GOT MY VAREX =]

ApBPaul

Now I'm not here to get flames for this, so if you want to go on about how crap it is and whatnot, just don't bother saying so here. I know there is a lot of negativity towards these mufflers, so no need to emphasise that.

Anyways, I thought I would chime in and add my photos. Like I said, I was not going to settle for the cannon Varex, so I bought some oval ones and hoped for the best.I was meant to get my Varex fitted on Friday, but Pipeworx refused to even try it stating "we have already tried to put those on an Aurion with no success. We have tried every possible way of fitting it and it just wouldn't work". I don't like taking no for an answer so I got a second opinion from the guys at Right Price Exhausts just near work and they said they can do it. For cutting/welding and whatnot, Right Price have been good for me before, so I have no issues with them.

After getting home and plugging it all in and coving the cables in loom to prevent them cooking, I drove around for a bit. The end result is that when the valve is closed, it sounds on par with the stock exhaust. With the valve open though, it sounds a little louder, kind of like the Super Cat resonators that Rowan and Elgin have had fitted. The only difference is that there is absolutely no drone inside the car. I've sat in Elgin's before and around the 2000-2500 RPM mark, it feels like its making more noise inside the car than outside. Not the case with the Varex.

The one thing however, is that when it is fully open, it is comparably more quiet than when I had my cutout placed just behind the resonator. I'm guessing this is because the exhaust has to travel through some more pipe, plus the construction of the Varex has a little bit of baffling in the straight pipe section. In this context, I kind of miss my cutout. I guess I may need to remove the resonator next then. Anyway, enough with the chatter, on with the photos. Yes I know it would be better if it were a little higher, but this is as high as it can go:

dsc03559y.jpg

dsc03560.jpg

dsc03562klb.jpg

I could take some video later, but the video at the beginning of this thread is just about the same.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that looks great man!! congrats!! :)

i'm glad that someone finally did it... lol

personally, i think you should remove the resonator... that way, it'll still be quiet, but you can open the valve and it'll sound like the car should sound... ;)

Good job Daryl, bet your glad to finally get them on. They look good.

I hate to be a party pooper but Im a little turned off by the lowness of it. Hope it doesn't scrape easy.

Despite the fact that they look like they are hanging lower, the centreline of the tip is only a very slight amount lower than the stock ones. It's just because of the muffler design that there is some extra muffler body towards the ground. It doesn't look as serious as the picture shows. As well, I've gone over varying surfaces and speed bumps and it clears it perfectly fine.

But I completely agree that it 'looks' too low. I would say because you can see so much shininess on the muffler body itself, it stands out obviously. I'm not a fan of shiny stainless steel muffler bodies, so nothing a little matt black can't resolve:

dsc03569.jpg

cant wait to hear it daryl!! looks mint! i thought it would sound like your cut out more than mine and elgins mufflers

elgin has a different muffler to me tho that is why his has alot more drone than mine. we both have supercats but his is a 6 inch cylander muffler and mine is a 6 x 9 inch oval muffler that is a bit longer too. less drone but same noise all round.

ur catchin up daryl....ur catchin up ;)

BTW....great choice in spraying it matte....there was to much shinny there

Edited by ELEGNT

i would have agreed that they looked rediculous if they were cannon mufflers, but because they're oval ones, i dont think they look too bad...

but they're yours, so you do want you want... hahahaha

either way, i'm just stoked you got them!! :)

Man you guys spend some money on crazy gadgets......

so who is next to get a "turbonator"????????

c'mon be the trendsetter LOL

What can you do? Of course there are going to be others that spend their money in ways which one wouldn't approve, but there is no need to have a go at them for it. Yes, I know I'm not performance minded and want to turn my car into the most powerful machine it can be, but that's just me. Why does there need to be a problem with that? Anyways, I don't see why this topic needs argument or negativity.

DJKOR: Hey, just wondering so did the oval varex fit in perfectly? or did u have to make adjustments for them to fit?

thanks

I wouldn't say it fit perfectly as if it were perfectly when compared to the stock muffler. Make adjustments for it to fit? It was simply put up into the area where it was going to stay and then welded into place, pretty much like any aftermarket muffler would be.

All I was saying was that it seems that the majority of Aurion owners won't do something unless DJKOR does it first kind of thing.

As a varex muffler is kind of a gimic so to speak and has no real proven track record as far as HP increase I was wondering who would be the first to get another gimic "the turbonator"?? It seems so many want to be able to say " I got me a varex" so why not add a turbonator??

No harm done there is it?

Darryl I think it looks good from the back maybe just a tad low but not that bad.

All I was saying was that it seems that the majority of Aurion owners won't do something unless DJKOR does it first kind of thing.

As a varex muffler is kind of a gimic so to speak and has no real proven track record as far as HP increase I was wondering who would be the first to get another gimic "the turbonator"?? It seems so many want to be able to say " I got me a varex" so why not add a turbonator??

No harm done there is it?

Darryl I think it looks good from the back maybe just a tad low but not that bad.

I hear where you're coming from SB. I completely agree that this Varex is a complete gimmick and bought it knowing that it's not going to do anything to make my car go faster.

