footwell lighting

If you are talking about having LED's/ neons under the glovebox (passenger side) and under the dash/just above the pedals (drivers side) then yes I have a set of LED's there...

I have pictures at home of what the final product looks like if you want, i can show you.. just let me know.

I've got white LED's in my front footwells. Not rice at all. They accent the lighting a little in my opinion. I find it more cleaner to have even lighting all round and the LED's help with that. If it were a different colour, then it would enter rice territory, but I wouldn't define mine as that. I have only a couple of photos at the moment. Will add some better ones when it gets dark. Mine are just wired so that they come on when the dome light does and can be disabled/overridden as necessary.

dsc03110hp3.th.jpg dsc03111hp5.th.jpg

Of course, it's absolutely necessary to have lighting down there, so you can see where the pedals are in case someone's stolen them....

Since they are there for vanity and/or bling, and serve no real performance-enhancing purpose, I class them as rice. Or at least ****.

The only way I'd install them would be if they were hooked up to the interior light, and turned off when the engine was started. In all other circumstances they'd be too distracting (any light that doesn't come from the road is deemed distracting, which is the whole point of HUDs and dimming dash clusters at night-time, so you can concentrate on looking straight ahead.

DJKOR - i think your White LED's look neat

haha... factory option in japan

mine are blue LED's and they are probably very rice, they shine nicely on the chrome pedal covers that i've got...

its just a thing that i have where i like to see my feet when im driving and I dont find it distracting at all.

I have them hooked up to the accessories, so whenever I put my parkers on, they come on with it.

I usually drive with my headlights on too - it is a free safety feature...

DJKOR - i think your White LED's look neat

haha... factory option in japan

mine are blue LED's and they are probably very rice, they shine nicely on the chrome pedal covers that i've got...

its just a thing that i have where i like to see my feet when im driving and I dont find it distracting at all.

I have them hooked up to the accessories, so whenever I put my parkers on, they come on with it.

I usually drive with my headlights on too - it is a free safety feature...

But why bother seeing your feet at all though? If it was a race car and you were taking footage of your gear changes etc that can be tied back to data tracks or the like, then maybe. But apart from that any time spend admiring your shoes and pedals is time not spent looking out the windscreen, even if it's just peripheral vision. The only time your eyes should be off the windscreen is the standard mirror checks, and to look at the speedo. Everything else _has_ to be automatic, and blind.

And trust me, you mightn't find it distracting, but cops won't necessarily see the same way as you. Goes the same for DVD screens etc which have to automatically turn off when the car is running if they are within line of site of the driver.

If you are talking about having LED's/ neons under the glovebox (passenger side) and under the dash/just above the pedals (drivers side) then yes I have a set of LED's there...

I have pictures at home of what the final product looks like if you want, i can show you.. just let me know.

ummm yes please if you could thanks. But i was wondering where can i get it hook up to 12v ? Sorry for the noob question.

I've got white LED's in my front footwells. Not rice at all. They accent the lighting a little in my opinion. I find it more cleaner to have even lighting all round and the LED's help with that. If it were a different colour, then it would enter rice territory, but I wouldn't define mine as that. I have only a couple of photos at the moment. Will add some better ones when it gets dark. Mine are just wired so that they come on when the dome light does and can be disabled/overridden as necessary.

dsc03110hp3.th.jpg dsc03111hp5.th.jpg

wow thats nice dude i wanted something like that on both the driver and passenger side. How did u hook it up btw ? I wanted to wired mine up but not too sure where hehe. hehe sorry for my noobness.

How did u hook it up btw ? I wanted to wired mine up but not too sure where hehe. hehe sorry for my noobness.

For my Aurion, it's hooked up to the dome lighting. Because my dome lights have a thin gauge ribbon style cable, I didn't want to go splicing into it at any point along the line. Everything on my Aurion was really tightly put together so there were only two points where I could tap into it. One was at the junction box behind the glove box, or at the dome light itself. Couldn't connect it at the dome light end because of the curtain airbags in the A-pillar preventing me from running the cables along there, and couldn't even tap halfway down the A-pillar because the dome lighting uses a crappy ribbon cable that I couldn't be bothered splicing. So that left my last option at the junction box. Had to disconnect the battery and lose my radio settings because to access the cabling behind it, I needed to disconnect everything which included some airbag wiring.

It would be easier on another car, or if I took some shortcuts, but I like to get the install right. Anyways, now it means that it behaves exactly light the dome light (regardless of whether the dome light is on or not) and fades in and out correctly.

