Car Detailing Tips

DaveXR8

Ive pulled this link from another website for you guys and girls to see. It shows you what damages are caused from different types of car washes.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=PZjWkB_q2lE

Only trust yourself I say when it comes to cleaning your car!

Cheers :D

Dave

Spot on, Dave, especially when it comes to letting your significant other wash the car! And avoid car washes.

In recent months, I've been using an Eagle 1 product called Wax as U Dry and find it does a first-rate job. The car - an Avalon - had been previously paint-protected but, for my money, this product matches both protection products.

My car - a pre-Christmas assembly - was almost impossible to dry when new and scratched easily. Washing left dirty-water marks on the surface; knowing what I know now, I should have taken it straight back to the dealer, for correction. And I found it essential to use Scratch and Swirl Remover after every wash. Having it paint-protected x2 helped a little, but the surface still had to be handled with kid gloves, using towels for both washing and drying-off.

Before you throw rocks at me, I bought and "ran-in" car cleaning gear, before delivery.

I find that. as WAYD contains drying agents and wax, scratching is minimised and the shine is great!

Anybody else used this product?

CHEERS

NOEL GORDON

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple other popular Wax as you Dry products are Optimum Car wax (OCW) and Prima Hydro.

I highly recomend using these or a Quick detail spray after your wash coz both have some sealing/protecting agents and it also adds extra depth and slickness to th paint. It will decrease the amount of static aswell so dust wont stick to the car as much.

Do you know what brand paint protection was applied to your car Noel?

and are you using microfibre towels to dry your car? Normal towels and even chamois can scratch the paint while drying.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Claying your car

In our harsh environment our cars get hammered with various types of contaminants. These contaminants range from industrial fallout, iron filings, tree sap, bird droppings, over spray and water spots.

As these contaminants build it it causes our paint to feel rough and look dull.

This is where claying your vehicle comes into play.

Claying your vehicle will help remove these contaminants and leave your cars surface feeling smooth and looking more glossy.

I myself use either the Bilt-Hamber Auto Clay or the Clay Magic Blue. The Clay Magic is a softer grade clay which is best used on soft paint finishes such as Honda's and most japanese made vehicles.

BHAutoclay.jpgClayMagicBlue.gif

How to Clay:

Wash and rinse your car properly first.

Use a Quick detail spray or even the car wash solution as the clay lubricant.

Spray a small area generously with the lubricant.

Flatten out clay and place on surface.

Without any downwards pressure, glide the clay bar side to side over the panel. If your car is heavily contaminated you will be able to hear and feel the clay run over the contaminants. Keep repeating till surface feels nice and smooth(make sure to keep area lubricated). Then repeat till whole car is done and give the car another wash.

Make sure you knead the clay regularly so theres always a fresh surface.

DSC02716.jpg

DSC02972.jpg

Contaminants falls all over the car not just the paint so I recommend claying the windows, wheels and exterior trims. This will guarantee the whole car is smooth and that any polish, wheel wax and plastic treatments applied will bond to the surface properly.

Thanks for reading :cool:

Dave

What do you think of those teflon paint protection treatment stuff they sell you when you buy a new car?

[edit] When do you use products like the Maguires Final Inspection or we dont?

Edited by STYLSH

What do you think of those teflon paint protection treatment stuff they sell you when you buy a new car?

[edit] When do you use products like the Maguires Final Inspection or we dont?

First of all, the price dealerships charge for paint protection is way way over the top.

I have never actually applied or used teflon based paint protections but I have heard from other detailers that it does provide a nice hard layer of protection but it is not flexible. What this means is that when panels warp from change of temperature, the teflon protections bond to the paint gets weak and can cause it to flake off.

I myself use Toughseal which is an Acrylic sealant will provide upto 5 years protection and is designed for Australian conditions.

Let me know if you would like more info on this.

Now Meguiars Final inspection is a Quick Detailer. So this can be used to clean off fresh contamianants like tree sap and bird poo. You can use this after a wash to enhance the gloss of your paint and provide light temporary protection. I like to use a quick detailer every second week or so after a wash.

Cheers

Dave

When do you use products like the Maguires Final Inspection or we dont?

Whenever you can baby. As Davie boy said, before (providing its just light dust, not mud) or after a wash.

Meguiar's mirror glaze final inspection is uber, however the formula has been around as long as the Meguiar's classic range of Quik Detailer (the bottle that comes with a Clay Kit)

if you want something more up to date, with superior water beading and high gloss results, go and get yourself some uber uber Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detail!

when u apply this quik detailing solution, do it with love and passion, and go over it twice. leave it for a 24hr cure time and your car will be sooo glossy and bead water like freshly applied wax, and then some.

heres a vid of how u can achieve such awesomeness

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/the-toni...iler/2938217034

thanks for the tips guys have just used the ulimate quick detailer and wow it did bring up the paint. What do you recommend to bring up White wheels thanks

You can use AIO's to clean and protect wheels.

