removing the glovebox

Keisari

I've got a really REALLY annoying rattle coming from the bottom of the glovebox (sounds like a loose screw or something?). I'm sure it's quite straightforward to remove, but the only screws I can find make the entire left side of the dash come apart. Anyone got any ideas?

While I was at it, I thought about changing the cabin filter. Does anyone know where I can buy one? I've tried autobarn, supercheap and repco but no luck. Thanks everyone.

st184 celicas don't have pollen filters for the air-vents, so forget about that.

if you just want to get the glovebox off, theres 4-6 screws from memory. open the lid, and there's a few screws on the inside lip of the shell itself. then theres 2 or so screws on the outside underneath the lid. remove all those, and it comes off. its not very hard at all.

while it's off, check all the other screws around that area, including the centre console and the heater fan, etc. also check the speakers, kick panels, etc.

Thanks lateralus for the reply. Thanks to you I was able to fix said rattle (which turned out to be a hair clip from the previous owner and a 5c piece, haha). Indeed it turned out to be quite easy (and you are correct that there is no filter).

For the record, there are two screws on the top of the inside lip of the glovebox, one screw underneath close to the centre console and one on the inside door trim, requiring removal of the plastic bit that says “Celica” and the plastic bit near the window that holds it in place to get to.

After removing these screws, the entire glovebox / speaker assembly should be removable. I then detached the power connectors on the speaker, glovebox light and circuit breaker to get the panel free. To remove the glovebox itself, two pins that fasten its hinge to the panel must be removed (they look something like cotter pins but I’m not sure what they’re called). Grab a screwdriver, pop them out and voila.

glad to hear it's all fixed

i had an st184 celica which i basically pulled everything apart and put it back together again, which fixed a LOT of odd sounds, creeks and squeeks. even though it was only just over a year ago, i can't remember anything about it, lol.

learnt a ***** load about the car though

Edited by lateralus

Yeah, how bad are the rattles in these! I've still got rattles coming from the driver's door, passenger seat area and sometimes from the centre air conditioning vent or something. I was going to try to pull the door apart on the weekend, hopefully it'll all go back together, lol.