20v 4AGE distributor question?

Hi, I have a 1991 Trueno GT APEX with the 20v 4AGE now I was wondering if anyone knows or has had any experience with changing the distributor setup to an after market one?

At the moment I am running the factory setup but I would like to be able to use after market 8mm leads but the factory setup has those stupid special clips and I've been told the only place to get leads is from toyota directly.

I would like to be able to use the generic 8mm standard leads from my local automotive parts shops like most other cars use but dont know exactly how to go about doing it?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi, I have a 1991 Trueno GT APEX with the 20v 4AGE now I was wondering if anyone knows or has had any experience with changing the distributor setup to an after market one?

At the moment I am running the factory setup but I would like to be able to use after market 8mm leads but the factory setup has those stupid special clips and I've been told the only place to get leads is from toyota directly.

I would like to be able to use the generic 8mm standard leads from my local automotive parts shops like most other cars use but dont know exactly how to go about doing it?

Cheers

Easiest way will to go a total aftermarket ECU - more tuning possibilities, you can do away with that nasty factory knock sensor robbing you of a lot of power, and will make the dizzy removal an easier job. Fortunately as the 4AGE is a pretty common engine for swaps, there's a lot of guides out there to removing the dizzy - have a read http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10002 to start with.

Cheers

Easiest way will to go a total aftermarket ECU - more tuning possibilities, you can do away with that nasty factory knock sensor robbing you of a lot of power, and will make the dizzy removal an easier job. Fortunately as the 4AGE is a pretty common engine for swaps, there's a lot of guides out there to removing the dizzy - have a read http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10002 to start with.

Changing to an aftermarket ECU is possibly the most expensive and most time consuming solution you could choose...

If all you want is 8mm leads, Magnacor make them to suit the 20V: http://www.magnecor.com.au/online/import_m.htm I've run them before and they fit fine, the factory caps for the leads can be used with the magnecor's.

Another option is to go to QLD Ignition Leads, http://www.qldignitionleads.com/ they can make you a custom set of 8mm leads for significantly less money than a new set of magnecor's. A set from QLD ignition leads would be around the $130-150 mark from my previous dealings with them.

When you put 8mm leads on a 20V, you have to remove the clips that bolt to the cam cover under the plastic trim cover.

Absolutely no reason to get rid of the distributor in a N/A FWD setup.