"There's a lot of the Lexus in the Aurion"

boxerboy

Yep, that's what the salesman told me! :D

I discarded the comment as I thought it was just sales rhetoric to help get a deal done.

Then my bro in law said the same, and he's a Toyota dealer employee.

So, can anyone tell me how the Lexus (which one) can be seen in the Aurion? What are the similarities?

Build, chassis, anything?

If there was any Lexus in the Aurion it'd be a RWD....

The Aurion is a damn fine car for the money you pay but Lexus is on a whole different scale, reaching a different market. When you drive a Lexus, you can feel the difference.

In 2005, Lexus' entire organisational structure split from Toyota. They may share knowledge and parts here and there, but that's about it. Lexus has its own design, engineering, training, and manufacturing centres.

I think the closest thing that an Aurion has that is also used by Lexus is the 2GR-FE engine, which is also used in the Lexus RX350 and ES350. What your brother-in-law probably meant is that a lot of skill and knowledge has been shared between Lexus and Toyota, and that skill has been used in the design of the Aurion. The Aurion is built in Australia while all Lexii (plural of a Lexus??!) are built in Japan.

Edited by Supercharged TRD

The gen 6 Camry and Aurion share a very similar chassis/platform and drive train to the ES350. The ES family is now a US only model. The gen 4 Camry also shared a platform with the early ES300 and the gen 5 with the last ES330 sold here.

There was a recent thread on TN with engine bay pics of the gen 6 and the ES as they were comparing suspension compatibility.

Edited by SupaTouring

There are alot of luxo lexus features in the presara.

I think that's where the comparison is coming from.

Presara = Poor mans Lexus

Lexus = Poor mans BMW

I agree with that...........................But unfortunately it follows on though:

The touring = Poor mans Presara

And my beast the ATX = Poor mans touring

Maaaaannn now i feel real poor, I hate being at the bottom of the food chain ha ha lol

Might have to ask my boss for a raise lol

There are alot of luxo lexus features in the presara.

I think that's where the comparison is coming from.

Presara = Poor mans Lexus

Lexus = Poor mans BMW

I agree with that...........................But unfortunately it follows on though:

Maaaaannn now i feel real poor, I hate being at the bottom of the food chain ha ha lol

not when the economy isnt heading where everyone wants it to be headin :P

Haha so true. Although there arent many lexus' out there that I would want. Not when the same amount of cash has you sitting in a BMW nowadays.

I think the secret to being happy is to want what you have rather than want what you don't have.

I have often pondered over this. Think about it, if you get a BMW, you'd want a Bentley. If you get a Bentley, you'd want a Rolls Royce. The list is never ending, and often we spend our lives in the neverending pursuit of material wealth when the answer is often within us.

I walk up to my car often and just stare at it, I love that car and although it isn't the fastest or the best around the track I still love it. I earn enough to get by, I work hard for my wages and I have a roof over my head, food to eat and a loving wife. In the end, that's all that matters. I'll probably buy another car in a few years if I have the spare cash to, but no pressure. Toyotas seem to last for ages before they give up the fight.

One good trick to do is to force yourself to take public transport for a week. Then when you get your car back you will have that same feeling that you did when you first got it. Absence makes the heart grow fonder....in the end, a car is a liability, the less you spend on one the wiser you are!

Edited by Supercharged TRD

I think the secret to being happy is to want what you have rather than want what you don't have.

I have often pondered over this. Think about it, if you get a BMW, you'd want a Bentley. If you get a Bentley, you'd want a Rolls Royce. The list is never ending, and often we spend our lives in the neverending pursuit of material wealth when the answer is often within us.

I walk up to my car often and just stare at it, I love that car and although it isn't the fastest or the best around the track I still love it. I earn enough to get by, I work hard for my wages and I have a roof over my head, food to eat and a loving wife. In the end, that's all that matters. I'll probably buy another car in a few years if I have the spare cash to, but no pressure. Toyotas seem to last for ages before they give up the fight.

One good trick to do is to force yourself to take public transport for a week. Then when you get your car back you will have that same feeling that you did when you first got it. Absence makes the heart grow fonder....in the end, a car is a liability, the less you spend on one the wiser you are!

