Rust on the towball

Hyo

Hi,

It's been a year since I got an Aurion and noticed rust on the towball from few months ago. I cleaned it once using scratch removal but got rusted again quite quickly.

Is it normal or should I replace the towball?

Thanks!

Hyo

post-5662-1227683258_thumb.jpg

Hi,

It's been a year since I got an Aurion and noticed rust on the towball from few months ago. I cleaned it once using scratch removal but got rusted again quite quickly.

Thanks!

Hyo

Normal, the chrome coating will always be rubbed off by the trailer hitch. If you grease it up a bit, it shouldn't rust as quick.

You can replace them quite cheaply though, if you're more concerned about the looks.

Hi,

Thanks!

Hyo

I don't know how to take this question, serious or not?

Take the towball off when not in use, all you need is a large shifter.

I don't know how to take this question, serious or not?

Take the towball off when not in use, all you need is a large shifter.

Oh, I was serious when I posted the question up.

I think I'll just clean it up again and put some grease on it. Thanks 'the random hero'

Edited by Hyo

Yes... unfortunately the tow ball is ok... to fix it, you need to replace the car :P

The bad thing about tow balls is the chrome damages pretty easy. even a few scratches will cause it to go rusty. The good news is, its totally normal. My last car was a Rodeo Ute with a tow hitch that was used every second day. The tow ball now has no chrome left on it, but it has not lost any ability. Be more concerend for it if it looks bent one way or another, or has cracks showing on the thin neck part of the ball.

To fix it up, you can either replace it, as already mentioned, or if you do want to clean it, you can use stainless steel wool and some warm dish washing liquid. Stainless steel wool should not be hard to fine, or you could use a stainless wire brush. Use stainless steel so it wont leave and iron behind, as that is what will rust as well, and defeats the purpose of cleaning :)

Or you could just buy yourself one of those tow ball covers that just slip over it very easy to take off when youre coupling a trailer and put it back on after.

Or just use a tennis ball....

Taking it off is the best way to protect it from rusting as it will continue to rust even after you have cleaned it, see below (courtesy of The Rust Store)

What is rust?

Rust is the common term for corroded steel or iron. The reddish oxide produced is caused by oxygen and moisture.

What causes rust?

Rust is caused by exposed metal coming into contact with oxygen and moisture.

Do metals other than steel and iron rust?

No, only iron and steel will rust. However, other metals such as aluminum or zinc will corrode.

How can I prevent rust from forming?

The most practical method for preventing rust is to keep your iron or steel away from oxygen or moisture. This is often achieved by painting the surface or by applying a rust preventative coating.