Check VSC Error

OneBlueZR6

Gday everyone, i'm making a post in relation to a recent problem with my ZR6, i found it happened in the recent Melbourne heat wave. Out of random the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) failure warning came up on my screen on the speedo along with a red warning light and an amber image of a car loosing traction, I took it to toyota and the readouts that they got were that the 02 sensor played up, it worked for them that day and worked on the way back home, but not long after it popped up again, I got a dealers warranty with this car still and I am taking it in this Friday. I wanted to know if anyone has had this problem and if so what would cause it.

Cheers

Bruce :)

Edited by OneBlueZR6

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had this problem when a hose connecting the supercharger to the engine ruptured due to my relaxed driving style. However, once it got fixed it never came back and it's been 6 months since it happened.

Anyway, I think this warning light comes up as a blanket for quite a few conditions and it is hard to pinpoint exactly what is wrong unless a physical check is made.

The 'Check VSC System' warning will come up at any time a check engine light comes on. Mine did it when I accidentally started my car with the MAF sensor unplugged. About 5 metres of driving and the VSC warning came up. Some people have reported that by having a loose petrol tank cap, you can trigger the same response.

I don't know why it would do that, but it is certainly more intrusive than the lone check engine light. Maybe Toyota figured that if the 'Chack VSC System' warning flashed up, people would be more likely to get it to Toyota ASAP as it is a safety feature giving a malfunction warning.

A few months back I had my dash removed and reinstalled to fix some dash rattles.

They didn't put the car back together right and either damaged something or did not align/install it back right because as soon as I drove out that Check VSC light and bell came on. They had to order some cable or part and once changed the issue was fixed. All at their expense as the car is under warranty.

From the very vague description I was able to obtain, it had to do with the way the steering wheel was aligned with respect to some sensor used by VSC. Not sure if that's just made up stuff, but the steering wheel was offset after their initial dash efforts and the VSC problem wasn't there. When they straightened the steering wheel the VSC problem came up. After that part was changed, the VSC problem went away and the steering wheel was straight again.

• 2 months later...

Had the warning light come up in my Aurion today... I'd just started it and it came on with the ignition.

I shut down the engine and restarted and it hasn't come back since. Is this something I should be seriously worried about? I imagine the alarm would constantly be coming on if there was a serious issue?

Had the warning light come up in my Aurion today... I'd just started it and it came on with the ignition.

I shut down the engine and restarted and it hasn't come back since. Is this something I should be seriously worried about? I imagine the alarm would constantly be coming on if there was a serious issue?

when i installed my sub it did that came on wilst driving so i left it....parked at the shops for 10 mins then started it and it was gone....havnt had a problem since...wouldnt worry about it

when i installed my sub it did that came on wilst driving so i left it....parked at the shops for 10 mins then started it and it was gone....havnt had a problem since...wouldnt worry about it

Sounds like it's a common thing :P Gotta love Toyota ECU's.

because its just a blanket thing that comes up no matter what the error, just turn the car off and turn it back on... if it goes away, then dont worry about it... if it stays, then definitely take it back to the dealership... :)

• 2 months later...
because its just a blanket thing that comes up no matter what the error, just turn the car off and turn it back on... if it goes away, then dont worry about it... if it stays, then definitely take it back to the dealership... :)

Today I drove 50 meters and noticed the VSC and Traction Control lights were constantly on, but the Engine Check light was not. (see attached).

I turned the car off waited 10 seconds then switched it back on, the lights did not light up after this point. This is the first time I noticed it happening.

Were you guys talking about the same thing? Or should I be concerned?

I had a bit of a Google around but I couldn't find anything specific about the VSC and Traction lights on without the Engine light.

post-14100-1245903588_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hidden Taco

Today I drove 50 meters and noticed the VSC and Traction Control lights were constantly on, but the Engine Check light was not. (see attached).

I turned the car off waited 10 seconds then switched it back on, the lights did not light up after this point. This is the first time I noticed it happening.

Were you guys talking about the same thing? Or should I be concerned?

I had a bit of a Google around but I couldn't find anything specific about the VSC and Traction lights on without the Engine light.

Well if it doesn't come back, I wouldn't get concerned. Maybe just something to mention on your next service. If it does come back on again, I'd consider maybe letting Toyota know just in case.

As for the check engine light coming on, the pattern is like this:

When the check engine light comes on (a non VSC/TC error), the VSC/TC lights tend to come on regardless for some reason. However, if there is an issue with the VSC/TC system, these lights can come on without the check engine light coming on.

Cheers DJKOR.

