Best fuel for Aurion?

Excuse me for quoting myself, but it would be more accurate than retyping it:

The Aurion recommends 91 RON ULP. They state that the power figure can go up to around 204kW on premium and that would most likely be for 95 RON PULP. You can use 98 RON, but it has been questionable as to whether it makes any more difference than 95 RON.

If you have the TRD Aurion however, they state that 98 RON PULP is the minimum acceptable.

That said, looking over my statistics, I have achieved better fuel economy running on 95 RON PULP, but then I haven't gone into the full analysis to determine whether or not the cost difference balances out. The Aurion will run on E10, 91 unleaded, or 95/98 premium and is not overly picky. Personally, I prefer to use premium for the extra piece of mind. I only use 95 though because I haven't noticed anything significant to suggest 98 would be better in our NA Aurion's.

Always use 91 and no problem at all so far.

I normally get average of 11L~12L with 91 from 90% of city driving.

I have filled 95 sometimes and found that 95 goes a bit smoother and a bit longer distance than 91 does.

Haven't tried 98 yet but I coudln't see any major differences between 91 and 95 so I just go for 91. :)

One of the boys from toyota showed me some comparative logging on an Aurion testing between standard 95 and E10, both the long term and short term fuel trims were higher on the E10, which basically means the ECU is injecting more fuel for the same rpm/load

Always used only 95 E10 or 98. Think I get slightly better consumption on 98 and on a trip, say Sydney to Canberra can stay below 8l/100k. Tried 91 a couple of times but didn't feel as good. Maybe just my imagination?......Cheers

91 exclusively. It was one of the reasons the car was purchased.

I got less than 9L per 100k on my last decent 600+K drive. The first warning light came on at ....(around 600ks ...I can't remember) but it would've had almost 100ks left in it from memory. Well impressed.

If Toyota say 91 then that's good enough for me. 98 is throwing money away. The best fuel is the one that generates the best horsepower isn't it? If that was 95, then 98 is still a waste of money.

"Maybe just my imagination?" Could be mpresara, and most likely imho. Generally too much subjectivity in this sort of topic to be useful. Is there any objective correctly measured evidence out there?

Edited by boxerboy

I got less than 9L per 100k on my last decent 600+K drive. The first warning light came on at ....(around 600ks ...I can't remember) but it would've had almost 100ks left in it from memory. Well impressed.

If Toyota say 91 then that's good enough for me. 98 is throwing money away. The best fuel is the one that generates the best horsepower isn't it? If that was 95, then 98 is still a waste of money.

"Maybe just my imagination?" Could be mpresara, and most likely imho. Generally too much subjectivity in this sort of topic to be useful. Is there any objective correctly measured evidence out there?

at 7.8 its obviously better than 9 on 95 so it does make a difference using 98 with a saver docket its better i got800 from one tank and it still only took 65 litres to fill

Edited by homer501

at 7.8 its obviously better than 9 on 95 so it does make a difference using 98 with a saver docket its better i got800 from one tank and it still only took 65 litres to fill

The result may vary depending on driving condition such as city or high speed driving and driving habit.

9L/100k sounds like driving mostly at 80Km/H or faster. 91 also can do less than 10L/100KM when you do 100% highway driving.

Also, your driving habit affects the fuel consumption. Accelating hard gives you bad fuel comsumption, of course, but if you are being like a gradma(no offence :spiteful: ), it even gives you 9L/100KM city(50%)+highway(50%) driving.

IMO, the higher octane fuel could give you smoother and longer running distance like I stated in other reply, but more importantly, driving habit and condition affect more on fuel consumption.

The result may vary depending on driving condition such as city or high speed driving and driving habit.

9L/100k sounds like driving mostly at 80Km/H or faster. 91 also can do less than 10L/100KM when you do 100% highway driving.

Also, your driving habit affects the fuel consumption. Accelating hard gives you bad fuel comsumption, of course, but if you are being like a gradma(no offence :spiteful: ), it even gives you 9L/100KM city(50%)+highway(50%) driving.

IMO, the higher octane fuel could give you smoother and longer running distance like I stated in other reply, but more importantly, driving habit and condition affect more on fuel consumption.

I might try 95 ron the next time I do the same trip. Hwy driving was most of the 600+ks, which compared to the Commodore Acclaim I had previously was fantastic. Same size tank but 150 ks better off. I'm no slouch when driving, but i don't need to go fast to get off either. I have motorcycles for that! Smooth technique without the traffic light bravado is a very efficient fuel saving technique. A teenager that gets motion sickness keeps things steady! :rolleyes:

I'd still prefer to read validated research before believing anything about using 98ron. Forums are sometimes wonderful places for excellent tips, but they can also be full of unsubstantiated subjective opinion...especially when it comes to emotional objects like cars.

