Interior light and reading light

CME-LFT

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know what size are the reading lamp/globes and the interior dome light/globes in corolla sportivo pre-facelift? i popped the covers off but would have no idea on how to measure them. Seeing as i want to buy led replacements off ebay or similar they have stuff like, 38mm or 41mm for the dome light n so on. I looked in the manual and all it states is wedge based globe and such which really doesnt tell me much.

Thanks

For map reading lights, the common one you will find is a T10 5W bulb shown below. I would be pretty surprised if Toyota weren't using this as your reading lamp. If in the manual it states 'wedge bulb' and this is for an interior lamp, then T10 would be the size your after.

t10ui1.jpg

For the dome light, your common bulb type is the festoon. To find the right one, you just measure the length of the bulb. Attached is a diagram of a 31mm festoon bulb which should be what your dome light uses. Someone else needs to confirm this though. I mean, my Aurion came with a 31mm festoon originally. That would be pretty slack of Toyota if they put a larger/brighter bulb in a smaller car.

festoonxy7.gif

For the dome light, your common bulb type is the festoon. To find the right one, you just measure the length of the bulb. Attached is a diagram of a 31mm festoon bulb which should be what your dome light uses. Someone else needs to confirm this though. I mean, my Aurion came with a 31mm festoon originally. That would be pretty slack of Toyota if they put a larger/brighter bulb in a smaller car.

festoonxy7.gif

confirmed.. the dome light is indeed a 31mm Festoon bulb.. im pretty certain ALL Pre-facelifts (incl. S'tivos) would all have the same lighting sockets/bulbs.. but someone please confirm this :help:

as for the map/interior lights, they are not the same W5W a.k.a T10 bulbs (which are also found on side parker lights, license plate bulbs for example)

:idea: IMHO, the dome lights are not worth changing to a different colour.. the OEM bulbs light up the interior bright enough and since i changed the bulbs in my 'rolla to an Arctic Blue colour, i find it hard to read when i do need to use it... not sure if LEDs would make a difference tho... again someone please confirm this

edit: photos uploaded

Festoon 31mm

DSC00812.jpg

DSC00809.jpg

DSC00810.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

Map/Interior light

Thanks for your help guys. I dont even use my dome light or reading lamps cause i dont want people looking into the car when i get out ( i know i seem a lil paranoid.lol), its more of a rice factor thing, i want a red led/globe so it matches my interior.lolz

But i took a photo of the reading lamps anyway, hopefully that helps.

As for talking about the licence plate bulbs, i cant figure out how to change it due to me having a try the other day and finding a peice of metal bar in behind one of those plastic pull out bits on the boots rear cover. right side is all clear, left sides got something in the way.

post-6799-1225964573_thumb.jpg

The numberplate lights are a pain to change - Word of warning, Drop a bulb and you need to strip the boot trim to get it back.

If you didnt have to much hassle changing your front parkers, changing the number plate lights will be a breeze - It takes me 30mins to change the parkers because my hands get stuck LOL.

Number plate lights

1. Remove the two plastic covers

2. Put your hand up the to the light holder - 90 degree type holder.

3. Twist it towards your self

4. carefully pull it out of the hole.

5. Bring the globe and holder out of the boot trim - Wiring is long enough to reach

6. Replace bulb - Test before putting in due to LED's having to be the correct facing

Best bulbs to use are T10 SMD. Normal led don't last half as long

I might of got a few steps wrong, this is going from memory :)

for sedans, the license plate bulbs are easy to replace..the socket is right there inside the boot lid..

btw, can you see where the screw driver marks are located on the interior lights, from trying to pry open the thing? :P

Is it possible to install a neon to these lights?

I tried with an old neon i had found in my garage thats 15 cm long with wires stripped and when i put both possitive and negative lines on the neon dont fire up. The neon doesnt have any cracks or what not in them.

Best bulbs to use are T10 SMD. Normal led don't last half as long

I agree that SMD's are better

BUT I disagree that normal LED do not last, I've had mine for almost 18 months or longer on my licence plate, 12 months plus plus for parkers and they are still going strong, no sign of dying..

I replaced my interior light with a "6x SMD LED 31mm Festoon" bulb. It's HEAPS bright.. I find that for interior lights, a "warm white" illuminates much better then a "xenon white".

You can grab them on eBay.. =P

• 3 weeks later...
I replaced my interior light with a "6x SMD LED 31mm Festoon" bulb. It's HEAPS bright.. I find that for interior lights, a "warm white" illuminates much better then a "xenon white".

I havent checked my interior light yet, I leave my map lights as they are but do you know if red is available for interior?

I havent checked my interior light yet, I leave my map lights as they are but do you know if red is available for interior?

Sure there are, but these aren't SMD LEDs, just normal LEDs.

clicky (6 LEDs)

and..

clicky (9 LEDs).

Both are 31mm festoon bulbs. =)

From my own experience, normal LED ones are bright at the top, but they don't seem to illuminate the car cabin very well. SMD LED's do a much better job at it (and is even better than the filament bulb).

• 2 years later...

hey guys..I am interested in changing my interior dome light into an LED white one. I have learnt from your above posts that 31mm should be the bulb for the job..found two different bulbs on ebay and I want you guys to have a look at these and tell me which one you thihnk would be better..the 12 LED SMD one or the 48 LED panel..just want one that is the brightest..i have attached the 2 pics..

Another thing I wanted to ask you guys if you dont mind, whats the type of bulb on those door lights? the courtesy door lights if i am not wrong?

Cheers

post-15356-0-22748900-1294638562_thumb.j

post-15356-0-37988000-1294638569_thumb.j

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The size of the light is quite large. How are you going to fit the light inside the bulb cover?

Unless you going to stick it outside on top of the light cover.

Just bought one of these for the boot. http://cgi.ebay.com....e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Will see how it performances later.

It's for the boot.