Few HID Question

magic

i would use a relay harness to prevent any potential damage/melting of your stock wiring if they can't handle HID. you won't notice the damage to the wiring till its too late so its best to prevent it.

another good thing with a relay harness is you can modify it to have a headlight delay-off feature found in chryslers and mercs :ph34r: or does the new toyotas have that feature already?

got a n00b question

what is the headlight delay off feature?

sounds very self explanatory, but can anyone please explain what it is exactly?

cheers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would use a relay harness to prevent any potential damage/melting of your stock wiring if they can't handle HID. you won't notice the damage to the wiring till its too late so its best to prevent it.

another good thing with a relay harness is you can modify it to have a headlight delay-off feature found in chryslers and mercs :ph34r: or does the new toyotas have that feature already?

got a n00b question

cheers

When the headlights are on and you turn them off and engine off the low beam stays on for 45sec or more to "light your way home" when you get out the car.

Im making one for my halogens as I find it useful to me. The way I did mine is a very basic form of the feature but its fine by me

got a n00b question

cheers

When the headlights are on and you turn them off and engine off the low beam stays on for 45sec or more to "light your way home" when you get out the car.

Im making one for my halogens as I find it useful to me. The way I did mine is a very basic form of the feature but its fine by me

Hey Chicken,

Can you please give more details on how to actually get it done on the car ?

keen to know more !!

im waiting for some plugs to arrive but i basically got a relay harness and replaced the relay with a delay-off relay.

i'll post more details when its all done

Thanks Chicken!!

will be waiting :toast: :toast: :toast:

im waiting for some plugs to arrive but i basically got a relay harness and replaced the relay with a delay-off relay.

i'll post more details when its all done

Sounds good Chicken! Interested to see how it turns out.

On the hand, I'm no expert when it comes to electronics.. but with HID's, it's the initial draw to fire up the ballast that causes the most load on your wiring. Hence why some opt to go for a relay harness. Once the ballast is up, the constant 35w draw to the lights is fine. A harness is cheap compared to the potential damage that may occur in the future.

im no expert either but yeah i read that hid ballasts use 6A at start up and 3A continuous

I read in many places that running the HID kit without a relay would just slowly damage the wiring over a period of time because of the exact reason you guys have mentioned, that is the start up current draw is lot more than what the electrical system was designed to handle..i ordered a HID relay harness from ebay..:)..i still havent got my HID kit yet so will wait for both the relay and HID kit to arrive and then do the installation.

3 suggestion...

1 - dont get 55w kit as they are ultra bright and will blind anyone passing you...

2 - get 4300k , 5000k or at max 6000k kit, they are all white color as mentioned above and ofcoz lessen the chance of getting you pull over for possible vehicle defect...

3 - lastly, make sure if you do install the kit, readjust the beam to (lower the beam sightly...) so again it doesnt blind those passing you...

enjoy your conversion... :)

HI, would I be right in saying a 55W globe is a 5500K globe? just differently stated.

Edited by peregrine

Nope,

- 55w globe would just result in a brighter light due to the power provided.

- 5500K globe simply refers to the colour temperature on the Kelvin scale.

A couple of examples for you (in terms of HID):

1. You could have a 55w HID kit but the bulbs have an output colour of 4300K. <-- This does not make the output 5500K just because of the extra 20w, it will still be 4300K - just EXTRA bright and provide extra glare.

2. You could have a 35w HID kit but the bulbs have an output colour of 5500K.

If you are going to get HIDs, please do not get a 55w kit..

Nope,

- 55w globe would just result in a brighter light due to the power provided.

- 5500K globe simply refers to the colour temperature on the Kelvin scale.

A couple of examples for you (in terms of HID):

1. You could have a 55w HID kit but the bulbs have an output colour of 4300K. <-- This does not make the output 5500K just because of the extra 20w, it will still be 4300K - just EXTRA bright and provide extra glare.

2. You could have a 35w HID kit but the bulbs have an output colour of 5500K.

If you are going to get HIDs, please do not get a 55w kit..

Good example provided Ken!

can i just ask, why are you guys recommending that HID kits are installed on the low beams rather than the normal driving lights?

So what i gathered, correct me if im wrong (im getting HIDs installed + Aftermarket foglights)

- dont get 55W HIDs

- must aim the beam lower to reduce glare from other drivers (is this possible for low beam???)

- buy a relay harness (how many would i need? 1? 2?)

is this correct? the dollar seems really good atm so im going to buy HID kit for my 07 camry. Im planning to get 10k on the fogs and 6k on the driving lights. can someone push me in the right direction? i have no experience what so ever with cars though im very keen to learn (after i finish my course im planning to do some sort of mechanic course)

can i just ask, why are you guys recommending that HID kits are installed on the low beams rather than the normal driving lights?

So what i gathered, correct me if im wrong (im getting HIDs installed + Aftermarket foglights)

- dont get 55W HIDs

- must aim the beam lower to reduce glare from other drivers (is this possible for low beam???)

is this correct? the dollar seems really good atm so im going to buy HID kit for my 07 camry. Im planning to get 10k on the fogs and 6k on the driving lights. can someone push me in the right direction? i have no experience what so ever with cars though im very keen to learn (after i finish my course im planning to do some sort of mechanic course)

I dont think anyone is recommending that HID kits should be installed on low beams rather than the normal driving lights but people usually install them for low beams.

I dont think people will usually get 55w HID kits as you might risk frying you wiring.

You are able to adjust your low beam higher,lower and side to side.

You buy 1 relay harness for 1 set of lights. This explains why it is recommended to use a relay harness. This info is from this website.

How can I ensure that I do not fry my cars internal headlight harness?

