OK Noobs, Lets get serious!

Pippy

where did u learn how to do all this?

how much did everything cost u roughly?

how many kw atws r u expecting to pull out?

Experience

You get to learn a bit when you have been mucking around with the same car for over 5 years and it also helps when you have friends that have even more experience up their sleeves. :) Other than that, it requires a lot of reading and experiementing to get it right, also other forums are great places to learn what other have done wrong and understand what's required so you don't fall in the same trap!

Cost

Well, i can't really put $$ to the project right now as most of the cost has gone towards the time spent. I will try and itemise things for everyone when i'm done, but to give you an idea how hard it is for me to work it out, i have bought enough gear and raw materials to build the same kit at least twice and another 2 or 3 kits for another motor like a 4AGE 16V or 20V

Power

I don't know what i am expecting to be honest, i don't even know how much boost the stock actuator does on the 2008 wrx turbo. :) lets say i'd be modest and estimate 150kw, but would expect full boost before 3000rpm and mountains of torque, and hopefull not spat rods... :P

Same turbo has been used countless times on 4E-FTE's (1.3L, lowish compression) and some are getting over 200HP without too much hassle. I reckon if you tune it properly and can keep up the fuel, you could manage a bar of boost around 150kW @ wheels.

Some more progress!!

Started painting the complete cooler pipes and some more progress on the rest of the plumbing! :)

project53.jpg

project54.jpg

The progress in the bay...

project52.jpg

New Magnaflow 5" mid muffler

project55.jpg

Should be quiet!! Here it is fitted

project61.jpg

All bits painted and fitted!! :)

project56.jpg

project57.jpg

Heat shield in place!

project58.jpg

This is a view from bottom up to show the space available away from the brake hoses etc.

project60.jpg

The oil return, heat wrapped dump (with added bracketing)

project59.jpg

Has it blown up yet LOL :P

Maybe if you were tuning it... :lol:

it's running 10psi with a 6500 revlimit. Well within the limits of the stock 1zz rods. 540cc injectors with the stock returnless fuel setup and a walbro pump. Max duty cycle of 73% in the top end with a rich 11:1 AFR. Gave it a run and made a full map for the yellow 2zz injectors aswell but they were in the 90's at the stock wastegate pressure of 7psi in the top end. Didn't bother/ran out of time to try the modified 450cc bosch injectors, not going to bother now as the 540's are perfect.

Currently no need for me to fabricate a return style fuel rail and lines etc as we've got headroom with the current injectors to push more boost. Next step is to book some dyno time to fine-tune the top end and get a power figure, that will probably wait until we've finished the first of the plug-in solutions for a full aftermarket ECU (which also drives the stock factory water temp guage unlike all the other aftermarket solutions at the moment).

Delicious. Why isn't this Stickied? There must be heaps of threads about...

"Turboing 1ZZ..."

"Turboing 2ZZ..."

"Supercharging 1ZZ...'

"Supercharing 2ZZ..."

"Cost involved with..."

Has it blown up yet LOL :P

Maybe if you were tuning it... :lol:

then again mate it won't ever win trophy at a car show if you detail it ;)

Spotted Pippy's car this arvo being joy ridden on Logan rd. Man the guy driving was giving the synchro's a good workout!! :P

Funnily enough my wagon won the "People's Choice" Trophy at the 2007 Toyota Owners Club of QLD show and shine... Detailed by me too :P

Funnily enough my wagon won the "People's Choice" Trophy at the 2007 Toyota Owners Club of QLD show and shine... Detailed by me too :P

I didn't enter that show obviously as I was in Sydney for the National Meet :P Must have been a lot of retired people there for your wagon to win people's choice!! The bowlers hat in the back got you over the line!!! :lol:

As for driving manuals have never owned an auto and really don't want to drive them. you wouldn't want to drive the bus I drove a few weeks ago then mate ..... 10 speed box with splitter. Plenty of gearshifting there!!

So when do we see some numbers out of the Pippy mobile??

The dyno time will be booked when the Two other ECU solutions are ready to go, after we install a new clutch plate. The original setup that's been in there forever is fine at 7psi but slips at 11psi when accelerating in 4th... The pressure plate is being rebuilt by NPC and it will get a new full face organic disc, good for 170kw atw or so..

The current setup would be no use at 14psi on the dyno when it's strapped so the wheels can't break traction like they do on the street

Edited by rollamods

The dyno time will be booked when the Two other ECU solutions are ready to go, after we install a new clutch plate. The original setup that's been in there forever is fine at 7psi but slips at 11psi when accelerating in 4th... The pressure plate is being rebuilt by NPC and it will get a new full face organic disc, good for 170kw atw or so..

The current setup would be no use at 14psi on the dyno when it's strapped so the wheels can't break traction like they do on the street

Had the same clutch issue with my brother's VW. Clutch and pressure plate had been beefed up as far as clamp pressure was concerned with an organic disc but on the dyno with 10psi as soon as the boost built to a decent level clutch slipped big time. engine out and Direct clutches did a full puck clutch with 3000 pound clamp pressure. Car made 246hp at the wheels(with slipping clutch and 80% throttle) and is now going back to finish tune and add some more boost so it runs 20psi. Should push it to over 300hp at the wheels with a very nice big fat torque figure.

HP wise you reckon it'll make somewhere around 275 atw??