for those who intrested to upgrade the brake system

After putting up with the terrible stock rotors for newly 3 years, i finally replaced it with dba slotted disc and feredo premium pad. The total cost is around $520 fitted. I sourced all the parts my self and i get my neighbour who is the machanic to put in on for me ( he charged me $50 but i gave him a bit extra. Without his help, i would have completely stuck!!).I bought the DBA slotted disc from supercheap auto for $179 each and the feredo pads from Veale automotive. The young man from the veale parts shop said he can get me feredo excel pad with part no: DB1714 for 60 bucks a pair which is quite fair price.to me. Not untill then, my mechanic said the brake pad is wrong size. It was completely different from the stock size. Then i went to repco and supercheap with my stock brake pad hoping they can find something in different brand but same size. All of them said SORRY ' NOT IN STOCK". Then i went back to my neighbour house again to ask him where is the next stop for me so that i can get the brake pad is going to suit my car. He took out his Bosch brake pad book started looking every toyota model and compare the actual size of the pad at the back of the book with my stock brake pad size. He finally managed to come out with part no: 1431( if not mistaken) or FDB 1528( 100% sure) which is listed under toyota "verso". The previous saleman that i been thru they all looked under " toyota sportivo 2zze123 moder or toyota celica model which will give you the part of 1422 or 1714 or 1425 which are completely wrong. With FDB 1528, is 100% fit and 100% same size as the stock one. The Feredo premium pad that i got just now is surprisingly MADE IN THE USA :yahoo: and feredo excel that i bought before hand is MADE IN THAILAND. :whistling:

For those who is seeking for same size pad as the stock one, part no: FDB 1528 is the way to go. You will never go wrong with this.

I just want to share my experice with you guys who might have some problems seeking the same size brake pad as the stock one

Thank you. THE END

1431 is the bendix part number for the pads that fits the sportivo

What u could have also got him to do is get the ferodo ds2500's ...... i got these as my first brake upagrade and since at the time DS2500's werent available for the sportivo they cut out of a larger pad to suit 1431's.

With the DBA slotted discs are they the 4000 series made for the celica (DBA4562) and u needed to get them re-drilled or simply the corolla ones DBA759 ?

i found the DBA4562's & DS2500 pads were an awesome combination ..... let us know how urs go.

One of the most useful upgrades to do on a stivo, well done. I have front DBA slotted and rear RDA slotted since 2004.

Useful tools and websites are: -

http://www.dba.com.au/product_search_dev.php

http://www.rdabrakes.com.au/

Note that ZZE122 and ZZE123 front brake diameters are different for those that wish to upgrade. The rears are the same.

For ZZE122 - Part Number: DBA 712, Street Series, Standard, Australia Only, Vented, Front.

For ZZE122 - Part Number: DBA 712SL, Street Series, Slotted Left-Hand, Australia Only, Vented, Front.

For ZZE122 - Part Number: DBA 712SR, Street Series, Slotted Right-Hand, Australia Only, Vented, Front.

For ZZE122 and ZZE123 (including 123R) - Part Number: DBA 713, Street Series, Standard, Australia Only, Solid, Rear.

For ZZE122 and ZZE123 (including 123R) - Part Number: DBA 713SL, Street Series, Slotted Left-Hand, Australia Only, Solid, Rear.

For ZZE122 and ZZE123 (including 123R) - Part Number: DBA 713SR, Street Series, Slotted Right-Hand, Australia Only, Solid, Rear.

For ZZE123 (including 123R) - Part Number: DBA 759, Street Series, Standard, Australia Only, Vented, Front.

For ZZE123 (including 123R) - Part Number: DBA 759SL, Street Series, Slotted Left-Hand, Australia Only, Vented, Front.

For ZZE123 (including 123R) - Part Number: DBA 759SR, Street Series, Slotted Right-Hand, Australia Only, Vented, Front.

For ZZE122 and ZZE123 (including 123R) - Part Number: RDA7780S - RDA Rear Slotted Rotors.

Edited by omn1potent

heyy guys,

im thinking of getting DBA slotted rotors for the front pair on my 1zz because they need to be machined but also to improve braking performance.. my question is, would replacing all four rotors be an overkill or is it economic to replace everything in the one go... its mainly for city driving but with some track sprints in mind for later testing

FYI, im looking to pair the slotted rotors with Bendix GCT pads...

appreciate any input

cheers

Unless your rear brake rotors are worn out I wouldn't bother replacing them. They do very little in the way of slowing the car down. Just put decent pads in.

I can't find any specs on the pads you listed Yuro, but I'll take a stab in the dark and say they wont be up to scratch on a race track. Street would be fine however.

Unless your rear brake rotors are worn out I wouldn't bother replacing them. They do very little in the way of slowing the car down. Just put decent pads in.