I do agree that a lot of us in the Aurion board here are kind of following one another. First there is one mesh grill, now it's becoming like standard gear for the Aurion. Now the eyelids. It seems that about the only thing that is separating most of us are our choices in rims. As can be seen, the trend around here is to go for aesthetics. I must say, some serious performance modifications are needed to be done, but unfortunately this is not going to be me. My Aurion barely sticks to the road with the power it is given at the moment, so if I wanted to make it quicker, there would be quite a bit that needs to be done before hand.

Now is the time that I save up for a house. The difference in the Varex and a CES exhaust to me was $1000 and for my last modification to my car, I decided to get the Varex. Essentially it's just a 2.5 inch straight though muffler so I can get that note that I like, but also quiets down when I drive to various job sites and when I am the late night designated driver for all my friends. I just couldn't put up with always quiet, or always loudest legal. That's just me. Just a shame that it means following a trend going around. I just don't want to be though of as a stupid just because I'm not making my car perform any better. It's just a car that I need to drive around to get me places, and I want to feel comfortable in it. This thing may only see the track once.

No harm done and no offence taken.

As for that 'turbonator' thing, if you would like to have a laugh (I'm really sorry sera709; I don't intend to be mean), this has already been attempted.

Turbonator has been around for years and originated in the US funnily enough!! :toast:

It claims to do wonders but it never seems to show any gains on a dyno... go figure LOL

has everyone forgotten about 313, he's not running varex, and his car is terrific laying down a 14.4 recorded!!!

whitestivo

I see the argument there.... but a member by the name of jess_w pulled a 14.51 in a stock AT-X hire car. That was quite a surprising result when she came along.

I would be guessing that the 0.08s difference between ELEGNT and jess_w could be justified in the differences in grip and suspension in the AT-X, together with driver ability. In a way, since I would say there is no gain in performance by changing just the rear mufflers to straight through 2.5 inch, at the very least you don't LOSE any performance by swapping the mufflers to such.

man, please tell me that when i saw you tonight on milton rd the valve was shut!!! cause it was quiet as!!!

anyway, in real life, the size of the tips and the mufflers are really not noticeable... they look completely stock when driving behind it... :D

oh and in terms of SB comments about everyone following each other... i put it down to this...

the aurion isnt exactly a 'cash cow' for business's to develop things for it...

ie, its not a skyline that there are million and one different options available to you...

therefore, once someone does something and its proven to achieve certain results (ie, noise when you want, quiet when you want), then its only natural for people to follow that person... and for the record, its not just "because daryl did it"... in terms of the varex's there were two (from the top of my head) people before him to go down that path...

its just like the sportivo boys and the CES equipment...

CES have a certain products that work and people are happy with it... now, majority of sportivo's get the "CES treatment"...

why? well, why would you waste your money on R&D when all the work and money has already been spent? doesn't seem smart...

any way, thats my 0.3cents... (**** recession is killing me! lol)

man, please tell me that when i saw you tonight on milton rd the valve was shut!!! cause it was quiet as!!!

What you heard was the exhaust completely opened. It is essentially no different to Rowan's or Elgin's, or yours (?) in terms of noise as it is a 2.5 inch straight through (with those perforations along the pipe). It was quite busy out there last night and I didn't really take it past 3000 RPM. But yes, in comparison to when I had the cutout on, the Varex is pretty quiet. It sounds a little smoother and less hollow though.

I haven't done anything just cos Daryl's done it. In fact the only thing we both have in common is the sports grill (I think I had mine first, but everyones got one now so it doesn't count) & bypassed intake path which I saw on ToyotaNation before I saw that he had done it as well.

oh and in terms of SB comments about everyone following each other... i put it down to this...

the aurion isnt exactly a 'cash cow' for business's to develop things for it...

ie, its not a skyline that there are million and one different options available to you...

therefore, once someone does something and its proven to achieve certain results (ie, noise when you want, quiet when you want), then its only natural for people to follow that person... and for the record, its not just "because daryl did it"... in terms of the varex's there were two (from the top of my head) people before him to go down that path...

its just like the sportivo boys and the CES equipment...

CES have a certain products that work and people are happy with it... now, majority of sportivo's get the "CES treatment"...

why? well, why would you waste your money on R&D when all the work and money has already been spent? doesn't seem smart...

any way, thats my 0.3cents... (**** recession is killing me! lol)

Ash I understand what you are saying in regards to the Aurion. But at the same time span in the life on the Sportivo Corolla as compared to the Aurion I did exactly that.Sportivo had only been on the market for 4 months and i forked out the $ and got a system made. It worked really well and when people heard about it and I posted pics etc it got a lot of interest. I then went back to CES and approached them about putting it into production plus thay had received quite a few enquiries about it as well. The rest is history so to speak and I'm sure that the Aurion will have a longer life span than the 3 odd years that the Sportivo Corolla existed on the new car market.

I guess it just comes down to somebody putting up the $$ and being the big guinea pig for the big bad Aurion.....

FYI CES did do a full system for a TRD Hilux(custom exhaust manifold and full stainless system with custom mufflers etc etc.) Car sounded brilliant and performance improvements were very noticable. Owner was taking car to have tune down with aftermarket computer but has never been seen or heard of since....