Make sure you give them a good clean in they are caked with brake dust. If the white has gone abit off colour, use a medium abrasive polish to bring the colour back and protect it with a sealant or wheel wax.

Heres a couple that i use:

- Driven Auto Polish

-Prima wheel Armour

Ive even used Zaino AIO on painted wheels.

Cheers :D

Dave

thanks can we get those products from you ? the wheels are ok at the moment just like to keep them that way.

Yep.

Ive got the Prima Wheel Armour in stock atm and just waiting on the Driven gear to arrive in about a week or so.

Cheers :)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Ive done up a Car car maintenance and procedures document which I have been giving to the owners of cars which I have recently worked on.

I though it'd be a good idea to post it up so the members can have a better idea of whats involved in car care.

I have not gone too much in detail with compounding and polishing as it ca get a bit confusing in writing and secondly it doesnt fit on an A4 page when printed.

Here it goes....

Enclosed are some helpful tips and correct procedures that you can follow to ensure that your cars protection and finish will give you long term results.

Correct Washing Methods

*Note- It is not recommended that the vehicle is washed using a brush system as this will cause major damage to the vehicles paint by inducing swirls and scratches. If you need to use a self serve car wash then it is highly recommended that you bring your own bucket/s, mitt and solution.

1. Wash your vehicle in a well shaded area away from dust and trees. If you do not have any shelter then wash your vehicle when the temperature is cooler such as early in the morning or late afternoon.

2. Using the 2 bucket method, mix up one bucket with your favourite car shampoo and fill the other with just plain water.

3. Hose off the vehicle to loosen up any dirt or contaminants.

4. Using a lambs wool or microfibre wash mitt, dunk the mitt into the car wash solution and begin to wash vehicle from the top down. Make sure that the mitt is rinsed off after each panel in the bucket of plain water. This will ensure that no dirt is trapped in the mitt which can cause swirling and scratches to the vehicle.

5. Use a different mitt or sponge to clean the wheels.

6. Once the whole vehicle has been washed with the solution and mitt, Rinse off from top to bottom. This ensures that all the foam and dirt runs off the vehicle.

7. Use a large Microfibre waffle weave towel to dry the vehicle from the top down. Move the towel in a side to side motion as this will minimise the chances of inducing any swirls and scratches.

8. Use a separate smaller waffle weave towel or chamois to dry wheels and door jambs.

Cleaning with Quick Detailers

Quick detailers are formulated with polymer cleaning agents which help remove fresh surface contaminants without the need for water or shampoo.

Fresh contaminants such as tree sap, bird droppings, bug residue and light dust can be removed by doing the following.

1. Spray the surface/contaminant with the Quick Detailer and let it penetrate for a few seconds.

2. Using a microfibre towel, wipe off the contaminant until it is fully removed.

3. Spray the cleaned area again with the QD and buff to a shine with a different microfibre towel.

Quick detailers also provide temporary protection. That is why it is recommended that it is applied to the surface once it has been cleaned.

Interior Fabric and leather Cleaning/Maintenance

*Note- It is not recommended that solvent based products are used to clean the interior fabric, vinyl or leather of your vehicle as solvents can break down and dry out the material it is applied to thus reducing any protection which has been applied to it.

1. Vacuum the interior fabric and carpets regularly making sure you get in-between the stitchings and folds.

2. Leather and vinyl should be wiped down regularly with a damp warm microfibre towel.

3. If any stains or spills occur on fabric or leather then it should be soaked then dried with a microfibre towel. Mild steam cleaning is recommended for stubborn stains.

De-waxing Driven Multi-surface Cleaner (MSC)

Recommended every 6-12 months.

Ensure that vehicle is clean and not in direct sunlight. While car is wet, spray diluted MSC onto vehicle and allow to sit for a few minutes. Wash with mitt and car wash solution then dry.

Oxidation & Contaminant Removal Bilt-Hamber Auto Clay -Clay magic Blue

Recommended every 2-3 months depending on exposure to contaminants.

Make sure vehicle is clean. Work a 2x2ft area at a time. Use car wash solution or quick detailer as a lubricant and mist it onto surface. Place clay on lubricated area and without any pressure sweep it in a side to side motion until surface feels smooth. Check and knead clay after each panel(more often if surface is highly contaminated). Remember to keep surface lubricated so clay doesn’t marr the paint.

Severe paint defects, oxidation & fading(Compounding) -Prima Cut

Recommended for machine application only and requires a second step with a lighter abrasive polish. Use with wool or LC foam cutting pad.

Call for further instructions

Swirls & scratches (medium abrasive) -Prima Swirl -Driven Finish Restorer

Recommended for hand and machine application.

By hand Recommended for use with LC Orange or White/gold hand pad. Work product in a 2x2ft area until desired results are reached or until product is broken down. Wipe off residue with m/f towel.

By machine Recommended for use with LC orange, green or white pad. Call for further instructions.

Finishing polish/ Paint cleaner -Prima Finish (light abrasive) - Prima Amigo (glaze)

Prima finish- removes fine paint imperfections and hazing. Suited for softer paints.

