Burning question!!

byw

Hi All,

I have been wondering about this for a while and wanted to know the purpose of the black metal box in the boot just under the parcel shelf.

I have attached a picture of it for your reference.

Hope someone can answer my question....

Thanks.

post-11199-1232204721_thumb.jpg

WTF. Well it definitely isn't in the Sportivo, so that leaves me stumped. I would look further into it if I had one in mine.

There is nothing much more I can think of that is an extra on the Presara that would explain that box. The only two things I can think of that could have any use for something there is the rear window shade, or the ToyotaLink stuff.

WTF. Well it definitely isn't in the Sportivo, so that leaves me stumped. I would look further into it if I had one in mine.

There is nothing much more I can think of that is an extra on the Presara that would explain that box. The only two things I can think of that could have any use for something there is the rear window shade, or the ToyotaLink stuff.

Thanks for the quick reply D.

I was thinking it might be Toyotalink related but forgotten about the electric window shade (which is a big possibility) - if I don't get any replies, I will try to remove the covers, take some pictures and report back.

Hi All,

I have been wondering about this for a while and wanted to know the purpose of the black metal box in the boot just under the parcel shelf.

I have attached a picture of it for your reference.

Hope someone can answer my question....

Thanks.

post-11199-1232204721_thumb.jpg

Yes, I wondered about this box as well. It's either the rear window shade or maybe something to do with Toyota Link as when you turn on the ignition there is a loud beep that comes out of the left rear speaker. I asked at my 15k service if it could be removed or toned down a bit and they reckon that it can't. It's pretty annoying especially if you are a passenger in the rear. i'm interested if anyone else has managed to remove this beep?

I too have a presara with that box. It could be related to the power window shade and/or toyota link.

By the way, there's no loud beeps or ANY noises coming through the speakers when I turn the engine on. I wouldn't accept the service centre saying that's normal function.

I too have a presara with that box. It could be related to the power window shade and/or toyota link.

By the way, there's no loud beeps or ANY noises coming through the speakers when I turn the engine on. I wouldn't accept the service centre saying that's normal function.

Thanks for that, I'm going to get onto it as it really is annoying.

Thanks for that, I'm going to get onto it as it really is annoying.

I got no beeping noise either.

If it not on any of the other models it must be the rear shade. The toyotalink shouldn't be that accessible.

Well, I can confirm its not the Motor for the rear window shade. I have the Grande "Presera?" version with the shade and that thing is not in my trunk.

However, Instead of the box i have a fire extinguisher. So who knows, Maybe its a box to hold the fire extinguisher?...I dunno!.

Well, I can confirm its not the Motor for the rear window shade. I have the Grande "Presera?" version with the shade and that thing is not in my trunk.

However, Instead of the box i have a fire extinguisher. So who knows, Maybe its a box to hold the fire extinguisher?...I dunno!.

Thanks PsychoRez, that's very interesting as I had a closer look at the box and found that it's not that easy to remove the covers as there are no obvious screws. With all the initial responses, I thought it must be the motor for the rear window shade and had my son operate it with me inside the boot to see whether I can hear the motor running but I can't hear anything coming from the box.

I also found what looks like an external test socket for the electronics inside the box (photo attached). With what PsychoRez has reported for his version of the "Presara" and all these other findings, it leads me to think it's the Toyotalink stuff....

PsychoRez... Does your car have Toyotalink???

post-11199-1232259656_thumb.jpg

I would definitely be leaning towards the Toyota Link primarily because it sits too far forward to be the motor for the rear shade. I just included the rear shade idea in my post cause I couldn't think of anything else different in the Presara that would need something located there. I'm guessing that port on it is to program the Toyota Link.

OH! i so want it to be a flight data recorder! It is in a black box after all :)

I was going to say ECU housing, but it seems weird that it has an external electrical plug that isnt "OBD II"

Can we narrow it down to a year model ? It may be a year model change. 07 has it, 08 same model does not, as they may have changed the ECU type

Perhaps parking sensor ECU ? can you trace any wires coming out of it ? if so, where do they go ?

Rear speaker amp ? subwoofer driver ? (the range rovers used to have these tiny amps driving small sub woofers. dont ask me why, they just did...)

Its probably a whole ECU dedicated to the round push to start button... car makers are weird like that someitmes... :D

Nope, My car doesn't have Toyotalink. They don't offer that service where i live. Sounds pretty neat though.

Think DJKOR is correct about it having something to do with Toyotalink. Thing looks heavy, though. Wonder how much it weighs!.

Regarding Toyota Link, yeah it sounds like a neat service. Never used it in the 12 months I've had the car... I guess it's there just in case.

