OK Noobs, Lets get serious!

Pippy

i'm watching this very interested, as the pfc turns me off in terms of portability to other cars

whitestivo

Ahh!! I'm glad someone on there is thinking! :) When you look into what this ECU can do compared to the PFC you'll instantly want one.

We're almost done with my one, and i'm sure CHA54 would be willing to offer a plug-in option for corolla! (dare i say at a competitive rate too!)

i'm watching this very interested, as the pfc turns me off in terms of portability to other cars

whitestivo

Ahh!! I'm glad someone on there is thinking! :) When you look into what this ECU can do compared to the PFC you'll instantly want one.

We're almost done with my one, and i'm sure CHA54 would be willing to offer a plug-in option for corolla! (dare i say at a competitive rate too!)

Would CHA54 be selling the whole Vipec unit as well?

I can supply a ViPEC V44 ECU with adapter loom. The basic V44 kit would be ~$2K, I can currently supply the plug-in 1zz adapters, for a Sportivo I'd need a local Brisbane car to be available for a day or two so I can get the base-map dialed in ready for dyno tuning.

here's a video of the cold-start from this morning... also features the tach-sweep function at key on. Would have done a speedo sweep too but the Aux outputs were used up for the water injection and boost solenoid control:

Edited by CHA54

I can supply a ViPEC V44 ECU with adapter loom. The basic V44 kit would be ~$2K, I can currently supply the plug-in 1zz adapters, for a Sportivo I'd need a local Brisbane car to be available for a day or two so I can get the base-map dialed in ready for dyno tuning.

So all that's left is chucking it in and tuning it then ..... :unsure: ??

yep.

You could drive to dyno, swap loom plugs from stock ECU to vipec, and start the tuning.

Nice!! ;)

Let us know when you got availability and price for the 2ZZ Sportivo.

Good work mate. TOCAU appreciates you. :toast:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm doing some dyno tuning with this one on the weekend so I'll grab another vipec connector kit while I'm there and make up a 2zz V44 plugin adapter. Then all I'll need is a Brisbane sportivo to sort out the trigger calibration.

tuning went well, have limited the boost to ~9psi until I make the new water/meth injection resivour. Standard wastegate pressure on the MY08 WRX turbo is ~7psi, I installed a mac valve (boost solenoid) controlled by the vipec to bring it up to 9ish.

AFR through the whole boost range is 11.5:1, timing is 13-14deg in the mid-topend on this map. Looks like 170kw atw will be easily achievable with more boost and the water/meth injection.

1zzfte_dyno1.jpg

Edited by CHA54

tuning went well, have limited the boost to ~9psi until I make the new water/meth injection resivour. Standard wastegate pressure on the MY08 WRX turbo is ~7psi, I installed a mac valve (boost solenoid) controlled by the vipec to bring it up to 9ish.

AFR through the whole boost range is 11.5:1, timing is 13-14deg in the mid-topend on this map. Looks like 170kw atw will be easily achievable with more boost and the water/meth injection.

1zzfte_dyno1.jpg

Great stuff JP!!!

hehehe, now that i have a new clutch, new drive shaft and tuning done.

I will wait for till I get new rubber, and also clutch fully bedded in, then I'll be in for a retune.

Then I'll definitely be going to the track.

I test driven the car today, just briefly but enough for me to say the tuning is much more refined than when it was tuned with PFC.

The power feels ready, anytime. An example is when Pippy told me to use 4th gear at a very low speed, say about 40km, and it pulls so easily. And that's not at full throttle either. 2nd gear, 1/4 throttle is already more than enough to get the pace going. Pippy showed half throttle and it shoots. Later when his clutch is done, he'll show me full throttle and I think we gonna need a harness here.

And what that dyno shown is exactly how it is, very linear and constant. You just step on it and it goes. It's just very instant, and you can bet throttle response is knife sharp. I didn't even have to jab the throttle to rev-match, just tap it and rpm rises immediately.

And as mentioned above, the car feels very refined. You can definitely drive this car everyday without problem and that's one big plus. No problems with air-con either. Everything just works.

Just make sure you fine tune that right foot of yours Pippy!

Congrats boys!

You should change your location mate to Gold Coast. For those who are not up with your movements it might be wise so the Melbourne boys don't go looking for you LOL

So when are we going to see you at a meet??

Yeah, I forgot I put in the VIC location. I'll change it later.

I don't know when I can go for a meet, but I did saw you guys have thursday night meets. When I can go I will let you guys know on the thread.

Well, I must say, having been on this forum for around 5 years, the number of topics covered has not really increased at all. It still revolves around CAI and CES Exhausts. (oops, did I mention the taboo word?)

Here is what happens when you have a couple of fairly knowledgeable blokes and equip them with a shed, some backyard tools, a spare motor and some metal!

The motor of choice here for those of you not used to seeing it out in its naked state, is the 1ZZ-FE, I personally think it’s a under rated motor, as it is cheap to get and can still be fun while remaining predictable and economical!

I’ll let the photos do most of the talking and I’m sure the ‘quiet’ oldies would know where we’re heading with this, as for the chirpy NOOBS out there fire your questions here and who knows, you might learn something a bit more than just CAI

Laser cut 10mm alloy from our own CAD drawings

project00.jpg

First stage: 1.75" runners with custom die pressed ends to meet oval shape at the ports

project01.jpg

Notice the runners are made to match the angle of the ports so they are straight direct entry

project02.jpg

project03.jpg

Flat flange is a bit boring and for the sake of simplicity, backyard tools were used to create a fillet on the ports with a 12mm radius. Yes, it is a wood router.

project04.jpg

In action...

project05.jpg

end result:

project06.jpg

project07.jpg

Needs a bit of cleaning up and a polish to get it all nice a smooth... but I think that's enough for today!

I will keep everyone posted as we make some progress! :)

How can y get a intake manifold like that?????