I can't find any specs on the pads you listed Yuro, but I'll take a stab in the dark and say they wont be up to scratch on a race track. Street would be fine however.

the wheel hub is all corroded and rear discs have spots of rust coming thru, hence the need to get all four machined... which ive been quoted at costs somewhere from $50-$80... DBA slotted rotors arent that much more of a difference, so i might aswell bite the bullet and upgrade them instead...

as for the pads, im not planning on tracking my rolla every weekend, just for when we have that rare TOCAU track day (heres hoping :whistling: ) but for street use, its more than enough

and yeah, thanks for the reply 'SuperDave, please keep them coming :)

apologies for hijacking the thread btw

the wheel hub is all corroded and rear discs have spots of rust coming thru, hence the need to get all four machined... which ive been quoted at costs somewhere from $50-$80... DBA slotted rotors arent that much more of a difference, so i might aswell bite the bullet and upgrade them instead...

How do you mean "spots of rust"? Rust on the rear hubs is normal, it only becomes an issue when the rust starts to flake. Pictures?

as for the pads, im not planning on tracking my rolla every weekend, just for when we have that rare TOCAU track day (heres hoping :whistling: ) but for street use, its more than enough

Have a look through this thread, http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=10160. For the track you will need something that is rated for 500*C+. If doing hill climbs you want high coefficient of friction at a low temperature. I can't really say one brand is better than another as I have barely scratched the surface in the pads I have used out of that list.

are the new brake rotors a big difference?? i find that the standard rotors are fine.. does it stop quicker or is it just good for when u constantly braking so it cools down quicker n better??

are the new brake rotors a big difference?? i find that the standard rotors are fine.. does it stop quicker or is it just good for when u constantly braking so it cools down quicker n better??

Slots are used to resurface the pad. It will remove any glazing that forms on the pad surface due to heat, the down side is the pad wears faster.

just incase u guys dont have sportivo's but would like to up grade the bolt straight up disc n caliper so like i said if u dont already have a sportivo but would like to have the brakes u can to save money i suggest going to a wreakers if u cant fint the calipers of a sportivo corolla a celica will fitt to i have celica st184 calipers on my car (ae102) 2mm spacer between disc n hub n sportivo sloted rotors

There isnt anything wrong with the standard rotors, the problem is the terrible pads that toyota put in that eat the rotor to shreads. num num num.

Just change the pads and have the rotors machined, you'll be laughing. num num num.

are you guys talking bout the south african corollas (check 1st 3 letters of vin if start AHT you do) if you do aftermarket rotors n toyota have releast a revised pad

Yes everyone is talking about the Sportivo, South African built with a 2ZZ-GE and a build plate of AHT54ZEC#########

I believe the new pad was in for the facelift rolla sportivo (05+). But the Endless pads I bought off SD are 150% better

EDIT Yuro was talking about ZZE-122 brakes, my bad

How do you mean "spots of rust"? Rust on the rear hubs is normal, it only becomes an issue when the rust starts to flake. Pictures?

Have a look through this thread, http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=10160. For the track you will need something that is rated for 500*C+. If doing hill climbs you want high coefficient of friction at a low temperature. I can't really say one brand is better than another as I have barely scratched the surface in the pads I have used out of that list.

If there are just small spots of rust, use the brakes harder, or just hit the hub and rotor with brake cleaner and a wire brush to clean them up. Only need to be machined if the surface is uneven.

heyy guys,

im thinking of getting DBA slotted rotors for the front pair on my 1zz because they need to be machined but also to improve braking performance.. my question is, would replacing all four rotors be an overkill or is it economic to replace everything in the one go... its mainly for city driving but with some track sprints in mind for later testing

FYI, im looking to pair the slotted rotors with Bendix GCT pads...

appreciate any input

cheers

Since our car is front wheel drive, i think replacing the front disc with slotted one is good enough. The one that i am using one is very good. Slotted disc plus good brake pad definately will keep you happy. My package definately gives me good stopping power and the thing is No squicking noise at all'. That is my opinion anyway

The main reason i replaced the old one with slotted disc is simply bcoz i have had skim the rotor twice and i cant see any point at all to skim the disc again which is only going to last me probably at the max of 1-2 years. When my mechanic tried to do few hard application, you can actually see the smoke coming out from the disc. I did tried to touch the rotor and didnt seems that hot at all compared to my stock one. I remember he rev the car to 80k then he hit the brake hard and i can fell the car slow down very quickly and smoothly with any vibration on my steering. I hope this explation will give you some idea about the performance of the slotted disc

as you can see, i forgot to mention that its 'severe spots of rust/corrosion... this is evident on all four brake discs

Exhibit A:

DSC00807.jpg

Exhibit B:

DSC00808.jpg