GOT MY VAREX =]

ApBPaul

hey guys just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with their varex muffler?

the motor on mine stopped working so i took it somewhere to have a look and they said it was stuffed and i should replace the motor with something of better quality?

i asked around on a few other forums and there are others having the same prob? is it common?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The motors on mine were still running fine. They had survived quite a lot of heat given the use my Aurion had. Even after all the banging around they got at the beginning of the week, the flaps still operated and the motors were fine.

One common way to blow the motors easily (not saying this is how yours wore out) is by operating them once they have reached full open or full closed. Holding the button down for any more an a second once the motor has reached the limit can cause the windings to burn out and this is even more of an issue when the exhaust (and therefore) the motor is hot.

From looking underneath my aurion i can see that there is no way a varex can fit perfectly without welding a 90 degree elbow to the flanges!!!!! Please reassure me! :)

No need for any 90 degree bends. They can just form some new pipework to the muffler but with different bends. Just look at this pic where you can see the pipe to my Varx (just off the photo):

dsc03751a.jpg

Quick question.. What if you're not fully satisfied with the oval varex and want to get deeper note? Would adding a different muffler other than the stock fill this wish? :D

Depends on which type of muffler you get. The Varex is fairly straight through as it is but there are mufflers out there that can make things just a little louder... but more drone. From there, you then start playing with different resonators etc. But you are better off in the first place with a full exhaust.

Huh? Where about under the car would we install the other muffler?. Hmm.. If all resonators are made to minimize the drone, what's the difference between the varieties? Just the level of drone it minimizes?

I'm still planning to get K&N filter. Say a stock exhaust is on 1, without a resonator is 4. what number would oval varex 2.5" inlet be without a resonator when fully opened and the number if we add K&N filter, fully opened as well? 1 being the lowest and 15 the highest. I know this is kind of dumb, but this is the only way I can picture it roughly..

Damn Vick... you're going to do my head in, LOL. When I was referring to other muffler, I meant as in if the Varex doesn't satisfy, then replacing them with something else.

In terms of volume, the Varex is just about the same as any other sports/straight though muffler. You are best finding someone with any aftermarket exhaust on their Aurion to get an idea of how it will sound. Basically, it is still fairly quiet with or without a resonator believe it or not.

When the engine is up past 3000RPM with WOT, adding an intake will add more volume than just changing the rear mufflers alone. Removing the resonator in addition to having rear mufflers will add more volume to the rear when revving. The exhaust will give you the low down noise and the intake will give you noise in the upper band.

It's hard to explain mate with comparative figures. You are best looking for someone with something similar, or just diving in and making some changes.

LOL.. Anw, Cheers for the effort Daryl. I'm wonderin if it's worth the money to do the changes to get what I want. I guess I'll just add the filter and see what happens. I like HKS in the youtube for Camry, and been wonderin if they have any for our Aurion . Since I have no idea how muffler actually can / cannot fit into our Aurion, I didnt bother lookin around bcoz none of us had anything apart from Varex not to mention the risk if it didn't go well although the chance would be small.. :lol:.

Thanks people, I'll keep you posted.

The motors on mine were still running fine. They had survived quite a lot of heat given the use my Aurion had. Even after all the banging around they got at the beginning of the week, the flaps still operated and the motors were fine.

One common way to blow the motors easily (not saying this is how yours wore out) is by operating them once they have reached full open or full closed. Holding the button down for any more an a second once the motor has reached the limit can cause the windings to burn out and this is even more of an issue when the exhaust (and therefore) the motor is hot.

ahh ok yeh theres a good possibility that could be the case.. im going to replace it with another motor and see how i go:)

• 5 weeks later...

More questions for Varex.

Do the oval 2.5" inlet, as most of us use these, pass the emission test? I'm on my way to have it engineered to get a certificate so my car will be lawful on the road and apparently, the exhaust has to go through this test. Has any1 done this before??

Edited by VF-X

• 1 year later...

I just bought a Soundracer V8 for my son to have in his 1999 Laser.

Cant say much about it other than to say that for $35.00 it should be a bit of fun when he takes some of his senior friends out for a drive.