During normal HID operation, you use only 42 watts (35W to run the bulb plus 7W in heat losses in ballast) instead of the 55 watts that the halogen bulb uses, which is less, but, during HID cold startup, and for the first several seconds during warmup, the HID system can draw up to triple the normal operating power to run the ignitor circuit during that time. As the bulb warms up, the current draw tapers down to the normal running level. By powering the ballast through a relay straight from the battery to HID ballast, the heavy load is removed from stock headlight curcuit. Triggering the relay only requires 0.1 amps, so stock headlamp curcuit has no problem powering that. A relay is just a remotely mounted heavy duty switch, and the trigger power that goes to it just draws a small amount of current through the headlight switch to run an electromagnet that mechanically closes the contacts inside the relay which in turn hooks battery power strait to HID ballast power terminal. This insures that you wont ever overdrive the ratings of your vehicle's harness.

Hope this explains it. :D

Edited by J e r e M y

how do you actualli adjust your low beam higher, lower, side to side? i'm guessing ya need to access the projectors inside the headlamps?

- dont get 55W HIDs

I dont think anyone is recommending that HID kits should be installed on low beams rather than the normal driving lights but people usually install them for low beams.

I dont think people will usually get 55w HID kits as you might risk frying you wiring.

You are able to adjust your low beam higher,lower and side to side.

You buy 1 relay harness for 1 set of lights. This explains why it is recommended to use a relay harness. This info is from this website.

How can I ensure that I do not fry my cars internal headlight harness?

During normal HID operation, you use only 42 watts (35W to run the bulb plus 7W in heat losses in ballast) instead of the 55 watts that the halogen bulb uses, which is less, but, during HID cold startup, and for the first several seconds during warmup, the HID system can draw up to triple the normal operating power to run the ignitor circuit during that time. As the bulb warms up, the current draw tapers down to the normal running level. By powering the ballast through a relay straight from the battery to HID ballast, the heavy load is removed from stock headlight curcuit. Triggering the relay only requires 0.1 amps, so stock headlamp curcuit has no problem powering that. A relay is just a remotely mounted heavy duty switch, and the trigger power that goes to it just draws a small amount of current through the headlight switch to run an electromagnet that mechanically closes the contacts inside the relay which in turn hooks battery power strait to HID ballast power terminal. This insures that you wont ever overdrive the ratings of your vehicle's harness.

Hope this explains it. :D

any updates chicken?

I've finished making the harness and just need to test it and fit it which I'll try to find time to this weekend :) I'll write a DIY guide if its successful.

I hope it works, I haven't had much luck with electrics lately :(

2i9momp.jpg

Edited by chicken

any updates chicken?

I've finished making the harness and just need to test it and fit it which I'll try to find time to this weekend :) I'll write a DIY guide if its successful.

I hope it works, I haven't had much luck with electrics lately :(

2i9momp.jpg

Great Progress!

looking forward for your DIY guide.

and good luck with it! :D

D35

Is that black box the delay module? It looks like it'll work! Let us know. :)

And for those deciding on HID, this is what 4300K looks like:

DSC03440_800x450.jpg

Hey Ken,

Thanks for the piture.

are those with projectors or reflectors?

it looks way brightter than the stock blubs !!

Yellow isnt that bad IMO, but white seems cooler :P

would the 4300k glare less than the 6000k ?

cheers

D35

Heh, they are with the standard reflectors. Which isn't that bad at all, because there is a very visible cutoff (obviously not comparable to projectors, but very similar to the stock halogen). I'm not sure which Kelvin will glare more.. If you come to the meet, you might see a few different coloured HIDs, for you to decide on and get your answer.. LOL

And 4300K isn't that yellow at all, I think it's just the pic. IRL, it's actually more of a clean warm white. When I park along side a Accord Euro (w/ HID), my colour of my beam output matches that of the Euro.

im no expert either but yeah i read that hid ballasts use 6A at start up and 3A continuous

I got my HIDs installed yesterday. I also got the relay kit installed so the kit is powered by the relay. All works good and plus i also lowered the headlight housings on both sides so it is on proper level otherwise would blind everyone else :P.. thanks for the advice on relays..

I just want to know if there is a chance i can install projector lenses for the existing headlight housing to work with my H4 xenons or do they manufacture the whole headlight housing with projector style lenses for my type of camry? the beam is going good enough already but i asked just to know as i have always loved how the beam cuts off on projector lenses :)

I got my HIDs installed yesterday. I also got the relay kit installed so the kit is powered by the relay. All works good and plus i also lowered the headlight housings on both sides so it is on proper level otherwise would blind everyone else :P.. thanks for the advice on relays..

I just want to know if there is a chance i can install projector lenses for the existing headlight housing to work with my H4 xenons or do they manufacture the whole headlight housing with projector style lenses for my type of camry? the beam is going good enough already but i asked just to know as i have always loved how the beam cuts off on projector lenses :)

well done mate :)

as for projectors, if there are no aftermarket ebay projector headlights for your car then you have to go custom. since yours is H4 its easier to go bixenon and you have a few options:

there are ebay hid bixenon projector kits that are easy to install with little modification. Azzman and Snesi_SU have used them

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=22883

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=22930

or retrofit OEM hid bixenon projectors like what czaja74 did:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=23045

Is that black box the delay module? It looks like it'll work! Let us know. :)

And for those deciding on HID, this is what 4300K looks like:

DSC03440_800x450.jpg

nice KEN33F, i notice the reflectors limited the foreground lighting too. i didnt know reflectors can do that haha. foreground limiter FTW

ive got 4300K hid kit lying around too. i prefer the oem look :D