Obama will:

Never gonna give you up

Never gonna let you down

Never gonna run around and desert you

Never gonna make you cry

Never gonna say goodbye

Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

You wouldnt get this from any other President

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

Obama had to win.. McCain looked like another BUSH and we do not need that after what we've seen :)

OBAMA FTW

PS: McCain kinda reminds me of that frozen food brand...

They werent low in August and thats because Rudd implemented the "Tightening" Monetary Policy because of our high inflation - which means that the RBA sold securities back to the govt. which meant there wasnt alot of borrowing money in the banks which meant interest rates went up buddy :) i didnt get 20/20 for nothing.

There was only a interest rate cut recently to increase confidence, making people borrow, increasing national savings (Thats what Rudd has done :) )

The RBA doesnt control these policies, they work in conjunction with the government !

Interest rates at the moment are 6% - yes it was originally 7%

Inflation is 5% - its suppose to be 2-3%

:lol:

Ok lets see...

Interest rates are currently 5.25% - they were dropped a further 0.75% yesterday. Originally 7%? I assume you mean that the many raises of the cash rate that were implemented whilst Rudd was in power meant that the peak interest rate was 7%.

Yes Inflation is currently 5%, but I have no idea about what you mean when you say its supposed to be 2-3%. How do you figure that?

I also dont see how people borrowing more increases national savings... thats illogical.

I do agree that the interest rates needed to be cut to encourage spending to boost the economy. What I dont agree with, and where I think Rudd, Swan, and the RBA have all failed is the agressiveness that they have used with the economy. 6 months ago we were all told by the government that we needed to curb our spending, hence why interest rates were raised by a quarter of a percent several times. The world economy since then has fallen, thats quite obvious to anyone. The rates coming down was a right move, but by 1.75% in less than a month? thats quite drastic. We wouldnt be in this situation if we had not acted drastically and raised the cash rate so many times.

anyway, this thread is about Obama. back to original topic. Woo good win sir!

Only on these forums would you make a thread on the US election, and have it turn into a debate over the Australian Government.

My bad sir *tips hat* Long time no talk - How have you been?

no idea why i am happy he won.. to be honest im pretty ignorant when it comes to knowing about how this would effect our lives here in suburban australia.. half a world away from an election in which none of us would be able to vote in since we are aussies.. but i feel a lot better than i did during the last 2 elections when george W won.

i was arguing with some americans while playing texas hold em on facebook 2night... bunch of racists not happy with the election. just because hes black or his dad is kenyan or he wasnt born in the US so he shouldnt be president (someone said he refuses to show his birth certificate for public viewing - cos he was born kenyan, therefore people born outside US cant run for president) or that he WILL be assassinated... crazy talk.

no idea why i am happy he won.. to be honest im pretty ignorant when it comes to knowing about how this would effect our lives here in suburban australia.. half a world away from an election in which none of us would be able to vote in since we are aussies.. but i feel a lot better than i did during the last 2 elections when george W won.

i was arguing with some americans while playing texas hold em on facebook 2night... bunch of racists not happy with the election. just because hes black or his dad is kenyan or he wasnt born in the US so he shouldnt be president (someone said he refuses to show his birth certificate for public viewing - cos he was born kenyan, therefore people born outside US cant run for president) or that he WILL be assassinated... crazy talk.

I'm not really surprised.

A mate of mine (albeit Caucasian) went to the US as a university exchange student for 6 months. He said (without generalising, because I'm sure there are some nice ones) Americans are a bunch of racist, stuck up pricks. My mate is pretty tall and athletic, blonde hair blue eyes. You'd think he's blend right in. Nup. Due to the fact that he was new to the classes, he said nearly everyone gave him evil stares. That is until he opened his mouth and his Australian accent kicked in, then the girls start to swamp (which I thought was fu*king hilarious) but the guys were still dip sh!ts. They make it to the point where they will try outcast you however they can, just because you may look different, dress different or simply different (from the typical yanky jock).

He also noted that a lot of people who weren't white in appearance were given a lot of crap too, ranging from name calling to physical bullying. It is quite a sad fact, as I had contemplated going there for a year too. Moreover, there is a massive case of "hang only with your race". In Australia, yes there tends to be that idea as well, but generally people do mix and match in the end whether they are black/white/yellow/red/brown/whatever.

Hence I'm glad Obama won, as it'll slam the huge egos of these Americans, open up their little narrow minds and make them realise there is more to the world than just United States.

Edited by Jaaassseeee

They werent low in August and thats because Rudd implemented the "Tightening" Monetary Policy because of our high inflation - which means that the RBA sold securities back to the govt. which meant there wasnt alot of borrowing money in the banks which meant interest rates went up buddy :) i didnt get 20/20 for nothing.

There was only a interest rate cut recently to increase confidence, making people borrow, increasing national savings (Thats what Rudd has done :) )

The RBA doesnt control these policies, they work in conjunction with the government !

Interest rates at the moment are 6% - yes it was originally 7%

Inflation is 5% - its suppose to be 2-3%

Yes Inflation is currently 5%, but I have no idea about what you mean when you say its supposed to be 2-3%. How do you figure that?

I also dont see how people borrowing more increases national savings... thats illogical.