By hand Recommended for use with LC white/gold hand pad. Work product in a 2x2ft area until desired results are reach or until product is broken down. Wipe off residue with m/f towel.

By machine Recommended for use with LC white or grey pad. Call for further instructions

Prima Amigo- Fills in light surface imperfections and cleans the remains of other prep steps.

By hand Apply to vehicle using LC white/gold hand pad working a 2x2ft area at a time. Buff off residue with m/f towel.

By machine recommended for use with LC Grey pad. Call for further instructions.

Sealants & waxes -Prima Epic-Prima -Banana Gloss -P21s Carnauba -Driven Auto polish

By hand Recommended to apply with LC white/gold hand pad. Allow to haze for specified amount of time(stated on bottle) and buff off residue with m/f towel.

By machine Recommended to apply with LC Red pad and random orbital (RO). Buff off residue with m/f towel. Call for further instructions.

Spray waxes & Quick Detailers -Prima Hydro -Prima Slick -Driven Quick spray

Ensure that vehicle is clean and free of contaminants.

Spray/mist product on to surface and buff with a plush m/f towel. Repeat for extra gloss and slickness.

Interior leather & vinyl -Prima Nero -Driven VRL protectant

Apply product using a foam applicator pad. Work product until it’s broken down or disappears. Wipe off any residue with a m/f towel.

Edited by DaveXR8

• 3 weeks later...

After doing a full detail and applying a protector to the surface, such as a wax, what is the best way to wash the car? I would be looking to wash the car every 2-3 weeks, but only do a complete detail every 3 or 6 months? I currently used Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo at the moment, but will that remove the wax?

After doing a full detail and applying a protector to the surface, such as a wax, what is the best way to wash the car? I would be looking to wash the car every 2-3 weeks, but only do a complete detail every 3 or 6 months? I currently used Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo at the moment, but will that remove the wax?

That should be safe to use without stripping off any wax.

Make sure you use the 2 bucket method. This will minimise the chances of inducing any swirls or scratches on the paint.

Also, get yourself some spray wax. If you are washing your car every 3 weeks, apply the spray wax after your wash. This will give you added protection and extra depth and slickness.

Cheers

Dave

That should be safe to use without stripping off any wax.

Make sure you use the 2 bucket method. This will minimise the chances of inducing any swirls or scratches on the paint.

Also, get yourself some spray wax. If you are washing your car every 3 weeks, apply the spray wax after your wash. This will give you added protection and extra depth and slickness.

Cheers

Dave

Would I be better off using a quick detailer instead of washing? Is a quick detailer the same as spray wax?

A wash is the safest way to clean a car if you are really concious about paint defects.

You can wash your car with QD's but only if its not heavily soiled. You will need to have alot of MF towels handy though.

Quick detailers contain cleaning agents in it where as a spray wax doesnt.

QD's are designed to clean off FRESH contaminants and provide temporary protection aswell.

Cheers

Dave

Prevention is the best way to keep water marks away.

Make sure the car is dried properly. I usually go over the car once with a large waffle weave towel and then again with a smaller one.

If there is light water marks on the car then a good Quick Detailer should do the trick. Just make sure you buff it with a MF towel.

If that doesnt do the job then that means the minerals from the water has etched into the paint so polishing it out would be the only option.

Cheers

Dave

any tips for watermarks ?

without resulting in buffing..

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to garage my car at night, and as I result I have a lot of dew forming on the car by morning. I normally wipe it off with and MF towel before I head to work.

My question is will this be a problem when I wax my car as I understand it needs to be kept dry for a minimum time while it cures? Also if I wish to do a two coat wax, will there be any additional steps betwene the 1st and 2nd coats of wax to remove the dew.

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to garage my car at night, and as I result I have a lot of dew forming on the car by morning. I normally wipe it off with and MF towel before I head to work.

My question is will this be a problem when I wax my car as I understand it needs to be kept dry for a minimum time while it cures? Also if I wish to do a two coat wax, will there be any additional steps betwene the 1st and 2nd coats of wax to remove the dew.

The dew shouldnt be a problem while the wax is curing. Just as long as no chemicals with cleaners come in contact with it.

If your car is kept outside inbetween layers of waxing, you might need to give the car a light wash if any dust has fallen onto the car.

Cheers

Dave

I have a jack russell x who loves coming driving in the stivo, many brisbane members have met her

i can get the hair off the boot floor, but can't get it off the back of the seats.

suggestions

whitestivo

Grab some packing tape and wrap it around your hand with the sticky side out and dab it on the seats to remove the pet hair.

Cheers

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

wow what a great read I have just clayed and waxed my father in laws falcon and man was he happy the thing looked beter than new

my car is the big problem the former owner looks like he used to wash it with some 320 grit sand paper its a white Aurion and the entire car has bad swirls in it I have had no luck polishing them out using scratch x so i think Ill have to get a pro buff so I was wondering if anyone can recomend someone in Brisbane to do this job

I dont want it comming back worse than when it left and also what sort of money should I be paying for this job

thnx in advance

Michael