Possible ECU SMT Failure??

mrs

Hi All,

Need some advice!!

I drive a 2003 MR2 Spyder.

Issue: It stalls/dies when idled (eg. at a traffic light/stop sign etc.) It feels very weak, when and if it is able to move from 1 - 2, and when it gets moving there is a clunk sound when transmitting from first to second gear.

Toyotas 1st diagnosis: After diagnostic checks - Clutch disc worned out. (Which is appears strange as it has a SMT)

However after confirming that they have reseted the ECU etc. and that it was not an electrical issue, they replaced the clutch set.

After replacement, the car wasn't responding still.

Toyotas 2nd diagnosis: ECU failure/malfunction - needs replacement, As inital tests from the computer gave them incorrect results.

Has anyone experienced this before or knows the solution?

I've read some forums with a few others having similar issues, but they didn't specify the resolution.

HELP please!

Thanks in advance.

Edited by mrs

• 6 months later...

these have a conventional clutch, so of course it can wear out, but not normally till 100,000+ km's

premature wear however, could be a sign of a long-term problem with the clutch actuator circuit (slipping)

whislt they have had ECU failures, it is more likely to be in the pump or actuator circuit.

after the clutch is changed, you have to follow a process to reset the clutch position sensors so it "knows" the new position of the clutch release bearing. if you dont do this, the car wont take off at all.

I would be looking very carefully at the supposedly worn out clutch and talking very carefully to the repairer so you understand what you are being told.

I had to fix one with this exact fault recently