Removing intake resonator

Ascendant Rice

hey guys i want to remove the resonater connected to the stock airbox and replace it with as traight pvc pipe or similar and then drop in a k & n panel. Doesn any one know how to to do this and will removing the resonater casue me to lose low end torque? main resson for wanting to remove the resonator is so get some induction noise.

please help

cheers, william

My Advice is dont remove the resonator.

your messing with a finely tuned and engineered peice of the stock setup.

Its not worth the power losses for a bit of induction noise.

If you REALLY want to do this... it wouldnt be more than a few screws or bolts... use your eyes... and poke around.. you cant damage anything when you pull the air filer out.

just dont be a muppet and put anything in the throttle body.

If you REALLY want to do this... it wouldnt be more than a few screws or bolts... use your eyes... and poke around.. you cant damage anything when you pull the air filer out.

thanks, lol im too scared to open the filter box :( scared i wont be able to close it again.

EDIT: how would the power losses occur?i dont know much bout this stuff.

Edited by Ascendant Rice

thanks, lol im too scared to open the filter box :( scared i wont be able to close it again.

Think about how your engine works.. and its a big air pump.

As the engine revs, it emits vibrations... they can exist in the exhaust and in the intake.

The resonators in the Exhaust and the Intake are important as they take the interference out of the vibrations and allow the gasses to pass through the engine without causing any amplification anywhere in the system, causing drone, or poor delivery of either Gasses or Air in the intake.

If the ntake has a resonator, you'd expect that as the air comes in, the vibrations need to be cancelled out to allow for the best efficiency.

TRD intakes, AEM, Injen are all specifically Tuned Lengths so we dont need a resonator in the box.

The power losses occur as you go through the rev range, and you hit a patch or 2 that have some form of amplification in the vibration, and cause a disturbance in the air flow.

hope that helps.

you want to mod your car but are scared about unclipping the air box .....william william william.........its one of the most basic things you can do along with add water to your windscreen reservoir :)

whats a reservoir? :wacko:

haha jk.

dude tbh unclipping and putting in a k&n filter was probably the first mod i did to my old car.

once you do it you will start to play around with your car and get a feel with it. atleast your cautious though, alot of my mates think they know what they are doing and dont do their research, attach all sorts of non brand items and eventualy problems arrise.

you will be right! enjoy your modding :D

Yeah, I wouldn't really bother removing the resonators in your car for a trade-off between power and induction noise. Not the best words coming from me, but with my V6 and the way I drive, I wouldn't even notice any loss in power. You have to remember that these cars were designed by people who have researched things like this thoroughly.

If your car is anything like mine (in terms of the modern design), then these resonators and sections where the intake narrows serves a good purpose. Removing either or both will take an effect on your low end torque as these help towards the air velocity when the throttle is not fully open. I've noticed differences in my low end torque by removing the resonators and restrictions, which is why I put my upper one (right before the throttle body) back in, which resolved that. I still left the one located before the air filter out since I wanted some adjustment to the induction note. So far that hasn't had any effect on the performance. I figure this one was there just for noise reduction as after this resonator is the air filter which will most likely alter the air flow a bit. Modern cars are fairly touchy. Everything is put in for a reason.

lol jaderd i got no problems with fillign stuff just i dotn liek unclipping things hehe

Think about how your engine works.. and its a big air pump.

As the engine revs, it emits vibrations... they can exist in the exhaust and in the intake.

The resonators in the Exhaust and the Intake are important as they take the interference out of the vibrations and allow the gasses to pass through the engine without causing any amplification anywhere in the system, causing drone, or poor delivery of either Gasses or Air in the intake.

If the ntake has a resonator, you'd expect that as the air comes in, the vibrations need to be cancelled out to allow for the best efficiency.

TRD intakes, AEM, Injen are all specifically Tuned Lengths so we dont need a resonator in the box.

The power losses occur as you go through the rev range, and you hit a patch or 2 that have some form of amplification in the vibration, and cause a disturbance in the air flow.

hope that helps.

Thanks BKS it makes sense, i guess ill just go back to make jet fighter noises while driving (not a joke)

Thanks brad i might get a drop in filter but not really sure if its actually worth the 100 dollars. as any increases would be too small to notice.