I do agree that the interest rates needed to be cut to encourage spending to boost the economy. What I dont agree with, and where I think Rudd, Swan, and the RBA have all failed is the agressiveness that they have used with the economy. 6 months ago we were all told by the government that we needed to curb our spending, hence why interest rates were raised by a quarter of a percent several times. The world economy since then has fallen, thats quite obvious to anyone. The rates coming down was a right move, but by 1.75% in less than a month? thats quite drastic. We wouldnt be in this situation if we had not acted drastically and raised the cash rate so many times.

anyway, this thread is about Obama. back to original topic. Woo good win sir!

the RBA inflation target is 2-3% (which means the economy will do well and stabilise when it is that percentage - meaning its a healthy inflation rate)

By Rudd decreasing the interest rates recently, it means households save on their grocerys/petrol/whatever

But interest rates shouldnt be cut since inflation rate is still high and a big problem if u want to see ur kids survive - inflation is high because of too much spending in the economy which meant the economy was booming to quickly that in future it would cause problems with the country. Which is why interest rates are high.

Ps. Glenn Stevens is RBA (governor of RBA) and they havent failed because they implemented the policies to decrease inflation but these policies (Monetary and Fiscal Policy) have time-lags so you might not be able to see a change in the inflation rate until later, but these policies are good to help stabilise the economy - and i think we used fiscal and monetary policy like ages ago during the asia crisis (i think, cant remember when exactly LOL but we used it before !)

:) theres what i learnt in 2years all summed up HAHA

Edited by mrs.sportivo

Long time no see, oh how I've missed you all - well not all of you....

A little birdy told me to come back here and read for a laugh, and this what I find!

There was only a interest rate cut recently to increase confidence, making people borrow, increasing national savings (Thats what Rudd has done smile.gif )

As Tats (and micky-tee for that matter) pointed out, this is a huge contradiction mrs.sportivo! An interest cut does not increase national savings - and an increase in borrowing is, in essence, an increase in spending. An interest rate cut is an INFLATIONARY measure - people end up with more money in their pockets, therefore representing a shift in demand...therefore driving overall prices up... *drumroll* price inflation!

the RBA inflation target is 2-3% (which means the economy will do well and stabilise when it is that percentage - meaning its a healthy inflation rate)

... inflation is high because of too much spending in the economy which meant the economy was booming to quickly that in future it would cause problems with the country. Which is why interest rates are high.

We all know that 3% is the RBA target, but please tell me why 2-3 is healthy, and 5 is not....

If wage level inflation is able to keep up somewhat with the rate of commodity price inflation, then 5% isnt a problem. Before the current financial crisis, Australia was experiencing its lowest supply of workers in recent history. What do you do to attract more workers? Wages go up! So had the current crisis not rocked up, there is no reason why Australia couldnt havent sustained the present level of inflation for a while to come... (although I will concede, 3% is the better number in respect to inflation in other global markets)

Inflation is high because of too much spending? Clap, you got that right. But who was spending? The people who COULDNT AFFORD TO to start with! People taking out their loans for their big houses and plasma TV's. Now the financial markets are in trouble, and you want to blame the Howard Government for the fact that people cant manage their own finances?

But what is Rudd's answer? Increase the baby bonus and and the first home owners grant. So while we are supposed to be tackling his "inflation problem", he is in fact just giving people more money - WHICH IS INFLATIONARY!! Then he wants to restore confidence in the market - so to prevent people from taking their money out of the financial sector, he freezes their accounts and tells them to go to centrelink!!!

So all up - he gives people more money, doesn't restore any confidence in the financial sector, and does this all in a time when the RBA is dropping interest rates; meaning that people have been given money that they will make less return on than before. Not exactly inflation reducing measures...

Your beloved Rudd is f***king this economy more in his first term than eyebrows man ever did in four.

:) theres what i learnt in 2years all summed up HAHA

Apparently not a great deal, lolololzzzkekeke...

PS - *TIPS HAT TO OBAMA*

I think too much credit is given to the American people generally speaking.

Obama won over McCain because he is a much more charismatic speaker. Their respective policies did not differ that much.

I consider many (read: not all) people in the US to be quite superficial, and are very concerned about how they are viewed by the international community.

please note though: as far as the Obama vs McCain debate goes - I don't really care. I've always considered elections to be a selection of the lesser of two evils.

Sounds like an election that was held closer to home, hmm?

I think too much credit is given to the American people generally speaking.

Obama won over McCain because he is a much more charismatic speaker. Their respective policies did not differ that much.

I consider many (read: not all) people in the US to be quite superficial, and are very concerned about how they are viewed by the international community.

please note though: as far as the Obama vs McCain debate goes - I don't really care. I've always considered elections to be a selection of the lesser of two evils.

Sounds like an election that was held closer to home, hmm?

Hmm... the idea that people are concerned about their standing in the international community doesn't hold true for the recent elections in either the USA or Australia.

1. If the yanks were so concerned, why did they reelect Dubya?

2. Same for Australia - why elect Rudd when he had the potential to kill the american alliance by withdrawing our troops (good or bad as that may be), and Garrett was gonna yell at the Japanese for whaling? And have you heard Julia Gillard talk?? She doesnt help get rid of the Crocodile Dundee/ Russell Crowe's ''Fightin round the world'' stereotype...