Your right, I reckon. I have probably gone throught about $40,000 loss, trading my cars in, in the past 1.5 yrs. Had a suv, but then wanted a fast car, but then wanted a ute, but then back to a suv, now back to a sedan. Man its a expensive hobby. But you definately have to enjoy life, while you have it.

I brought the ATX, because i thought it would be a good base to start mods of on. But now its just finding time to do it. Ive now had this car for nearly a year, thats gotta be a record i reckon.

Just brought my misses a new Dodge and I tell you what they are a pretty good car, not to look at inside,(real american) but definately has all the bells and whistles.

Your right, I reckon. I have probably gone throught about $40,000 loss, trading my cars in, in the past 1.5 yrs. Had a suv, but then wanted a fast car, but then wanted a ute, but then back to a suv, now back to a sedan. Man its a expensive hobby. But you definately have to enjoy life, while you have it.

I brought the ATX, because i thought it would be a good base to start mods of on. But now its just finding time to do it. Ive now had this car for nearly a year, thats gotta be a record i reckon.

Just brought my misses a new Dodge and I tell you what they are a pretty good car, not to look at inside,(real american) but definately has all the bells and whistles.

Your right, I reckon. I have probably gone through about $40,000 loss, trading my cars in, in the past 1.5 yrs. Had a suv, but then wanted a fast car, but then wanted a ute, but then back to a suv, now back to a sedan. Man its a expensive hobby. But you definately have to enjoy life, while you have it.

Edited by BONDIE

My friend said the same thing about mine, "Just like a lexus" when he sat inside. Of course i don't agree, But i haven't sat in a lexus for a while so dunno.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did, The engine is the same one you get in a Lexus ES350. Not sure interior wise. We here in the middle east get an interior pretty similar to the new Camry's, Just some different bits like the gauges and stuff.

I've always been sure that there are similarities between the Lexus sedans....panels gaps on the LS/GS models look the same as ours, general shape of rear bumper/boot area is very similar.

I'd love to get some parts & do comparisons to see whether we can apply the Lexus mods to our range but they are quite $$$$$$

I had an idea of buying a front bumper with lip kit or bodykit to suit, then cut underneath the headlights on both AUrion & Lexus so the headlight piece attaches to the Lexus bottom half, then just fibreglass together. I can remember what model Lexus it was but the width & everything was almost spot on

There doesn't have to be a single part in common between the Aurion and a Lexus for someone to say "There's a lot of Lexus in the Aurion". Lexus as a brand has a lot of esteem, cachet and luxury attached to it, so when Toyota (the owner of Lexus) produces a car which shares some of those qualities you could say that Toyota's ownership of Lexus has rubbed off on it's own cars. In short, the more experience you have building luxury cars, and the better those cars are, the better your normal cars will be.

Or, from another view point, you could stick a Lexus badge on the Aurion and it would not seem out of place in the showroom at all, even as a standalone unique model.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

The GPS unit in the Presara is the previous Lexus model. If it was the current model, it would be a lot more flexible for adding iPOD inputs, DVD player, etc.

I think the rear curtain shade is in the same boat.

I also heard that the engine is some kind of Lexus engine (common to all Aurions). Probably not the newest? Not sure how true this last statement is, it came from one of the salesmen... :) I've come across some that would say anything to make a sale, hence my default doubt on this statement.

I also heard that the engine is some kind of Lexus engine (common to all Aurions). Probably not the newest? Not sure how true this last statement is, it came from one of the salesmen... :) I've come across some that would say anything to make a sale, hence my default doubt on this statement.

The GR isn't a Lexus engine per-se, it's a Toyota engine family used in both Toyota and Lexus vehicles. All engines that have appeared in a Lexus have also appeared in a Toyota.

The GR is in the following:

Prado

IS

GS

Aurion

Camry (overseas)

Rav4

Tarago

Kluger

Crown

Mark X

The only variant which is essentially Lexus-only is the direct injection 2GR-FSE

Yep, that's what the salesman told me! :D

I discarded the comment as I thought it was just sales rhetoric to help get a deal done.

