auspack GPS/DVD/TV

Sera30

I was more worried about the reverse camera, I dont have any tools to cut that hole in the boot out. And what about the wiring for it?...

I am also a bit concerned not so much about the fitting but the wiring up...

The cabling as supplied doesn't seem to add up but then I was always a bit slow. Does any power go directly back to the head unit? The way I see it the only cable that would make that trip would be the video feed? What also has me confused is a seperate "Reverse Camera Connection Chart" that came with what I would describe as a diode switch. This shows a power lead from the camera right back to the head unit called a 'reverse checkup'

Thanks in advance!

Fly

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was more worried about the reverse camera, I dont have any tools to cut that hole in the boot out. And what about the wiring for it?...

I am also a bit concerned not so much about the fitting but the wiring up...

The cabling as supplied doesn't seem to add up but then I was always a bit slow. Does any power go directly back to the head unit? The way I see it the only cable that would make that trip would be the video feed? What also has me confused is a seperate "Reverse Camera Connection Chart" that came with what I would describe as a diode switch. This shows a power lead from the camera right back to the head unit called a 'reverse checkup'

Thanks in advance!

Fly

Fly

trust me its not that your slow it the instruction you get with the unit doesnt explain thing properly.

its been a while since i installed mine but ill try to remember (someone will correct me if im wrong).

if i remember right you dont have to add power on the back of the head unit the old wiring should just plug in. you have to earth the park brake wire (green one i think)

As for the reverse camera you have to power that so i welded some wire from the reverse light on the car to the power wire for the camera. and then sent it up to the head unit to the reverse check up.

it would be easier to explain how to install it if i was doing it at the same time

I was more worried about the reverse camera, I dont have any tools to cut that hole in the boot out.

My unit came with the hole saw which was the exact size to cut a hole to fit the camera. Made things much more simple.

Everything to get the stereo working is plug and play. The only things that require extra connecting is the handbrake ground (green wire) which I just grounded to the body of the stereo, and the reverse +12v sense (pink wire) which I connected to the harness in the passenger kick panel that leads to the reverse lights (shown below).

dsc02442lr2.th.jpg dsc02436ay5.th.jpg

If you go that route, the plug that you will tap into has two red wires. The one you are after is that one with the silver dot on it.

... I have had reports that the red wire with silver dot is not the right wire. Since everyone seems to give up after they find it is the wrong wire, I have gone back and double checked the harness.

I do apologize as this is an honest mistake, but this is why I suggest people pick up a cheap multimeter if they plan on playing with the wiring of their car. This way you can find stuff out like this without having to ask.

Anyways, the wire you need to tap into is the thin red wire with no other markings on it. I have indicated this wire in the attached photos:

dsc02442lr2.jpg

dsc05688f.jpg

Fantastic - DJKOR/sera709, guys your explanations and pic's have made it clear what I need to do.

Got the old unit out yesterday by following the instructions DJKOR posted in the other thread.

Cant wait to get the thing going :) Thanks once again!

Edited by Fly

If I lived near you, I'd install it in under 30 minutes (head unit only) for a beer and lunch :rolleyes:

The good (or bad) thing about the Aurion head unit is that it is so damn easy to swap. If I were a thief, I could take a head unit out of an Aurion and be gone with it in under 2.5 minutes.

Our dear DJKOR aurion master, I am living in Brisbane and getting one of those unit. Can I buy you a meal? :spiteful:

If I lived near you, I'd install it in under 30 minutes (head unit only) for a beer and lunch :rolleyes:

The good (or bad) thing about the Aurion head unit is that it is so damn easy to swap. If I were a thief, I could take a head unit out of an Aurion and be gone with it in under 2.5 minutes.

Our dear DJKOR aurion master, I am living in Brisbane and getting one of those unit. Can I buy you a meal? :spiteful:

I highly encourage the DIY option first. It let's you learn more about your car and the procedure itself it really simple. From the advice on the boards, sera709 was able to successfully do the job himself. If you're still stuck, you should rock up to one of the weekly meets. That way you could introduce yourself and at the same time I can give you some assistance.

I highly encourage the DIY option first. It let's you learn more about your car and the procedure itself it really simple. From the advice on the boards, sera709 was able to successfully do the job himself. If you're still stuck, you should rock up to one of the weekly meets. That way you could introduce yourself and at the same time I can give you some assistance.

If only i lived on the east coast :rolleyes:

am doing the install tomorrow and have given myself all day, any final tips?

If only i lived on the east coast :rolleyes:

am doing the install tomorrow and have given myself all day, any final tips?

one of the problems i found is trying to work out how to dismantle things like for eg the scuff plates on each opening on the doors. Because you cant see how they come off i just tried gently to pull straight off . once you take one off youll know how to take the others off.

