MACRI

Central Locking Issue

No problemo. Happy to help out.

On 9/30/2010 at 1:24 PM, vickyd18 said:

*******************  I HAVE TRIED ALL THE TRICKS HERE ON MY 2005 ALTISE TO NO AVAIL. BUT I NOTICE IN THE VEHICLE HANDBOOK IT SAYS TO RESET ECU BRAIN FOR LOCKING/UNLOCKING, SIMPLY TURN KEY TO 'ON', THEN PRESS 'DOOR' BUTTON ON THE TRANSPONDER. THE DOORS LOCKED AS NORMALLY FOR ME.   HOPE IT DOESNT REGRESS TO BAD HABITS. ************************************

Hi,

As of this stage I am facing exactly the same problem, each and every bit of it same, except that I have a 2003 V6, automatic model.

I took it to a registered automobile shop and they fixed the problem at the cost of almost $550, it worked a couple of times as it was meant to but, after a day it started acting up again the same way, the bad way.

Any suggestions as to what you did to make this matter simplified.

Thanks...

Ok, I just fixed my 2007 series 36 Camry.  I tried all the electronic solutions to no avail, but thanks for all the suggestions, they gave me hope.  I decided to think outside the box and inspect the mechanical aspects.  Bingo!  I noticed that the lock button on the inside of the drivers door didn’t seem to go all the way in as it was meant to.  It would spring out a tiny bit instead of snapping into place.  I removed the door panel and found that with a bit of jiggling I was able to push the lock cable (the lower one) a bit further into the door mechanism.  Button clicks down, fob and door switch work as they should, problem solved, (at least for now).  The other suggestions mentioned here are totally logical and probably the most likely to succeed, but if none of them work for you, check the lock button and cable

Edited by Cwala

The comments about getting a good result from fiddling with the lock button, and then the problem coming back later, made me think it might not be an electronic issue.  In my case it turns out that it wasn’t.

My otherwise  "perfect"  Daily driver  - '98 Camry V6  has developed a l problem with it's Central Locking system.   

At first,  I thought it was (my)  advancing senility,  forgetting to lock the car.... but eventually realized that it was randomly unlocking itself.  First it was only doing it overnight, or a long period of standing,  but became more brazen and would send an   'UNlock'   - ALWAY  unlock,  never LOCK -  pulse to all doors while driving.  This was disconcerting but still safe. 

Then it started to flash the hazards a couple of times whenever it did this.  Usually twice,   then occasionally /  continuously.... as I drove...  Not a great look  for other traffic !  Oddly enough,  operating a turn signal for a few flashes usually stopped the hazards, as did holding "LOCK"  on the dash swich, - mostly.  That alone is worrying, as it suggests the same module for DOORS,  is affected by turn indicators...

Due to only having one    (original,  1998 vintage battery...)  remote fob, I've been using the key to lock/unlock,  and this is where the first clue hit me over the head.  Doing either would sometimes result in a series of pulses - usually UNlocking... which points to the lock-switch as being on the way out.  - Very sensitive to the slightest amount of rotation...  So yes,  the switch felt like the villain.  Easy solution;  - Use the fob only.

Round One:-  ,   a pair of  new  GENUINE  Toyota remote fobs  programmed for Two Stage Unlocking  with the surviving original.

Nope,  still would totally unlock overnight. 

Round Two:-    unplugging door-lock switch,  fortunately they missed hiding it,  so only needed to remove driver's door card.😉  Just done that,  so no idea if that will work.  Yet.

'Everyone'  blames a faulty actuator for weird faults,  particularly the Driver's door,  but....

EDIT.     Anolther evening and morning....   parked all day out in the sun  - previously a sure-fire way to generate the fault -  and it's behaving itself.  I reckon it  always was the switch operated by the door key.  Interesting, as unlike previous vehicles,  turning the key in the lock  ONLY turns the switch,  not the door locking mechanicals.

- Or to put it another way,  my car is now  100%  "Keyless Entry"  ;)) 

Edited by superquag
Update