DJKOR

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting ready for QR hey??

Sure am. I just really wish I could have had my suspension completed by then.

So brake pads are all changed and had their initial bedding in. The next stage is to continue driving for the next week to let them settle in a little better. So far I have found them to be really good when compared to my last set, the Bendix General CT. Those pads were a bit of a mistake in choice, but there was only so much I could do given the situation.

Just as advertised, the QFM (Queensland Friction Materials for those that don't know) HPX pads bite really well when warmed up, but even better is the fact they bite equally as well when cold. When I was bedding them in, I found that after 6 or so aggressive slow downs, they were still working really well, even while giving off some smoke. My previous Bendix would have given up at that time.

Now in case anyone may be wondering, the HPX pads are grouped together to be similar but perform better than something like Bendix Ultimates or EBC Greenstuff. The next step up in the QFM range is their A1RM which is grouped together with EBC Redstuff (but better). The reason why I didn't get the A1RM is because it is a more aggressive pad. Considering my Aurion will only see a track once or twice a year, I'd rather sacrifice that little bit of extra stopping power to getting more life out of my rotors. To me, $450+ on rotors is something I don't want to be spending on too often.

As for anything else QR related, I had the strangest feeling on Friday before I changed my pads. As I was driving, I was making a turn and all of a sudden I could just feel that the tires were giving out more grip than they had before (with same conditions). It's like they got to that stage in their life where they are now ready for a beating. They have travelled about 3000-4000km since I changed them. Because of that, when I changed my brake pads, I took the opportunity to rotate my tires as well.

About all I have left to do is to get my 75,000km service this coming week and then take it to the track. I so can't wait for it. I'm also tossing up whether to put in a transmission cooler this week. My spare time is the only thing limiting me.

get the TC in if you can man :)

aprox how much were the pads? if you dont mind sharing

Sorry for late reply, even though we discussed this last meet, I will post here for others.

I didn't get the transmission cooler in on time for QR. Main reason for this is because I plan on changing my transmission fluid AFTER I go to the track. Here lies the problem. If I put in a cooler, I will need to add about 0.5-1.0 litres of transmission fluid after I connect everything up again.

Now I have just heard that there are other suitable WS (World Standard) ATF alternatives out there and I plan to change my fluid with one of these instead. So this means if I put the cooler in before QR, I would have had to have purchased a 4 litre can of the Toyota stuff to top it off which is a bit of wasted money I don't want to spend.

If figured, I'll go to the track with it as is and then afterwards I will change the fluid and add a cooler at the same time. It seems to have held up alright at the track, so at least it wasn't overly critical.

As for the QFM pads, HPX pads have a standard price of $79 per axle for pad designs they have in stock. They can custom make pads if they don't already have them (if you provide the backing plate of your old pads) for a little bit extra. After going to the track, I have to say that these pads are quite good. I did run out of brakes in a couple of corners after some pretty hard braking, but I think this was more the brake fluid boiling than the pads giving up.

While in my thread here, I may as well mention again that I took my car to QR yesterday. It was quite a fun day and I wrote up some stuff in the thread over here. My fastest time of the day was 1:08.6.

And just for fun, here is a photo on the track:

QR.jpg

And a quick video of random parts:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

nice time on the track. when i have spare time i might hire out a car or borrow a mates and see how i do on a track compared to a straight (i bet i totally suck)

As many other track goers say, I would highly recommend going out to the track. Straight lines are fun, but curves show your true skill.

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about epic disappointment. Today I am stuck working and won't make it home till late. Then tomorrow morning at 7am I will be heading up to Hervey Bay for work. This is expected to go until Sunday. Then immediately afterwards, I will be heading to Canberra for at least one week (but up to 2 weeks have been pencilled in).

Now why is this disappointing?

... Toyota gave me a call today to tell me that all my suspension components have now arrived.

damn... :(

want me to go and pick them up for ya?

Hehehe. Either way, I can't fit them till all my work is done so thanks for the offer.

At least it's not a case where I have them in my hands and can't do anything about it.

... Toyota gave me a call today to tell me that all my suspension components have now arrived.

The other three springs and shocks turned up a lot quicker than I expected. Look forward to you being in town long enough to get them on for me to look at. :spiteful:

The other three springs and shocks turned up a lot quicker than I expected. Look forward to you being in town long enough to get them on for me to look at. :spiteful:

Yeah. I was quite surprised as well. Was expecting at least 2-3 more months. Well at least it's all coming together now.

no nebo run this week for you then daryl?

Unfortunately not.

Well, thanks to work changing the schedule of things, Canberra has been put back another couple of weeks or so, which means I finally got a chance to pick the stuff up. Unfortunately I don't think I can fit it for at least another few days because of work. Will post more photos as I get it done though:

TRD Aurion springs and shocks:

dsc05284c.jpg

And as well, my eBay purchase arrived in the post today. I will post back in a moment once I've sorted it out. Just a preview:

dsc05286k.jpg

Hey Daryl, if you don't mind my asking. How much did the TRD springs and shocks set you back? Also how did it go clearing it via Toyota Parts department? :P

Hey Daryl, if you don't mind my asking. How much did the TRD springs and shocks set you back? Also how did it go clearing it via Toyota Parts department? :P

I know the guys at the parts department fairly well now, so they always sell stuff to me at list price. Because of this as well, they never hesitate whenever I enquire about TRD Aurion parts. So for me there were no issues with obtaining such parts.

I can't tell you how much I got all the bits and pieces for, but I can tell you that the retail for all of them together would come to about $1675 including GST.

steering wheel?

Sure thing.

Out with the old:

dsc05289k.jpg

dsc05296.jpg

In with the new:

dsc05304.jpg