Having read on a few American Toyota & Lexus forums I found that this could possibly be caused by over filling the fuel tank (pumping it a few more times once the pump clicks). Some how the over flowed fuel affects some sensors.

I definitely did that the last time I filled up but having said that it was 7 days ago and I only noticed the lights today (I'm sure it hadnt happened before). I have only had the car 2 weeks and the fuel warning light came on, so i decided to fill up with the assumption it would take 60-65 ltrs but it only took 50. At this point i scratched my head and pressed the pump a few more times.. ooppps. I don't now if this was the cause, and I kinda doubt it.

I will eventually learn when to actually fill it up. if it is anything like my old car you can drive another 100ks before you only have 5 ltrs left.

Having read on a few American Toyota & Lexus forums I found that this could possibly be caused by over filling the fuel tank (pumping it a few more times once the pump clicks). Some how the over flowed fuel affects some sensors.

If that was to cause an error light to come one, most likely it would be your check engine light. Having a loose petrol tank cap can set that off as well. Over-filling the tank doesn't usually trigger it though. As bad as it is, I used to fill my tank up well past the click, like an extra 1-1.5 litres to the point where the fuel was about to reach the inlet on the filler neck. This was during the time when you had to get you fuel on the right day. I never got any warning lights from that.

On a side note, it's advised not to do that as it can shorten the life of the charcoal canister. Now I fill it by waiting for the first click, taking the nosel out, waiting a few seconds for everything to settle, then fill again till it clicks a second time. The I just usually add a bit extra to round the dollar figure if required.

I will eventually learn when to actually fill it up. if it is anything like my old car you can drive another 100ks before you only have 5 ltrs left.

The needle will be on empty and the cruising range will say 0km when you have about 10 litres left in the tank. I drive between 40-80km once the light comes on before filling.

I had this problem when a hose connecting the supercharger to the engine ruptured due to my relaxed driving style. However, once it got fixed it never came back and it's been 6 months since it happened.

Anyway, I think this warning light comes up as a blanket for quite a few conditions and it is hard to pinpoint exactly what is wrong unless a physical check is made.

Had exactly the same thing happen to mine, had to wait 3 days for the part to come from Sydney, all fixed now but :)

• 6 months later...

Well I guess today was my lucky day. After doing about 20 minutes of driving, I was just casually driving along and hear a ding and then I see this:

2ahic2g.jpg

I've inspected what I could and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Luckily I have to head back to Toyota in a moment to pick up my spark plugs and intake gaskets so I'll see if they can read the code for me. I'd be curious to see what it is.

Well, after going to Toyota to pick up my $120 spark plugs, I asked the guy there if he could get his tech to bring out the Intelligent Tester. While waiting for the technician to finish coding keys and remotes to a new Landcruiser*, we spoke about the TRD and FT-86 etc. He also said that they had a ZR6 come in not long before which was getting the Check Engine light together with the Check VSC System warning (he mentioned that these will pretty much always come an together because they are basically tied together), and no matter what they did, the error would always come back. He said that they are in the process of ordering a new transmission ECU for that. Mentioned that it's not a cheap one either.

Anyways, when the tech was done with his work, we headed out to my car with the IT to see what error we were getting. After waiting a couple of minutes for the IT to do its job (I commented on that; he said there is quite a bit for it to read), it came back with some codes which seemed to have surprised the technician. Apparently there were 6 ABS/VSC related errors (he commented saying that he had only ever seen 2 at the most before and that was on that ZR6) but it shouldn't be anything to get worried about.

I asked what type of things could have logged such a code and he said the list is quite big. He commented about saying how the sensors etc in this car are so sensitive to everything and that I shouldn't really worry, which I wasn't doing anyways. Such things as one wheel spinning at a different rate to what it should, even rolling back on a hill a little before accelerating can mess with it.

He just told me that he cleared all the codes and that I should just drive it normally and if there is anything to worry about, the light would come on immediately after starting the engine, or once I reach about 60km/h.

I think after all this, I'm going to buy an OBDII reader just so I can see this stuff myself in the future. I wouldn't mind the fancy Intelligent Tester, but I don't think that will ever happen.

* I was talking to him about the key and remote coding. As we have found here, the remotes can be programmed with a sequence without needing the IT. I asked about the key, and he said that it can also be coded into the car without using the IT. I asked if he's be able to tell me the sequence, but unfortunately he could not tell me.

well thats pretty strange... you sure you werent doing anything? :spiteful:

hehehe

its in 's' so probably.

LOL. Hmmmm :whistling:

Well, at the time the error came up, I was driving casually. 5 minutes before that was a different story. Just the usual traffic weaving and roundabout speeding.

