205/55/16 do they fit on sportivo rims?

lazyboy

The 205's will put your overall diameter out by 8mm.  The best bet is to shoehorn on a set of 215/50 R16's - only 0.5mm difference in diameter and therefore won't cause speedo inaccuracy.

but the factory wheel is only 6 inches wide and if you believe in the rule that the wheel can only support 6 + 2 = 8 inches

8 inches into metric is 203.2 mm

so even running 205 is pushing it

The 205's will put your overall diameter out by 8mm.  The best bet is to shoehorn on a set of 215/50 R16's - only 0.5mm difference in diameter and therefore won't cause speedo inaccuracy.

You're right, 205/50/16 is 8mm less diameter,which is only 1.5% different to stock.

So when you're speedo says 100km/h you're really doing 98.5km/h which probably ain't a bad thing if you live in Victoria.

Check out this site

Tire Size Calculator

Cheers

T.

Edited by rolla02

Lo,

Just managed to see this looking for some advice...

I have 205/55/16 on my stock stivo rims.

Grip is slightly better, road noise is less, and my speedo is out slightly.

Road holding is slighlty off from the origional tyre size though, as I now have a waggy tail when braking extremely hard, and the car rolls more when I corner hard.

Pull aways are also slightly slower.

It depends on what you'll be using your car for I guess...

For family trips and long road I would happily suggest these, but for a track day every now and then, or some "spirited" city driving I would suggest the standard size or the 205/50's.

Lata.

Lo,

Just managed to see this looking for some advice...

I have 205/55/16 on my stock stivo rims.

Grip is slightly better, road noise is less, and my speedo is out slightly.

Road holding is slighlty off from the origional tyre size though, as I now have a waggy tail when braking extremely hard, and the car rolls more when I corner hard.

Pull aways are also slightly slower.

It depends on what you'll be using your car for I guess...

For family trips and long road I would happily suggest these, but for a track day every now and then, or some "spirited" city driving I would suggest the standard size or the 205/50's.

Lata.

lata,

thanks heaps for that info!

what brand tyres you have?

yeah my rolla is only for run around and maybe just a race of the lights but thats about it, no flying around corners etc...so that makes my choice alot more easy.

loi.

Lo,

They are dunlop SP7000's, the ones that apprently broke the ladnspeed record...

Dunno if you'll be able to get them over there though...???

They didn't do much for my engine output... :D :D :D

Anyways, they're failry soft but last long, a mate of mine has done 42000K's, and they still have some good life in them.

Lata.

• 2 weeks later...

It really can depend on what type of tyre you're talking about.

I've been researching replacements for my 195/60R15's (Conquest has 15x6 rims) and both Bridgestone and Yokohama are happy for their 225/50R15's to go on those rims, but that's the minimum width they'll cope with. In both cases they specify a suitable range of 6 to 8" rims, with 7" being the optimum.

Having said that, though, you might find other brands or types of tyres where their 225 widths are not suitable for 6" rims.

As much as I'd love a set of these for my car, I suspect they may scrub a bit. Personally, I'll be heading for 205/55R15's when the time comes.