What does this button do?

TRD1

The shift lock button? Cant find reference to it in the manual and it does not seem to do anything when driving?

Any ideas?

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.p...1030971.071.JPG

All I know is, it allows to lever to other position when the car is off.

Once the car is off and key is out of ignition at P postion, you can move the lever around when you push it.

Most new automatics prevent you from shifting out of 'Park' unless your ignition is in the 'ON' position and you foot is on the brake. The 'Shift Lock Override' allows you to shift out of 'Park' at any time (even with the ignition off and your foot is off the brake), in the event that your battery is dead or you don't have your key.

Dude how did you get that build number. Do you work for Toyota (I suppose not or else you wouldn't have asked the question you asked)? Did you preorder the TRD Aurion?

Hey there,

No dont work for Toyota. But my Dad did for 40 years and I've owned toyotas all my life.

It was really just luck I guess.

I ordered mine the week they were released. (September 07). They were released on a Tuesday and I ordered it on the Thursday night.

When I ordered it the dealer looked up to see if any of my colour were currently on the production line.

He said there wasn't so it would be a month or so as they were only producing them in batches.

Then about a week later he rang back saying he had located one that was sitting in the factory at Melbourne unallocated. He said it took a bit of convincing to get it ordered but he eventually did it and it would save me from waiting till they produced another batch.

When it arrived at the dealer he rang me up and said guess what you are never going to beleive it, you got #1.

I did not beleive him until I went down there to pick it up.

I'm not sure why it had been put aside at the factory and whether toyota had any plans for it, I suppose I was lucky enough to order the right colour combination at the time when there was no others on the line?

Cheers.

I may need to be corrected on this but another handy use of the shift lock as I found with my old Prado is that even with the engine started and your foot on the brake pedal it still won't shift out of park if your tail lights have blown be it globes or a fuse so it's another indicator that you could be cruising around with no brake lights.

As I said, i don't know if this is applicable to the Aurion but the Prado has the same shift lock...

I may need to be corrected on this but another handy use of the shift lock as I found with my old Prado is that even with the engine started and your foot on the brake pedal it still won't shift out of park if your tail lights have blown be it globes or a fuse so it's another indicator that you could be cruising around with no brake lights.

As I said, i don't know if this is applicable to the Aurion but the Prado has the same shift lock...

Yeah, that can happen as well. Lucky for us though, the Aurion has LED brake lights, so we should never need it for that reason.