DJKOR's Aurion

DJKOR

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I got back from Hervey Bay last night at 11pm and then took a quick break and got stuck into it. From 12am to 6am (was working slow to make less noise) I managed to get my TRD springs and shocks fitted.

Stupid me though forgot to take a before shot. I was going to use a Coke can on the ground for height reference, but completely forgot. Considering that I did do it late at night, I think you can cut me some slack.

First I did the rears and after I took the rear off the stands, I immediately noticed that it was definitely lower than before. Then I got around to doing the fronts. The end result wasn't as obvious but I could definitely feel that it is lower (just from leaning into the engine bay).

I took it into Fulcrum at midday to get it all re-aligned and I must say, I am quite satisfied.

It's not a massive improvement, but it sure feels better. It feels like I am able to accelerate better while cornering and there is less squat in the rear when I accelerate hard. The most noticeable difference however is the ride comfort. I guess my last shocks were near the end of their life because with these ones, it rides so softly again.

I didn't really take photos of it all cause it's as basic as it gets but here are a couple of side by side shots.

Shock absorber. You can see the TRD one on the left is slightly shorter:

dsc05310v.jpg

Rear springs:

dsc05314.jpg

Front springs:

dsc05315e.jpg

Quick final shot:

dsc05316h.jpg

Okay. So I took it around Nebo last night and my impression after all that was 'wow'.

Stuck to the road much better than before. I was able to enter corners harder and faster than before and was getting less wheelspin as I put the power down to get out of them.

As well, when you do give it a bit of a push to get the rear end out, it is very predictable and makes it easier to control. Money well spent in my opinion.

Now I am really itching to go back to the track and see what it can do.

good to hear that you think it was worth the money.. :)

i think they should lower it a little bit over stock.. but it'll never drop it to the ground...

but i like the stance that the trd's have... they're not too high and not too low.. :)

did Ingres wetted your seat while you were testing the new setup @ Nebo DJKOR? :P

I'm pretty sure he didn't. I did take it a little easier though cause I wasn't 100% familiar on how the car reacts to what I threw at it.

• 2 weeks later...

While I was working on updating our Aurion FAQ's and took a look through my thread again, I thought I would take some measurements and update this thread.

Since I forgot to take before photos of my car when it was sitting on stock Sportivo suspension, I didn't really have a comparison photo. I did manage to find a thread however where I took original measurements so I now have something to work with. After having these fitted for just under 10 days, these are some before and after measurements.

Stock Sportivo suspension:

Top of rim to bottom of wheel arch:

Rear - 145mm

Front - 155mm

Bottom of side skirt to ground:

Rear - 205mm

Front - 180mm

TRD Aurion suspension:

Top of rim to bottom of wheel arch:

Rear - 130mm (15mm difference)

Front - 142mm (13mm difference)

Bottom of side skirt to ground:

Rear - 182mm (23mm difference)

Front - 161mm (19mm difference)

Yes the skirts are lower to the ground despite the rim to arch difference, but that's how it measured.

So overall the drop is not that much, but for me it feels like just enough.

• 4 weeks later...

I may as well mention this now. Was going to say it all and have photos of them fitted etc, but due to illness, these are just going to be sitting around in my garage now for a while until I am well enough to get them fitted/wash the car/take photos etc.

Nothing too fancy... they are still 17 inch. So essentially I just have these as a change of wheel design.

dsc05428f.jpg

what is the weight difference between the stockies and these? i love the design of kappa's but having the amount of spokes that they do and still being 17's i recon they will look even smaller than the stockies unfortunetly

and they still x7's? or 7.5's?

what is the weight difference between the stockies and these? i love the design of kappa's but having the amount of spokes that they do and still being 17's i recon they will look even smaller than the stockies unfortunetly

and they still x7's? or 7.5's?

Still 7's. Don't know about the weight. Really don't have the energy to take mine off the car right now to weigh it. Doubt there is any.

I really don't care about the size they look. I thought you would have realised that by now.

i love the design of kappa's but having the amount of spokes that they do and still being 17's i recon they will look even smaller than the stockies

thats what i like about the Kappas,because the spokes go all the way to the end of the rim they look bigger. On my car they look like 18"

as my other 17" look like 16" but if my car was lower it wouldnt worry me..

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing too much new. Got around to swapping my wheels over the other week and this was the result afterwards (will eventually get better photos):

dsc05429.jpg

dsc05431h.jpg

Then as part of the process of changing my rear wheel bearing, I picked up some DBA Street Series slotted rotors for the rear. Not quite the 4000 Series that I wanted, but they are always on 'backorder', and considering the amount of braking the rears do, the Street Series should do fine:

dsc05448.jpg

Wow the rear rotor size looks tiny compared to the centre hub.

Car is looking awesome DJ!

I think lowering her a lil more willl set it off.

Are the TRD springs much stiffer over the factory Aurion ones?

I think lowering her a lil more willl set it off.

It's now one of those things I've just learnt to live with. Lowering more would certainly look good... and comply with everyone's thoughts, but I am quite happy at how she sits. I've learnt to live with it.

Are the TRD springs much stiffer over the factory Aurion ones?

They certainly feel just that little bit stiffer than the stock Sportivo springs, but it's kinda hard to tell because my last set of shocks were on their way out and when I put the TRD springs in, I put new shocks in which really tamed everything down again.

looks better than i expected mate! i like the look, and yes wow those rotors look small

Thanks. They certainly can take more brake dust now. Yeah, they really do look small and I'm too cheap to do a full on big brake kit right now.