Then my bro in law said the same, and he's a Toyota dealer employee.

So, can anyone tell me how the Lexus (which one) can be seen in the Aurion? What are the similarities?

Build, chassis, anything?

the body and engine are based on the lexus gs 350 but the lexus is rwd (that sucks)

if you look at the dimentions theres only mm differences between the 2

the body and engine are based on the lexus gs 350 but the lexus is rwd (that sucks)

if you look at the dimentions theres only mm differences between the 2

They are on completely different chassis.....there may be stylistic similarities between a GS and an Aurion, but underneath they are very different cars, bar the engine.

Maybe you're getting confused with the Lexus ES (which we don't get here anymore), which is based off the Camry chassis (as is the Aurion).

well guys, if you ask me, the lexus es350, gs350, all look the same as the camry AND the aurion

i understand that they are completely different cars, under the bonnet and chassis, but they are all styled the same to save costs, and dependent on their successes from sales, they would add new styles to the model via facelifts, add new curves and parts to make them "seem" different in terms of styling.

i guess from a profiteering point of view, its a smart strategy as they know their consumers want good, reliable, classy (mmm only in lexus...), reasonably easy maintainable cars, so they give them similar shells and improve on what matters most - the inside, the heart and sole of a car.

i still see the es300's around and wow they're replicas of the gen5 camrys.

well guys, if you ask me, the lexus es350, gs350, all look the same as the camry AND the aurion

i understand that they are completely different cars, under the bonnet and chassis, but they are all styled the same to save costs, and dependent on their successes from sales, they would add new styles to the model via facelifts, add new curves and parts to make them "seem" different in terms of styling.

i guess from a profiteering point of view, its a smart strategy as they know their consumers want good, reliable, classy (mmm only in lexus...), reasonably easy maintainable cars, so they give them similar shells and improve on what matters most - the inside, the heart and sole of a car.

Nothing strange about having a corporate face/style, look at Audi/Mercedes/BMW/VW etc, stylistically there are a lot of similarities between models, even between the smallest and the largest. It's all about brand recognition. You see a shape on the road, and instantly you know "that's a Merc", or "that's an Audi", even before you can read the badge on the boot lid. Lexus has this with the L-Finesse design language which is present on their current range.

For an extreme example, look at Aston Martin. A V8 Vantage from afar looks almost identical to a DB9 and a Vanquish, especially if you don't know how to spot the minor style differences. Up close the size factor is more obvious, but still the overall design is very similar.

Nothing strange about having a corporate face/style, look at Audi/Mercedes/BMW/VW etc, stylistically there are a lot of similarities between models, even between the smallest and the largest. It's all about brand recognition. You see a shape on the road, and instantly you know "that's a Merc", or "that's an Audi", even before you can read the badge on the boot lid. Lexus has this with the L-Finesse design language which is present on their current range.

For an extreme example, look at Aston Martin. A V8 Vantage from afar looks almost identical to a DB9 and a Vanquish, especially if you don't know how to spot the minor style differences. Up close the size factor is more obvious, but still the overall design is very similar.

yea you got a good point their. however, when you compare it with the bmmers and the mercs, their styles are somewhat similar to the rest of the fleet, however still unique in each class, and more importantly, still very very good looking. i dunno, eg, the new 1series compared to the 5, look similar with the grills but 1series looks much more suiting to its class - its elegance and sporty looks. whereas the 5series maintains that 5series look. each model as its distinctions.

if you compare that to lexus and toyota, 4 models are pretty much look exactly the same. the IS, RX, SC, and maybe the LS are the only ones which stand out with a wow factor.

currently the future cars of lexus are about to arrive in australia.

the new HS250H is the new corolla sedan! but with all the new and awesome changes that make it a lexus.

Edited by Wixy

currently the future cars of lexus are about to arrive in australia.

the new HS250H is the new corolla sedan! but with all the new and awesome changes that make it a lexus.

Actually, the HS is based from the Avensis, which is the modern Corona/Carina (ie between Camry and Corolla in size). We didn't get it here apart from the Avensis Verso people mover, but that's on a different platform anyway (Picnic)