Well, after going to Toyota to pick up my $120 spark plugs, I asked the guy there if he could get his tech to bring out the Intelligent Tester. While waiting for the technician to finish coding keys and remotes to a new Landcruiser*, we spoke about the TRD and FT-86 etc. He also said that they had a ZR6 come in not long before which was getting the Check Engine light together with the Check VSC System warning (he mentioned that these will pretty much always come an together because they are basically tied together), and no matter what they did, the error would always come back. He said that they are in the process of ordering a new transmission ECU for that. Mentioned that it's not a cheap one either.

Anyways, when the tech was done with his work, we headed out to my car with the IT to see what error we were getting. After waiting a couple of minutes for the IT to do its job (I commented on that; he said there is quite a bit for it to read), it came back with some codes which seemed to have surprised the technician. Apparently there were 6 ABS/VSC related errors (he commented saying that he had only ever seen 2 at the most before and that was on that ZR6) but it shouldn't be anything to get worried about.

I asked what type of things could have logged such a code and he said the list is quite big. He commented about saying how the sensors etc in this car are so sensitive to everything and that I shouldn't really worry, which I wasn't doing anyways. Such things as one wheel spinning at a different rate to what it should, even rolling back on a hill a little before accelerating can mess with it.

ever since I got tyres matched up have had no problem with this warning. after thinking it was a fuel issue.

He just told me that he cleared all the codes and that I should just drive it normally and if there is anything to worry about, the light would come on immediately after starting the engine, or once I reach about 60km/h.

I think after all this, I'm going to buy an OBDII reader just so I can see this stuff myself in the future. I wouldn't mind the fancy Intelligent Tester, but I don't think that will ever happen.

* I was talking to him about the key and remote coding. As we have found here, the remotes can be programmed with a sequence without needing the IT. I asked about the key, and he said that it can also be coded into the car without using the IT. I asked if he's be able to tell me the sequence, but unfortunately he could not tell me.

well thats pretty strange... you sure you werent doing anything? :spiteful:

hehehe

its in 's' so probably.

LOL. Hmmmm :whistling:

Well, at the time the error came up, I was driving casually. 5 minutes before that was a different story. Just the usual traffic weaving and roundabout speeding.

I have not had the problem since matching up the tyres, when I thought it was a fuel issue. Edited by scootastaxisx6

Do you have a laptop (most people do these days!)?

If you do, get yourself an ELM327 USB scanner off Ebay (I paid about $40 from the US), and a copy of Palmers Performance Scan XL. It reads all your codes, plus gives all of your live data from your sensors, and a whole bunch of other performance oriented stuff (which, of course, I would never make use of on public roads :whistling: ). Although if you only want to check error codes, the free software that comes with the ELM327 works fine.

Only downside of OBD-II readers is unless you wanna pay a premium for a top range device or a Toyota IT, you can only read generic OBD-II codes. So if you get an error which is a Toyota specific code, often generic readers won't pick it up.

it seems lik the aurion system doesn't like a change in fuel. put 91 in on tues (been running on 95 lately) wed put in 98, 20 mins later the bells and whistles start again. after trying several "factory resets" it would go for half hour and ding up it comes again. I then filled up on 95 and after one more reset it has not appeared again. so one cant cancel the fuel as a cause, even though I did.

Maybe it's not the change in fuel but the quality of the fuel supplied over there. Just another possibility. I would doubt you car has become sensitive to fuel changes... but once again, you never know with these cars.

Maybe it's not the change in fuel but the quality of the fuel supplied over there. Just another possibility. I would doubt you car has become sensitive to fuel changes... but once again, you never know with these cars.

fuel quality has been an issue here before. due to the high price of 98 here $1.50 ltr it might not be as good quality due to slower sales, not sure of petrol life in the underground tanks. there would no doubt be octane sensors for the EMS maybe these are the cause.

• 5 weeks later...

Well it would seem my car is trying to tell me something.

When I pull into my driveway, it's force of habit to undo my seatbelt as I approach the stop. Occasionally I undo it that little bit too early and it sets off the seatbelt warning. Well just then, as I pulled in, I released my seatbelt. At the exact same time I got that ding sound and thought I was a little too quick. Split second later I noticed that it didn't repeat so I looked at my dash and I see the Check VSC Error once again.

It's been a little over a month since I last got the warning so I'm trying to figure out now what I am doing that is setting it off.

I think I need to invest in a ScanGauge so I can read the codes. I am guessing that most likely those ABS/VSC errors again.

The only thing I can think of that would be upsetting the system is my recent fun with lift-off oversteer while going around roundabouts and taking tight turns with more speed that usual. Surely that can't upset a system though that is designed to keep an eye on wheel slip.