Car stolen - Toyota want $1700 to change locks

JBeagle

Hey guys,

My car was stolen early monday morning and luckily it was found a couple of streets away. There was no damage to the car as far as I could see but it had taken a hiding because the average fuel reading was up a few litres.

They stole the car by walking down the side of the house and grabbing my keys through an open window. Police only lifted two prints off the whole car and they said that the prints might even belong to me. I think the theives were kids because they took my girlfriends CD's and small change from the dash. They didn't take all of the CD's but I'm not sure whether my girlfriend is relieved or insulted lol.

The guys who stole it didn't return the keys so I called Toyota to get the locks changed and they quoted me $1700. They said they need to "change the lock barrels on the boot, drivers door and steering column and reset and configure the computer."

I called another dealer (unrelated to the first one) and they quoted $1700-$2000 with around "$1500 just in parts".

Does this sound right to you guys? What are my options here?

Also - insurance:

The excess is $1200 so I could pursue it that way, but the car is registered to my business and the policy states "the car is garaged at <home address>" and my car was stolen from another location. Will the insurance company reject me? Is it worth claiming insurance to save $500 or should I just wear it to avoid higher premiums? Also, I am under 25 but surely the "Driver under 25" additional excess wouldn't apply in this situation, right?

Cheers.

Edit: Thread title was misleading - changed.

Edited by JBeagle

I'd phone your insurer and confirm the excess charges, in my experience they'll charge you the under 25 excess too if you go down that path.

You could get away with it cheaper from toyota if you just get a new master key, Toyota can wipe ECU of all key records and register all your current keys again. This would mean the stolen key could open the physical locks on the car, but not be able to start the engine.

If you want to stop them getting in physically then you'd require lock changes which is expensive.

1. key left near open window

2. car not parked at specific place

3. claim thru insurance = premium increase

4. under 25

5. excess close to repair cost..

1 and 2 MIGHT give you some issue, but the insurer may be nice to you?

u pretty much can guess what is your best choice..

I'd phone your insurer and confirm the excess charges, in my experience they'll charge you the under 25 excess too if you go down that path.

You could get away with it cheaper from toyota if you just get a new master key, Toyota can wipe ECU of all key records and register all your current keys again. This would mean the stolen key could open the physical locks on the car, but not be able to start the engine.

If you want to stop them getting in physically then you'd require lock changes which is expensive.

hmmm although the car would be parked at the same place again and again.. i am assuming if its the GF's house... can see this going bad.

you will be able to claim theft from another location, but you will have to prove that it is not parked there regularly. however, your insurance won't cover you for changing the locks, as they weren't damaged in the theft. the insurance will only cover damages to your car and any goods stolen up to the amount set out in your pds (which as you said is $1200). i doubt small change and the cd's will amount to $1200.

and even if you did, you wouldn't be charged an age excess as it is a theft. only a basic excess will apply then.

so it looks as though you're going to have to cop the ****ty end of the stick with this one.

Bingo, use your old key and pick up a new master then have them erase the old and program the new. they won't be able to do anything with your stolen key