Edit: As for another reasons of putting them in, it's all personal preference. Some people just like to do it. With my car, anyone who has been in it has always commented about how clean it is. I have like OCD for keeping stuff spotless. My car is vacuumed twice a week just so stays clean. The LED's in combination with a spotless car looks nice to me. Anyways, here are a couple more photos. In the last two, you can see how the lighting is well positioned to keep it within the footwell area. Just ignore the bright spot in the third photo; that's not visible from the drivers position. As well, ignore how it looks blue in the fourth photo; that's the result of auto white balance on the camera. Regardless, I never drive with it on because that is just pointless.

dsc03267ey1.th.jpg dsc03268xo6.th.jpg dsc03269jx4.th.jpg dsc03276sn1.th.jpg

Here's my LED on Corolla Sportivo for your reference..

I got it installed and wired to the headlight cable and put a switch in between,

so it only turn on when its dark and you need to use headlight.

and also even at night I can switch it on/off anytime coz you put a switch in between.

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

ummm yes please if you could thanks. But i was wondering where can i get it hook up to 12v ? Sorry for the noob question.

mate the easiest possible way would be to connect them in series to your cigarette lighter and run a switch in the slots next to the electric mirror control and security light. that way you are able to turn them on and of as you please and you have power when ever the car is on accesories or turned on.

cheers

IMG_2404.jpg

I think that is the first time I've seen wheel arch neons. Careful not to drive over gravely roads!

Vanity footwell lighting has been a standard feature on some luxo cars over the years. It's one of those thing like the curtosy lights in the doors (so you can see what you're standing in I guess?), and passenger mirror lighting for putting on makeup. I wouldn't call it rice at all, if it's white atleast... Look at it this way, with footwell lighting, you can see what your passengers have stood in, and you will know who to blame for that mess!

Gav.

I think that is the first time I've seen wheel arch neons. Careful not to drive over gravely roads!

Its LED and coated with Super High Durable silicon so it will never break or snap even if you scuff the firewall..

I've been on several harsh tarmac gravel road driving and it still shine as new.

that is HOOTTT!!! i got a red sportivo aswell.. how did u do it? where did u get the lights from n how did you install them..

sets it off!!

Do Not Try DIY because it is really REALLY hard and time consuming to install on a Corolla~!

Unless you know what u're doing.

Total of 8 LED and all the wiring and stuff took a full 8 hours. That include the 2 front passenger footwell, 4 wheel arch, and 2 front grille.

*edit* Although I know how hard it is, I will probably do the wheel arch again with my next car XD

Edited by Aks

you mean neons?

thats rice :P

people can we be clear on what rice is please, rice is performence style parts that do nothing or are over kill on a car. to any rolla owners that hate rice i think u should rip your skirts and lips off as they are rice in the true definition of the word (purpose of a sports bar and skirts is down force and to allow better cooling does your factory rice do any of that lol)

you mean neons?

thats rice :P

people can we be clear on what rice is please, rice is performence style parts that do nothing or are over kill on a car. to any rolla owners that hate rice i think u should rip your skirts and lips off as they are rice in the true definition of the word (purpose of a sports bar and skirts is down force and to allow better cooling does your factory rice do any of that lol)

/clap 3 cheers for the guru

I think neons or L.E.D s in foot well look neat. At the end of the day its personal choice. I think its quiet funny people on here say ' oh it a rice mod its so pointless wah wah' Just remember wat car u drive COROLLAS JAPANESE COROLLAS

I think neons or L.E.D s in foot well look neat. At the end of the day its personal choice. I think its quiet funny people on here say ' oh it a rice mod its so pointless wah wah' Just remember wat car u drive COROLLAS JAPANESE COROLLAS

Also two of the rivals in the Aust market Lancer and Civic offer interior lighting as an accessory (in the Aust market)

Standard Civicpost-3374-1228391669_thumb.jpg

Civic Type Rpost-3374-1228391614_thumb.jpg

i have a set of Genuine Toyota Yaris driver and front passenger foot LED light for sale

not sure how hard is it to make it to suit other Toyotas

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=15250

Edited by Dennis_ZZE122

If i'm connecting the LEDs to the key-hole light do I need to fuse them? or can I just hook them up directly to the key-hole light?

General rule is that you always fuse whatever you connect to power. Most things in your car are already fused (ie. dome light, cigarette lighter socket), so you can rely on those fuses if you are that lazy, but this is only useful when you run the same gauge wire as stock. Otherwise your additional cabling becomes the fuse.

Just be careful when running anything off your keyhole light. As the keyhole light is just one low wattage bulb, or even LED's, the wiring to it may possibly be of a very thin gauge. Connecting an extra load to it (even a pair of footwell LED strips) may put a little stress on the stock cabling depending on how good it is. Just make sure you sus out the stock cabling first. My preferred option if I was to run it from the keyhole light would be to use a relay. Only issue is that if your lights fade on/off, the relay won't let that happen to your connected lights. That's why I didn't go that route.