tyre wear

scottf

hi ive done 30k on my kxr ive just noticed on the front tyres they are bald in the centre of the tyre but have good tread all over the rest of the tyre . I havent had a wheel alignment for a while but have never seen this with all my other cars has any1 had a similar problem and what tyres do u recomend and prices ?

Thanks

You most likely to change 4. I guess you use the search button for the tyre recommendation.

I personally will use Michelin but they are pricey, still cheaper than stock 19" tyres though. Not sure about 16" in Kx-R

... ive just noticed on the front tyres they are bald in the centre of the tyre but have good tread all over the rest of the tyre...

What pressure do you inflate your tires to? Usually wear in the centre only versus even wear indicates over-inflation.

I had the same problem with my KXR with 17" tyres. Noticed the wear problem about 29K, had the dealer do a wheel alignment at 30K and rotated the good tyres from back to front. Flaming dealer service was useless :angry: , same problem after 5000K so I took it to my usual mechanic who knows what he is doing. Tyre Pressure - I run 35psi all round, provides good wear, contact and roll.

I have a Aug 07 build AWD and just got 30,000 k service done and all tyres have very even wear and servicable legal tread left. The dealer rotates at every service and the brake dust blackend mags of the front appear on the rear afterwards.

I really don't see new tyres needed until 40000 ks mark, but at 40001 I reckon a canary would be issueable. I guess I lucky.

Edited by fish475

thanks for info i spoke to friend he said my tyres will be overinflated it says on the plate tyre pressure 210 kpa when testing the car was at 275kpa way overinflated i just got it serviced but not sure if they touched the tyres ?will see how it goes they are the 17's

Scottf, My KXR 2wd (Oct 07) has just hit 60,000 km and the centres of all 4 showed the same wear at the same point as yours, they have been rotated at every service and the spare hasn't been on yet.

I put the centre wear down to running at 40psi at high speed on hot roads in North QLD and NT, and a lot of rough gravel roads in the outback loaded up with camping stuff.

They are still above the wear bars, but I will replace them soon as I get a bit worried that there isn't enough meat to handle stoney roads.

But anyway I am happy that they have lasted this long but I am having trouble finding replacement rubber... in fact there appears to be only Michelin available that are quiet highway tyres..... but at $450 I really hope they last well over 140,000km.

Does anyone know anyone selling Michelins at a discount?

Why not investigate toyos (http://www.toyo.com.au/OPHT.htm) - very happy with them on Grande 4wd, and they probably out-rate M on wear and performance.

I have decided to never fit M based on really bad past experience - crap!

Yes kwach10,

I looked at those and got quite excited especially with the wear factor and price, but the load rating is lower than that which the compliance plate requires; Toyo OPHT are 105H, compliance plate requires 107S.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

That is odd. I thought my 19 inch was only 103, and compliant?

How about bit more off road: http://www.toyo.com.au/OPAT.htm

kwach10,

The 19" tyres are only 103 according to Toyota, (wonder why the difference between them and the 17")?

I think those offroad tyres might be too noisy as 90% of our driving is on bitumen, however I will check them out, thanks for the suggestion (and research).

• 14 years later...