I advise you guys to try installing it yourselves. it gives you great satisfaction when (not if) you finish it.

If i can do it anyone can.

I am willing to send anyone a personal message containing my mobile number if that helps. (I found i needed to talk to someone sometime during the installation direct instead of on the forum)

+1

I am mechanically inept however the information provided here made the job easy - from start to finish. Give it a go!

Whole job took a bit over 2 hours. Couple of places I got stuck but a quick pm to DJ saw me back on track. Thanks mate :toast:

alright then you are all officially smarter than me... The install started at approximately 3pm yesterday and i've had some issues. The JBL 3 way 6x9 speakers i bought dont quite fit but with some spacers for the rear and me attempting to make MDF cutouts today should work out fine.

After giving up on the speakers i went for the head unit. Not doing anything like this before i called in a mate to help with the reverse camera wiring as that was way beyond me...

the problems so far:

1. reverse camera is backwards (objects actually on left appear on right) and the "mirror" setup option does not seem accessible through the head unit

2. whenever i turn the car on it defaults to TV and unless i'm mistaken, there was no tv aerial supplied..

3. the ipod cable while excellent does not charge the ipod, have i done something wrong?

4. the SD card has tom tom maps and the GPS "manual" that came with the unit does not come close to what the unit screen shows me. I will play with the SD card after i write this and so you all know wheneved i load a DVD the screen that comes up says CAMRY!

THese are my little whinges so far. The bluetooth seems to work a treat and i have no problems with the microphone. Also watching a dvd is quite the experience i christened it with Transformers last night and the surround sound is awesome!!

In conclusion i have to totally agree with JIN and DJKOR regarding the self install experience, i know way more than i want to know about what my car looks like with no rear seats hehe Really hoping you can help me with the little issues above!

1. reverse camera is backwards (objects actually on left appear on right) and the "mirror" setup option does not seem accessible through the head unit

So when you go to the main menu, when you press setup, you should be able to see the mirror setting amongst the others. If you can't, I don't really know what's up. Might have something to do with my answer to 4.

2. whenever i turn the car on it defaults to TV and unless i'm mistaken, there was no tv aerial supplied..

It should default to the last setting used (except NAVI). If I leave it on DVD, it will come back to that. Same with RADIO, TV, and BLUETOOTH.

3. the ipod cable while excellent does not charge the ipod, have i done something wrong?

Sorry, haven't had much experience there. From what I remembered, my mates iPod NANO was charged from my head unit. Only ever plugged it in once though and that was the night after I got it.

4. the SD card has tom tom maps and the GPS "manual" that came with the unit does not come close to what the unit screen shows me. I will play with the SD card after i write this and so you all know wheneved i load a DVD the screen that comes up says CAMRY!

Just download the iGO8 from my previous links. From what I have heard, Tom Tom does not run on units with versions of Windows CE less than 5 (my unit has WinCE 4.2 so Tom Tom is a no go for me either). This leads me to my next point. The fact that yours says 'CAMRY' indicates that this may possibly be an old firmware revision. The later firmwares have just the Toyota logo on load. The issues you are getting may possibly be related to that.

So when you go to the main menu, when you press setup, you should be able to see the mirror setting amongst the others. If you can't, I don't really know what's up. Might have something to do with my answer to 4.

It should default to the last setting used (except NAVI). If I leave it on DVD, it will come back to that. Same with RADIO, TV, and BLUETOOTH.

Sorry, haven't had much experience there. From what I remembered, my mates iPod NANO was charged from my head unit. Only ever plugged it in once though and that was the night after I got it.

Just download the iGO8 from my previous links. From what I have heard, Tom Tom does not run on units with versions of Windows CE less than 5 (my unit has WinCE 4.2 so Tom Tom is a no go for me either). This leads me to my next point. The fact that yours says 'CAMRY' indicates that this may possibly be an old firmware revision. The later firmwares have just the Toyota logo on load. The issues you are getting may possibly be related to that.

45 minutes later and have almost downloaded IGO8 and will try it from there. With the mirror option on the head unit but i cannot select it. I can change all other setup options but that one. Maybe i should try it with the car in reverse? Any way, gonna go have another play thanks again!

I have just installed the unit on my Aurion and I have few questions.

1. The TV anntenna has 1 jack and couple more wires. I have inserted the jack into the navigation unit but what do I do with the other wires?

2. The mode button on the steering wheel changes the modes on the navigation unit but it does not turn the unit off when pressed for few seconds as it did for the stock 6cd Toyota unit.

