retrofitting headlights for hids

tinno

hey all,

Im thinking of retrofitting my headlights with some projectors.

I've read a few diy's and they all involve drilling - something im not very confident with lol.

Has anyone retrofitted their lights here? I know jeremy has and that took him a good 14 or so hours to do :S

Is anyone aware of anyone who specializes or is able to retrofit headlights in perth?

any help/tips would be great.

cheers,

Tinno

hey all,

I've read a few diy's and they all involve drilling - something im not very confident with lol.

Has anyone retrofitted their lights here? I know jeremy has and that took him a good 14 or so hours to do :S

Is anyone aware of anyone who specializes or is able to retrofit headlights in perth?

cheers,

Tinno

there is a guy on ebay that sells headlights for yaris and all.. (projector of course) i think u can send it to taiwan and they will retrofit it to your spec and they will send it back. i thnk the whole process will take a few weeks plus it cost upwards 300 dollars if im not mistaken..

its been a while so i dont know if i can find that guy again..

hey all,

cheers,

Tinno

there is a guy on ebay that sells headlights for yaris and all.. (projector of course) i think u can send it to taiwan and they will retrofit it to your spec and they will send it back. i thnk the whole process will take a few weeks plus it cost upwards 300 dollars if im not mistaken..

its been a while so i dont know if i can find that guy again..

ahk. 300bux sounds crazy =/

shame there arent any aftermarket headlights for my model :(

I did mine 3yrs ago. Depends what kind of projectors you're getting, the ones that i got are from the BMW E46 (cost me $250 inc shipping from USA).

When you're baking the headlights, don't put your headlight in with the oven on. Warm it up about 5-10mins (max temp), then turn it off and put one of your headlights in for about 3-5mins. Once the silicone/glue around the edges have soften, then slowly pry the lens. You need 4 screws to hold each projector in the headlight.

Aligning them is the most annoying. But you should be able to do them over a weekend.

here is my DIY link (really old, but hey at least it gives you an idea): http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t136335.html

All the best and worst case is for you to get new set of headlights :whistling:

if you have any further questions, feel free to pm me.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

started the retrofit project. the projector's output and cutoff are a bit disappointing but continued anyway. shrouds are on their way but they are gonna be a bitch to fit in these lights. there isn't much room in there since i have to accommodate for projector aiming.

here's what they look like without shrouds

post-8229-1246288460_thumb.jpg

they look good chicken!

im goin to redo mine again when i have time to find some proper projectors :) yummy i want those big fat ones! :D

what projectors do you have on? my projectors are 3inch lenses and they are massive. i think 2.5" projectors would be best

Edited by chicken

they look good chicken!

im goin to redo mine again when i have time to find some proper projectors :) yummy i want those big fat ones! :D

what projectors do you have on? my projectors are 3inch lenses and they are massive. i think 2.5" projectors would be best

looks awesome dude !!

gotta show me how to do that when ur done =P

looks awesome dude !!

gotta show me how to do that when ur done =P

cheers mate :D, ill post pics on how it was done which is pretty much the same as how czaja did it.

i received the shrouds. test fitting, a lot of cutting has been done since then :unsure:

post-8229-1246597053_thumb.jpg

Chicken how come you not putting HID's in?

i'd love to get hid projectors but its mainly the costs involved. the cost of HID projectors (uses D1S or D2S bulbs) are not bad but the oem hid bulbs and ballasts are $400+. i've got cheap H7 halogen projectors so its plug n play with the corolla and if i want hid i'll buy an ebay hid h7 pnp kit for like $100.

cheers :)

If you already have a kit, all you need to do is buy some bulbs, the ballast and leads are all the same. And D2S bulbs are cheap by themselves off ebay. I just had to replace mine bulbs since one started to die.

Small projectors are easier to retrofit since they dont need as big of a hole or need as big of a housing to fit them in :)

Edited by STYLSH

If you already have a kit, all you need to do is buy some bulbs, the ballast and leads are all the same. And D2S bulbs are cheap by themselves off ebay. I just had to replace mine bulbs since one started to die.

Small projectors are easier to retrofit since they dont need as big of a hole or need as big of a housing to fit them in :)

are you serious?! damn it i want those hid projectors now lol

the halogen projectors i got are ok... strange cutoff pattern but i got colour

4metres

post-8229-1246850091_thumb.jpg

7metres

post-8229-1246850129_thumb.jpg

these projectors have a foreground limiter so it projects light down the road not in front of the car (thats for foglights) where you can't see it from the drivers seat.

the passenger side is aim too far to the right and thank god i used the rotational mounting method, definately needed that.

yeah i wish i got 2.5inch projectors it would have saved a lot of time from butchering my shrouds :(

hey brad as requested :D but might go hid projectors after all

post-8229-1246850868_thumb.jpg

Edited by chicken

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the comments guys, car definitely needs wash.

on the way home i realised that one projector somehow rotated abit :( strange since it was level before.

im still using stock halogen bulbs and visibility is about the same as stock

hey jeff sorry i don't have time to provide that service this one took me a few months to do lol. but after doing it, there are a few things i would've done differently, so i can give advice on that :)

ill post pics of the process of retrofit soon :D

pics this morning

2gydcfs.jpg

256v11x.jpg

2hx8uwj.jpg

Edited by chicken