Resetting the ECU

Northy

the ECU is constantly adjusting it's parameters. "Resetting" it just makes it start from scratch again, and it learns it's way back to how it was... depending on your fuel and driving style etc etc. You do not have to reset the ECU when you modify the vehicle, it will learn over a couple of hundred K's.

The purpose of "resetting" and ECU is to clear error codes when there's a problem.

But....What is it exactly what it learns? Which is going to be the difference for the ECU if my driving style is more or less agressive?

Thanks!

AB

It learns how far to advance/retard the timing based on if the car pings.

e.g if you decide you wish to run 98 octane fuel, then do an ecu reset and flog the car it will advance the timing further than before and take advantage of the higher octane fuel.

The same as if you were to increase airflow, the ecu would learn the timing/fuel combo based on the new airflow readings.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 years later...

My vehicle is Toyota Hilux Model: RZN149R-PRMDKQ, Engine: 3RZ - FE  2694 CC, 1997 - 2005. Petrol Engine, Dual Cab.

My question is Does my vehicle have a ECU installed?

Yesterday I installed 2x  new Ignition Coil which I purchase from EBAY Australia and NO spark coming out from the coil through the spark plug 

1 hour ago, Ken A Lakale said:

My vehicle is Toyota Hilux Model: RZN149R-PRMDKQ, Engine: 3RZ - FE  2694 CC, 1997 - 2005. Petrol Engine, Dual Cab.

My question is Does my vehicle have a ECU installed?

Yesterday I installed 2x  new Ignition Coil which I purchase from EBAY Australia and NO spark coming out from the coil through the spark plug 

Yes, your car has electronic fuel injection (the 'E' in 3RZFE) which means it will have an ECU

• 2 weeks later...