In the long run, it doesn't matter what you use, or how you drive when you're using it..it's your money and you can do what you think best for your circumstances. Evidence however will inform much better than opinion, or anyones seatofthepantsdyno.

I'm confused, do you want to know which fuel is best for economy or power?

Or you wanna know which is best for the engine? :unsure:

From caradvice.com.au:

"Given the 200kW, the Toyota Aurion V6 will be the most powerful naturally aspirated locally-built 6 cylinder vehicle in Australia. If that wasn’t enough, Toyota’s figures are achieved using regular unleaded petrol, since the figure climbs to 204kW with premium unleaded petrol. Still using just 9.9litres/100km."

Edited by Stealth

I'm confused, do you want to know which fuel is best for economy or power?

Or you wanna know which is best for the engine? :unsure:

From caradvice.com.au:

"Given the 200kW, the Toyota Aurion V6 will be the most powerful naturally aspirated locally-built 6 cylinder vehicle in Australia. If that wasn’t enough, Toyota’s figures are achieved using regular unleaded petrol, since the figure climbs to 204kW with premium unleaded petrol. Still using just 9.9litres/100km."

I can't talk for the originator of the thread, but I'm more interested in the minimum requirements for the car to operate properly. It's a family car, not a young blokes cod...ahh, showpiece ;)

Performance doesn't interest me so much...it has plenty. 2% more power for 7-10% more fuel cost doesn't add up. It may for some. Would mileage improve 7-10% with 98ron? That might have me interested.

Edited by boxerboy

Hey guys,

Just a short question, which fuel is the best for aurion?

I filled 95 and got an average of 13.8 something

--------91 -------------------------- 14.9..............

is this normal??

what fuel you guys using?

cheers

I can't talk for the originator of the thread, but I'm more interested in the minimum requirements for the car to operate properly. It's a family car, not a young blokes cod...ahh, showpiece ;)

Performance doesn't interest me so much...it has plenty. 2% more power for 7-10% more fuel cost doesn't add up. It may for some. Would mileage improve 7-10% with 98ron? That might have me interested.

91 is more than fine. I don't feel a difference in Butt Dyno. 4kw in a street car with nothing more than shopping duties won't do jack all.

Well, there's your answer...

Lets not forget...

98 RON has a Research Octane Number (RON) of 98. It is a high-octane unleaded fuel that maximizes engine power and performance, as well as producing less pollution. It is more commonly used by imported and high performance vehicles

98 RON is promoted as providing excellent fuel economy. It has low levels of benzene, sulphur and lower aromatics and a sulphur content which is 10 times lower than the national standard for unleaded fuels.

Research Octane Number (RON) is a measure of a fuel's compression performance and the RON rating given translates into the amount of engine power. RON requirements vary according to engine type. A knocking noise can occur in an engine when there is a mismatch between the fuel characteristics and the engine's design, particularly its compression ratio, resulting in pre-ignition (also known as 'pinging').

Many imported cars, and particularly those with turbochargers, are manufactured to run on premium unleaded petrol. Selecting fuel with the correct RON for your engine will prevent the knocking fuel effect caused when the fuel combusts in the compression chamber too early.

With all this talk about the differences between 95 RON and and 98 RON, I personally doubt that it will make any difference in our Aurion without a supercharger. The whole octane thing is to give an identifier of how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. The lower the octane, the less fuel that can be compressed. For a car with forced induction, the higher octane fuels are really needed here because an increase in air intake equals an increase in fuel intake.

With the Aurion, the difference in power between unleaded and premium unleaded could be understandable since the fuel injection system may pick up on the fact that there is premium in the tank (through the use of knock sensors and whatnot) and be able to increase fuel delivery. I extremely doubt that the fuel injection system would inject any more fuel however when running 98 RON than running 95 RON as you would need an increase in air intake to match. As well, I believe that all this talk about 98 cleaning your engine better than 95 is all a load of marketing hype.

Either way, I'm going to continue with using 95 RON. If you want to use 98 RON for piece of mind, then that would be your choice. I just don't like hearing it when people say that they are getting more power or better fuel economy when using 98 over 95 without giving substantial evidence to back it up. Sorry if this sounded like the start to some argument. It's been a long day and I can't word it any different right now.