3. I have no idea in relation to installing the reverse camera. There is a short pink wire at the back of the unit, where do I connect it to? Also, the unit came with a wire which splits into two wires with one end called camera power and reverse check up and the other ends called ground and reverse light power, where do I connect them to? Also, there is long wires which I think, one of them is the video cable and the other one splits into one blck and one red wire, where do I connect them to? I have read all the posts on the topic but still can't figure it out. PLease help!!!!.

4. I did a Touch Screen Calibration and after that I cannot press the X buttons located at the top right hand corner for any of the functions. Also I cannot press the direction buttons at the bottom to move to other menus. When I press > on the navigation screen, it just presses the menu just prior to >. Please help!!!!

Hey mate. Welcome to the forums. You should introduce yourself over here. Just out of courtesy, so you don't seem like some random just asking for answers. Anyways:

1. The TV anntenna has 1 jack and couple more wires. I have inserted the jack into the navigation unit but what do I do with the other wires?

The supplied antenna is a powered type. You connect the red wire to a +12v source (preferably switched with the ignition), and the black wire to ground. Best solution to this, just tap into your cigarette lighter power.

2. The mode button on the steering wheel changes the modes on the navigation unit but it does not turn the unit off when pressed for few seconds as it did for the stock 6cd Toyota unit.

Only way to turn this unit off is with the power button on it, or by switching the ignition off. Only so much you can expect from it.

3. I have no idea in relation to installing the reverse camera. There is a short pink wire at the back of the unit, where do I connect it to? Also, the unit came with a wire which splits into two wires with one end called camera power and reverse check up and the other ends called ground and reverse light power, where do I connect them to? Also, there is long wires which I think, one of them is the video cable and the other one splits into one blck and one red wire, where do I connect them to? I have read all the posts on the topic but still can't figure it out. PLease help!!!!.

At the back of the head unit, the pink wire connects to a source that provides +12v when the car is in reverse. I provided an answer to that question here in the same thread. You need to be a little more specific in your question as well since I am having a bit of difficulty deciphering it. When you mention red and black, I'm assuming that is what is on the camera itself? In that case, you connect that to something that receives power when the car is in reverse. Either reverse light will do the trick.

4. I did a Touch Screen Calibration and after that I cannot press the X buttons located at the top right hand corner for any of the functions. Also I cannot press the direction buttons at the bottom to move to other menus. When I press > on the navigation screen, it just presses the menu just prior to >. Please help!!!!

Seems like you performed the calibration offset. If the reset button on the front doesn't solve that, then you will need to hope that you can touch the screen with enough offset to go where you need to go.

Thanks for your reply DJKOR.

I have couple more questions.

1. I have tried to reset the unit but the calibration is still off and even if I press the outer most edge to press the direction button, it still press the menu button beside it. Any more suggestions?

2. In relation to the TV antenna, what do mean by tapping into the cigarette power? I do not know anything about electronics and how do you ground a wire?

3. In relation to the reverse camera, the pink wire at the back of the unit is too short to be connected to the harness in the passenger kick panel that leads to the reverse lights, do I need extra wires?

Do I also connect the power from the camera to the same harness in the passenger kick panel that leads to the reverse lights? and how should I ground the wires?

Thanks man

1. I have tried to reset the unit but the calibration is still off and even if I press the outer most edge to press the direction button, it still press the menu button beside it. Any more suggestions?

As far as I'm aware, the screen calibration can only be adjusted when you enter 'NAVI', then select 'Options/Settings'. In there you can enter screen calibration mode. If you can't access that, I really can't think of an alternative.

2. In relation to the TV antenna, what do mean by tapping into the cigarette power? I do not know anything about electronics and how do you ground a wire?

The way a majority of people do this is to strip the insulation back a little bit on the wires that you are 'tapping' into, then soldering the external wire to it. Another option would be to obtain a pack of 'ez-taps', which clip over the wire and require no soldering or special tools. There are many options to this, but if you don't know what you're doing, maybe best to find a mate who does so they can show you.

Grounding a wire is simply connecting the wire to the metal mass of the car. The metal frame of your car is connected to the negative terminal of the battery. Connecting to ground this way is the most simple and effective method.

3. In relation to the reverse camera, the pink wire at the back of the unit is too short to be connected to the harness in the passenger kick panel that leads to the reverse lights, do I need extra wires?

Do I also connect the power from the camera to the same harness in the passenger kick panel that leads to the reverse lights? and how should I ground the wires?

Of course you will need to extend the pink wire. I did mine using crimp connectors, but you can also just use solder to connect two lengths of wire together. Once again, if this stuff is out of your league, find a mate who can show you in person. I'm not really here to give a crash course on the basics of electrical work (only because of the whole liability thing). With the camera, you can connect it's power to the reverse light on the boot lid itself. Save on running a couple of metres of un-necessary power cable.

