Kluger parking sensors useless!!!

wilsact

QUOTE (capeli @ May 4 2009, 10:58 PM)

I had factory front and rear parking sensors fitted, thinking they would save the paint work on a big car, but they really haven't proved to be much use. They beep for items meters away, don't work very well when in motion or turning, which all leads to a lack of trust in the system. I end up ignoring the beeping and do things the old fashioned way.

The rear camera does come in useful when reversing and parking, and more useful than the sensors.

Glad someone agrees about the Kluger parking sensors. They are by far the worst system I have used. I even had mine checked as was convinced they were faulty, but local

dealer stated they were working within specifications......YEAH RIGHT!!!

I have used parking sensors on various vehicles from other manufacturers, and none worked like this. It is like the Kluger ones are too sensitive, they even beep when nothing appears to be there.

Agree they are next to useless as the false beeps are so off-putting that you soon ignore the system altogether!!!!

Edited by wilsact

Got factory ones (matching the color) - front and rear. I have Grande but I don't think there is anything Grande-specific there; they were on Kluger options list for all models as far as I remember.

Rear ones work perfect - I had rear sensors on my previous cars and do not see any difference with Klugers'

Front ones - slightly over sensitive (can be adjusted by the dealer I guess but I liked them that way) and angle is a bit wide (because of the nudge bar perhaps) - but still usefull. Once in a while they start producing constant beep... for which I have an on/off button. Happy with them in general.

They are definitely from Toyota and the same on both models.

Yes but they are not fitted in the factory.. They are tacked on here and probably aren't even made by Toyota. They are dealer fitted.

They are definitely from Toyota and the same on both models.

Yes but they are not fitted in the factory.. They are tacked on here and probably aren't even made by Toyota. They are dealer fitted.

They are not fitted in the factory, they are dealer fitted.

The sensors I have came with Toyota fitting and operation instructions and also had a Toyota part number, including paint code; different colours had different numbers as they come painted to match.

I think some dealers may fit different sensors that don't come from Toyota.

Mine is front and rear and working within expectation. I tested it using a mattress. Same as the others, included in the delivery and has toyota brand on the installation document that came with it.

Just had sensors fitted to my Kluger, they work well on walls, garage door etc, but seem to be too high to pick up smaller cars - their bonnet is lower than the sensors. Nearly rubbed a Falcon today!

Cheers, Trent

My rear sensors are overly sensitive, going off on speed humps etc, sometimes when there is nothing there at all. I've turned them to half volume so I can still hear them fine but rely more on the camera and my our eyes. Next service I'll try and get them adjusted, last time they reckoned they were fine (fobbed off). But what use are they fine you cannot trust them?

My rear sensors are overly sensitive, going off on speed humps etc, sometimes when there is nothing there at all. I've turned them to half volume so I can still hear them fine but rely more on the camera and my our eyes. Next service I'll try and get them adjusted, last time they reckoned they were fine (fobbed off). But what use are they fine you cannot trust them?

Yeah this sounds exactly like mine. Definately not working as they should. I have used them on various other cars and 4wd's, and they definately should not operate like they do on the

kluger.

Dealer also fobbed me off, so will be interested to see how you go. I will definately complain about them again at my next service.

Good to hear though that not all members have this issue with them.

Cheers

Edited by wilsact

They are not fitted in the factory, they are dealer fitted.

The sensors I have came with Toyota fitting and operation instructions and also had a Toyota part number, including paint code; different colours had different numbers as they come painted to match.

I think some dealers may fit different sensors that don't come from Toyota.

Mikeyboy, did you fit them yourself? Or did you just see the fitting instructions after they were fitted? I'd be interested to know how difficult they would be to install. Sounds like a fun project :)

Mine's working fine. They should be factory fitted as the front sensors come with a built in button for activation.. then again its a easy switch to mount.. :)

They are dealer fitted. I had to take the vehicle back to the dealer several weeks after delivery to have them fitted as they were on back order.

Hi all,

just ordered a kx-s awd with front and rear sensors.

delivery mid-june.

When they install the sensors is there anyway to install an off/on switch for front/rear sensors and can the sound or distance be reconfigured or adjusted by a switch/button.

so I know before they install the sensors they can install a switch before I take delivery

thanks

Mike

Mine's working fine. They should be factory fitted as the front sensors come with a built in button for activation.. then again its a easy switch to mount.. :)

They are dealer fitted. I had to take the vehicle back to the dealer several weeks after delivery to have them fitted as they were on back order.

Hi all,

just ordered a kx-s awd with front and rear sensors.

delivery mid-june.

When they install the sensors is there anyway to install an off/on switch for front/rear sensors and can the sound or distance be reconfigured or adjusted by a switch/button.

so I know before they install the sensors they can install a switch before I take delivery

thanks

Mike

The switch that is installed by Toyota only controls the front sensors, it is not linked to the rear sensors. To turn the rear sensors off is a hassle as the switch is located on the unit itself, which is positioned behind one of the rear pannels. This topic has been discussed in detail in the following thread:

Parking sensors for Kluger KX-S, Parking sensors - are they really necessary ?

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up my KX-R AWD over the weekend with front & rear parking sensors. The sales person told me that the sensors were genuine, but an installation manual left in my glove box for the rear sensors is not a Toyota document. I wasn't given a manual for the front sensors. Just wondering how do you tell if the parking sensors are Toyota genuine?

• 3 weeks later...
The sensors I have came with Toyota fitting and operation instructions

Hi all. Can someone with the fitting instructions for the Toyota rear sensors scan them and drop me a PM for my email address? I'm going to fit aftermarket ones but I'd be really interested in seeing the Toyota fitting instructions. May make locating the relevant wiring a little easier. If anyone can, I'd really appreciate it.

I'll take some pictures along the way and post a 'how to' guide too for anyone else wanting to fit aftermarket ones themselves.

Cheers.

• 11 years later...

Hi all. My wife's 2017 Kluger with factory rear sensor buzzer not working. I've checked all the fuses, all good. So maybe a faulty buzzer? Where is the buzzer?  Hard to find when not working. I read somewhere there is a switch for hi / low / off? Cheers CHRIS 

Edited by CHRISBYLES
more info'

On 12/29/2020 at 7:11 PM, CHRISBYLES said:

Hi all. My wife's 2017 Kluger with factory rear sensor buzzer not working. I've checked all the fuses, all good. So maybe a faulty buzzer? Where is the buzzer?  Hard to find when not working. I read somewhere there is a switch for hi / low / off? Cheers CHRIS 

Hi Chris. Does it have front sensors and if so, does the buzzer chime on frontal situations ?

If yes, then it's not the chime. Could be a dicky rear sensor/s. Also check the molex connector for connection issues. Dirt can foul the signal. My Aurion has sensors both front and rear and I dare say that it may share the same system as the Kluger. Sometimes the rear works and sometimes it doesn't. I put it down to possibly the quality of the sensors because I've checked everything and found no issues. It's not the best system to be honest. My wife used to rely on the stupid thing before she backed into the corner of our house and scuffed the rear bumper. Made me mad, and so I told her to rely on the camera and use the mirrors a bit more. All this technology is dumbing our senses and making us worse drivers. Back in the day, I would park my XD Falcon on a dime as they say, and that had no power steering, no parking assist rubbish, nothing. Look at us now lol.