruded into the space wher my head wants to be. It needs to sit about 1-2cm further back. I find that it pushes my head forward which throws out my neck and back. I'm only in the car for an hour a day and it is having a big impact on me. I'm considering buying a replacement head rest, but am concerned with safety in rear end collision.

I keep it low so it seats close to my neck curve.

According to the manual, the centre of the head rest should be level with the top of your ears. Having it low means it is not positioned properly. At the very least the top should be above your ears to minimise whip lash.

I took the head rest out and played around with all the adjustments until I found the most comfortable position. Stuck the head rest back in and it intruded into the space wher my head wants to be. It needs to sit about 1-2cm further back. I find that it pushes my head forward which throws out my neck and back. I'm only in the car for an hour a day and it is having a big impact on me. I'm considering buying a replacement head rest, but am concerned with safety in rear end collision.

Well, its not just the hight - it must be the shape of the back of the skull and the curve of the cervix which make it, or not, OK.

I am happy :D and as close as possible for stopping the WL.

Well, its not just the hight - it must be the shape of the back of the skull and the curve of the cervix which make it, or not, OK.

Well I don't have a cervix so must just have an odd shaped noggin :D

Well I don't have a cervix so must just have an odd shaped noggin :D

really? so how is you noggin attached to the rest of you :D