LC100 Fuel Consuption

HarryJohn

Hi All,

I have a 2000 model 100 series landcruiser. It is my first one and I have only had it for a couple of months. My concerns are with the fuel consuption. It is a 4 spd auto petrol and on average I use 25-28 l/100k (Around town driving). i know they are not the most economical vehicles but I was expecting around 18-20 l/100k.

I don't know much about cars but I have noticed that it is blowing a fair bit of black smoke and the muffler seems fairly loud as well compared to the other 100 series. I've taken it to the mechanic and they can't seem to find anything wrong with it.

So if anyone has any ideas of what could be wrong or even if this is normal then I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advanced.

Edited by HarryJohn

• 10 months later...

How may k's has it done mate?

When was it last serviced?

Shouldnt be belowing black smoke, think it either needs a dam good service or something is wrong.

Try putting in some injection cleaner for starters, might help?

Also check you tyre pressures, if they are way out it wont help your economy.

Biggest way to save fuel is use your right foot as little as possible, lol.

Anyway for comparison, Iv'e got a 2003 V8 petrol auto, normally get around 20 l /100 around town, not very good I know but it is a 4.7l V8 fuel guzzeling monster.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Harry,

If it's blowing black smoke it sounds like it's running very very rich. I suspect you may find your spark plugs quite sooty, although they won't be the cause of the problem.

I would hazard a guess that you have a Mass Air Flow sensor that is no longer working properly. Typical if the vehicle has been used offroad and quite likely to have been damaged by water especially if you do not have a snorkel. Another thing that damages MAF sensors is the use of oiled air filters, like a K&N or Finer Filter. The oil stains the sensor wires and it no longer provides the engine with accurate flow readings. Get rid of aftermarket filters and stick to genuine paper filters.

Given the age of the vehicle, I'd say this would be an item to replace anyway. There typically is NOT any error lights or warnings when the MAF sensor is out of spec. These are throw away items, so don't bother trying to clean the sensor wire. Just get a new one, and throw the old one in the bin or carry it around as a spare part which is potentially faulty.

Of course, check to see that your air filter is clean.

Check your auto transmission fluid condition - if it looks burnt, then you may be having transmission issues. Check your tyre pressures and alignment. Get rid of any unwanted weight or roofracks from your vehicle.

And disconnect the caravan when you're just driving down the road for that loaf of bread. :D

Edited by tempestv8

• 1 month later...

Hi Harry,

If it's blowing black smoke it sounds like it's running very very rich. I suspect you may find your spark plugs quite sooty, although they won't be the cause of the problem.

I would hazard a guess that you have a Mass Air Flow sensor that is no longer working properly. Typical if the vehicle has been used offroad and quite likely to have been damaged by water especially if you do not have a snorkel. Another thing that damages MAF sensors is the use of oiled air filters, like a K&N or Finer Filter. The oil stains the sensor wires and it no longer provides the engine with accurate flow readings. Get rid of aftermarket filters and stick to genuine paper filters.

Given the age of the vehicle, I'd say this would be an item to replace anyway. There typically is NOT any error lights or warnings when the MAF sensor is out of spec. These are throw away items, so don't bother trying to clean the sensor wire. Just get a new one, and throw the old one in the bin or carry it around as a spare part which is potentially faulty.

Of course, check to see that your air filter is clean.

Check your auto transmission fluid condition - if it looks burnt, then you may be having transmission issues. Check your tyre pressures and alignment. Get rid of any unwanted weight or roofracks from your vehicle.

And disconnect the caravan when you're just driving down the road for that loaf of bread. :D

The oxygen sensor in the catalytic converter can also cause that problem makes it run very rich

• 3 months later...

Just an update on my fuel consumption.

Having fitted the kiwi mpg monitor a few months ago, (works great by the way) the cruiser is averaging around 17/100, mainly driving short trips into town ect.

Sitting on the freeway at 110km returns approx 17/100, sitting at 100km returns approx 15/100 and sitting at 80 returns approx 13/100.

Towing a 3t boat bumps the fuel consumption up to around 27/100, not recommended for long distances lol.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, I am new to the forum.

What is the Kiwi MPG monitor you are talking about?

I have a 100 series on petrol LPG I am in the same boat I get 25L/100km around town (driving modestly). I read with interest the comments about the "sponge- oil after-market air filters and the damage the oil vapors do to the air sensor, I will try a Ryco paper element filter. I will methodically work around the problem, what I want to know is what other 100 Series owners on LPG are getting around town with a small blend of highway cruising (Hopefully better than 25/100KM) Regards - Justice