Advice on price for used Corollas

Hi everyone, I'm new here, just about to buy my first Corolla, after recently getting excited about them, especially reading the awesome things being done by owners and seeing the great pics. I'm looking forward to working on mine in the years to come.

It's my first Corolla, so could I ask some advice on price? I have one in mind which is being sold by a dealer in Perth. It's not an ex-rental, only 1 previous owner, log book is all ok. Feb 2006 model, so still almost 1 year new-car warranty. 57000kms. Metallic paint.

They're asking $17k, which I thought that's a bit steep, as '08/09 models are $18-19k - not much more expensive. I like the earlier model though, it feels more comfortable to drive.

Could I ask some advice as to what price I should pay, what to look for, etc? Are their any specific issues with Corollas I should look out for? Should I pay a bit more and get a more recent model?

Thanks for any advice!

Mate if you are going to fork 19K for a three year old car you may as well throw in another couple and buy a new one.

I was also looking at buying a used corolla for my wife, but I saw what prices people were asking I decieded to go for new.

There some really good deals out there especialy if you go for manual gear box and 08 plated, amy be 20k.

I am picking up my wife's 09, corolla hatch, ascent, safety pack , auto for 23.5 k

Thanks for the advice guys. I've got them down to $16,500 with a free service thrown in (which is due next month anyway). That's the limit of my budget, can't afford another $3k for new, and I really prefer the older model anyway.

The model is "ZZE122R 5Y ASCENT HATCHBACK 5DR AUTO 4SBPL 1U.8EI" I have no idea what the different models are - is there a comparison list somewhere? Is this a good model for the price?

[ed] 2006 model with power front windows. Registered in Feb '07 hence still just under a year of man. warranty.

Many thanks!

Edited by CaveBison

Hard to tell on the price, but for an indication the market value on my 2005 Manual Ascent (She will be missed!) a few weeks ago was only 12.5k. That's with about the same k's as the one you're looking at. Now I know autos attract a higher price, and it's likely from the next batch after mine, but a full 4k more sounds a bit much. It is an ascent after all, not a Conquest!

Lets be honest its a buyers market - Keep the negotions going!!

Its the base model but Series 2 facelift hence the power windows.

Redbook has the following for a PRIVATE SALE

Private Price Guide $13,700 - $15,500

Now $15k being 45,000KM.

You need to remember that you are one buying from a dealer and two this is only a guide.

I would go back offer $14,500 and they will come back with a lower offer and you both end up meeting about half way.

Like i said - Buyers market!!