I did once get a strange call coming via the toyota link, while I was on the phone (via car's bluetooth). It's like someone's call was accidentally routed to my car... It was hard to find out anything about it as I was talking on my telephone call and things were getting confusing with the mistaken toyota link call also asking stuff. The other mis-routed call was terminated before mine so I didn't get a chance to ask any questions... :(

Could the box in the boot be related to the Presara SatNav GPS receiver ? Does the Grande have the same in-build SatNav as the Presara ? If yes, then I'd expect the same box in the boot of the Grande.

Edited by riftime

Just spoken to a Toyota service rep and he said they program the Toyotalink via a port under the dash on the driver's side!! If he is correct, then the port on the black metal box is not for programming Toyotalink.

The rep said he'll have a look if he can find a Presara and get back to me.

Just spoken to a Toyota service rep and he said they program the Toyotalink via a port under the dash on the driver's side!! If he is correct, then the port on the black metal box is not for programming Toyotalink.

A bit off the subject, but with regards to the Toyota Link Beep from the left rear speaker, i rang Toyota Link this morning and according to them they think it's supposed to happen, they checked everything and then put me through to Toyota Technical who basically told me to go back to my dealer and wouldn't enlighten me either way. Does anyone at all out there with a Presara get the beep when turning the ignition on? cheers

A bit off the subject, but with regards to the Toyota Link Beep from the left rear speaker, i rang Toyota Link this morning and according to them they think it's supposed to happen, they checked everything and then put me through to Toyota Technical who basically told me to go back to my dealer and wouldn't enlighten me either way. Does anyone at all out there with a Presara get the beep when turning the ignition on? cheers

Are you just pressing the Start/Stop button without depressing the brake or are you starting the car?

From memory, if I start the car I definitely don't hear the beep. However, if I just press the Start/Stop button (twice) without depressing the brake, I think (not 100% sure) there is a beep. I don't have my car with me today so cannot confirm it. Will try it when I get home if someone does not try it first and report back....

Are you just pressing the Start/Stop button without depressing the brake or are you starting the car?

From memory, if I start the car I definitely don't hear the beep. However, if I just press the Start/Stop button (twice) without depressing the brake, I think (not 100% sure) there is a beep. I don't have my car with me today so cannot confirm it. Will try it when I get home if someone does not try it first and report back....

Happens both ways.

Yeah I think there is a beep when u ignite. Which I rarely do - only to leave the headlights on when doing something (miss having my turbo timer).

I always just start the car with brake and start.

Will check later tho.

Definitely a quiet start on my Presara, no beeps whatsoever. Also noticed that the ToyotaLink light indicator (on roof, near moonroof controls) may go from red to green (no signal to signal) without any kind of audible notifiers.

By the way, does anyone know what communication Toyota Link uses? Is it GSM based, or something else?

By the way, does anyone know what communication Toyota Link uses? Is it GSM based, or something else?

A quick read of the terms and conditions of use for the Toyota Link states:

What is the availability of the Toyota Link Services?

Toyota Link Services will be provided to Your vehicle only:

* within Australia;

* if the Mayday ECU has been installed as original equipment;

* when Your vehicle is within the operating range of Toyota's
GSM
carrier and in an area not affected by atmospheric and topographical conditions (for eg. bad weather or when indoors or underground); and

* subject to the technological limitations of the communication and GPS systems that the Toyota Link Services rely upon including Toyota's carrier
GSM
service being operational or available and the availability of GPS location information.

For more information, go here: http://www.toyota.com.au/toyotalink/animation/index

I would say it uses GSM for the communications. Makes sense though becuse GSM is not affected (in most cases) by overhead structures.

As for the box in the boot being for the Toyota Link, it's size is probably explainable since it probably has some space in there for a battery to power it should your car battery fail.

A quick read of the terms and conditions of use for the Toyota Link states:

What is the availability of the Toyota Link Services?

Toyota Link Services will be provided to Your vehicle only:

* within Australia;

* if the Mayday ECU has been installed as original equipment;

* when Your vehicle is within the operating range of Toyota's
GSM
carrier and in an area not affected by atmospheric and topographical conditions (for eg. bad weather or when indoors or underground); and

* subject to the technological limitations of the communication and GPS systems that the Toyota Link Services rely upon including Toyota's carrier
GSM
service being operational or available and the availability of GPS location information.

For more information, go here: http://www.toyota.com.au/toyotalink/animation/index

I would say it uses GSM for the communications. Makes sense though becuse GSM is not affected (in most cases) by overhead structures.

As for the box in the boot being for the Toyota Link, it's size is probably explainable since it probably has some space in there for a battery to power it should your car battery fail.

Sounds logical to me as the GSM arial is also supposedly on the rear window and they warn about using metalic window tints as this causes a reception problem.

Happens both ways.

Tried it after getting home from work and I also can hear a beep after starting the car AND also going into the ON mode by pressing the Start/Stop button twice without depressing the brake.

I guess either your car is normal or both our cars are suffering from the same problem!!! :huh:

Can other Presara owners confirm this??