Monroe GT Gas or KYB Excel G?

chicaboo

I've nv been happier.

Took my mate on a ride who use to ride a S15 and is impressed by how tight it maintained around corners and yet is still comfy enough.

We started going down a straight and he thought I was on stockies not knowing much about rollas/stivos. Showed him around corners ....

:P :P :P :P :P :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy happy as ..............

good work ;)

Both the front shocks were leaking, the left one being quite bad (no pressure left in the piston).

The rears look fine to me still, so I might store them upright and compressed so they are there for a rainy day.

Gav.

I think a few of the guys are letting their stockies go in here if u want ...

I've nv been happier.

Took my mate on a ride who use to ride a S15 and is impressed by how tight it maintained around corners and yet is still comfy enough.

We started going down a straight and he thought I was on stockies not knowing much about rollas/stivos. Showed him around corners ....

:P :P :P :P :P :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy happy as ..............

good work ;)

If I can't say so for you as well ;)

:lol:

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the appropriate part no. for our stivo for the KYB Excel G Shocks? Is there a difference between Rear and Front? :-l

It's amazing what 10 seconds on the KYB website can tell you

Front - 334377 L, 334376 R

Rear - 341338 L, 341338 R

And there's a very obvious difference front to rear, as the front is strut-type and the rear is torsion-beam style, so the shocks are completely different.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

plus the front shock part number there i think comes with the same bottom end of the strut so it will just bolt in as opposed to butching your stock struts just to get other ones in like koni's

plus the front shock part number there i think comes with the same bottom end of the strut so it will just bolt in as opposed to butching your stock struts just to get other ones in like koni's

The front part is a sealed strut, so it completely replaces your stock strut (you'll need springs though obviously), this is standard practice for MacPherson-strut cars.

another reason why u'd go kyb over koni :P

Since this has come up again.

Update: Now I've had the KYB Excel G in the car for a couple of months (with Eibachs), everything has settled in, and the car feels good.

With the stock Bridgestone Turanzas, I find it challenging to find a tyre pressure that gives light steering vs a comfortable ride though. :P

But for now I have settled for 33psi in the front and 31psi in the rear for comfort. I have tried 36 and 40psi all round, and it's very bumpy.

Why am I talking about tyre pressures so much? Well, with the Turanzas it plays a vital component in the suspension, maybe not so much with other tyres?

Generally I find the Eibachs to be exceptional, except they do highlight quick short bumps in the road, much the same higher tyre pressures do.

Now, finally onto the KYBs. I still find them to be too soft for the Eibachs, they might be spot on for Kings, but I can't give you that feedback.

All in all, the KYBs feel comfy, but are a bit slow in the bump/rebound on the touge, so the front tyres in particular, will skip on bumps (slow reacting?).

The Eibach/KYB combo makes for a very safe neutral chassis balance, with no surprise slap over/under steer like you get in the stock suspension setup.

The car is perhaps not as enjoyable as you might find with a twitchy rear end, but I believe a bit of that can be reintroduced with adjustable camber/castor.

That's all for now.

Gav.

Any way now you girls have had your hissy fit, back on topic the pick out KYB and Monroe is KYB correct?

yes!!!!

==================================

ZZEmo forum ......... *whip crack*

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any way now you girls have had your hissy fit, back on topic the pick out KYB and Monroe is KYB correct?

we pretty much established that in the first page :)

+1 its already been established.

ken and i are using the hissy fits to keep the thread alive so as to communicate the superiority of the KYB's to as many memebrs as possible . . . .

+1 its already been established.

ken and i are using the hissy fits to keep the thread alive so as to communicate the superiority of the KYB's to as many memebrs as possible . . . .

i guess that if you are only comparing the kyb to the monroe.. anything else im sure others have sworn by the koni yellow, fsd and of course the whole range of coilovers..

/democracy engaged

yes, agreed - but each person seeks to satisfy their own specific requirements within their mechanical abilities and budgets!

/end democracy

yep, pretty much what i tried to say in the last post i guess.. no harm intended :)

• 11 years later...

I have used these Monroe GT Gas on my Camry and support the Australian Market, however the rear shocks are of China quality and do not last more than a few months. 
They fail first with the smallest slushy squeaky sound and then progressively gets louder and  worst over the weeks that follow. Complete rubbish design, I would steer well clear of this brand as the quality has gone downhill. I only wish I had read the forums beforehand because it seems to be a consistent problem in the market for Commodores and the like. The ride is too bouncy even after using these with King Springs and the warranty support is a joke.. They do not answer you and even will hang up after you have given them the labour receipts and repair cost because even the HQ know it's another customer telling them something they already know in Australia.