Thanks DJKOR for your advice.

I can picture how to go about the reverse camera installation now.

Also in regards to the touch screen calibration, Rob sent me a little program to recalibrate it and it worked wonders.

does anyone know if AUSPACK still selling this unit. I write and sms them without any reply>

I'm sure Auspacks is still up and running. How long ago did you try to contact Rob. He can sometimes take a couple of days. As well, being this time of the year, he's probably having a bit of a holiday.

does anyone know if AUSPACK still selling this unit. I write and sms them without any reply>

I'm sure Auspacks is still up and running. How long ago did you try to contact Rob. He can sometimes take a couple of days. As well, being this time of the year, he's probably having a bit of a holiday.

that was some time last week. I may try to call Rob directly... I guess it is holiday season

that was some time last week. I may try to call Rob directly... I guess it is holiday season

I bought a unit off him last week and he sent me a email yesterday so I guess Auspacks is definitly up and running.

I bought a unit off him last week and he sent me a email yesterday so I guess Auspacks is definitly up and running.

my call went through and am getting one once i am back from X'mas break. Will bother your guys again i am sure! Thanks for all the advices so far

Guys, been reading this topic with interest. I notice a couple of other options available and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about them ?

Firstly the Car Audio Warehouse unit - out of Sydney. http://www.caraudiowarehouse.com.au/catalo...products_id=308

ANyone had any experience with this unit. Comes with a 3 year replacement warranty which could be a good thing.

The other comes out of the US. It appears to be the actual Toyota unit but at a greatly reduced price (about $2500 aud landed). Any info would be appreciated

http://www.oemvalue.com/toyota2.htm

Cheers, brett

Hi mate,

i can give you some info about the unit from caraudiowarehouse,, its made by NECVOX aka punch video corp taiwan,as apposed to the auspack unit made in china,, some people maynnot know any difference,, i have had an auspack unit(you will see earlier in the post that JIN has bought it from me)and for value for money theyre very good,,, however , the nexvox is just that much better quality overall and also its got an 8" screen instead of 7",, only real tradeoff is it has NO ipod interface,, and it has no tv tuner in built. i paid $1199 for it and have just yesterday sold my aurion,, im looking at buying an ZR6 soon and so sold my at-x but not before replacing the original unit back in the car,,, if you or anyone else is interested, my unit is for sale at the moment ,JIN will vouch for my honesty in selling on here,, looking for around $750 pp ,it comes complete with everything as delivered from the factory,i'm in canberra 2602 postcode .if you want, pm me your email and ill send some photos,, not being pushy but my old auspack unit was sold to JIN within about 12 hours of it been offered on here.

cheers

FAT

Guys, been reading this topic with interest. I notice a couple of other options available and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about them ?

Firstly the Car Audio Warehouse unit - out of Sydney. http://www.caraudiowarehouse.com.au/catalo...products_id=308

ANyone had any experience with this unit. Comes with a 3 year replacement warranty which could be a good thing.

The other comes out of the US. It appears to be the actual Toyota unit but at a greatly reduced price (about $2500 aud landed). Any info would be appreciated

Cheers, brett

Hi mate,

i can give you some info about the unit from caraudiowarehouse,, its made by NECVOX aka punch video corp taiwan,as apposed to the auspack unit made in china,, some people maynnot know any difference,, i have had an auspack unit(you will see earlier in the post that JIN has bought it from me)and for value for money theyre very good,,, however , the nexvox is just that much better quality overall and also its got an 8" screen instead of 7",, only real tradeoff is it has NO ipod interface,, and it has no tv tuner in built. i paid $1199 for it and have just yesterday sold my aurion,, im looking at buying an ZR6 soon and so sold my at-x but not before replacing the original unit back in the car,,, if you or anyone else is interested, my unit is for sale at the moment ,JIN will vouch for my honesty in selling on here,, looking for around $750 pp ,it comes complete with everything as delivered from the factory,i'm in canberra 2602 postcode .if you want, pm me your email and ill send some photos,, not being pushy but my old auspack unit was sold to JIN within about 12 hours of it been offered on here.

cheers

FAT

Cheers, brett

Yeah. I bought mine from fatsatman and it was real good deal.

I am still so happy with the unit and thanks to fatsatman.

Again, he's offering another great deal too!

I got the package in secure, nothing is damaged and including whole thing I needed for the installation.

I can guarantee if someone buy it from him, it's a good deal.

I just wich if I could get this another unit from him. hehe.

BTW, I am sorry to hear that you sold your aurion, fatsatman.

You going to get ZR6 soon?

Just wondering, why are you selling this unit? You may install it when you get your new aurion is delivered.

Anyways, Thanks again, fatsatman.